Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

looking for some advice...

I found two spots on the trunk of my car...with some run off streaks going down the back of the car (over the tail lights and dumper).

At first I thought it was some weird salt formation (I live around NYC, cold/snow). But I could not get the spots to come off with basic soap and water. If I use my fingernail, I can rub off some of thinnest parts of the streak, but the circle spots (about 3-4 inches in diameter) have barely changed.

I park my car in an indoor garage of my co-op building. I believe the spots came from the water dripping down from the pipes. My guess is that it is really hard water coming from the pipe.

since my guess is that it's hard water spot... could the CLR stuff be used to remove it?

any suggestions?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
one solution is to use white vinegar and water mix. At most 50% white vinegar. Otherwise I think detailing sprays will work also.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
i tried the vinegar trick on the sunroof..but to no avail..anyone else try it? am i doing something wrong?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Really? I used about 50/50 white vinegar/water mix and it cleaned up my whole car quite nicely... You used white vinegar right?

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Really? I used about 50/50 white vinegar/water mix and it cleaned up my whole car quite nicely... You used white vinegar right?
is there more than one? HAHAH wow im stupid..
its clear right?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
hehe... just make sure it says white vinegar... should be clear :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
If what you have is a deposit (i.e calcium) then vinegar should do the trick.
However, if it's etched into the paint then you'll have to polish it out with a mild compound or polish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks!

Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for the info. The white vinegar solution did the trick. a before and after pic...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Sweet! :thumbsup:

Hard waterspots are annoying... I didn't even know I had hard water till one day I washed my car... my whole car (windows, paint, chrome) were all covered with those nasty spots... I used the white vinegar/water solution and it cleared it all up :nod:

Then I had to wash my car again cause my whole car smelled like vinegar :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts