Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around here for the past few months - and I want to thank everyone for all the good input, photos, and shared experiences. I've enjoyed (and benefited) from reading the "G35 vs. TSX" threads. Now that I'm close to finalizing my decision, I'm hoping to get some last minute thoughts & opinions to think about.

Some background: I'm currently at the end of my A6 2.7T lease -- it's been a great car, and I've been one of the lucky Audi owners who hasn't had any major problems with the car. It's a beautiful car with a smooth ride ... but it's a little big for me, and now that it's time for a new one, I've decided to re-allocate my spending - a little less on the car, a little more on the savings account :)

I took a test drive last week and pretty much made my mind up on a TSX - MS / Quartz with Navi.

Then I went to the Infiniti dealership and test drove the G35 Sedan (auto, premium, perf. pkg).

The TSX was a fine car for my limited test drive -- handled well, felt great, cool navi. The price (and especially value for the price) is great. It made me smile. The G35, however, got my heart pumping. It was an exciting car to drive and I put a deposit down (impulsive as I am).

I'm off to test-drive the TSX one more time - there's a weekend special going on (damn them!). I'm going to try to see if they'll let me keep her for the night ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

G35 +
6-cyl (bawls)
Handling
Exterior look (w/Aero)
Power seats for both drive & pass. (memory for driver)
Reclining rear seats (you've gotta see them to believe it)
Sat. radio (Sirius) from factory
"Birds-eye" navi view

G35 -
Price
Gas mileage
Yellow/amber gauges

TSX +
Price
Handling - crisp
Overall "look" -- Euro-elegant, understated
Crisp interior
Excellent gauges
Comfort
Gas mileage

TSX -
Acceleration lag
No sat. radio "built-in"
No pass. elec. seat
No auto window (except for driver)

As you can probably tell, the list of +/- is almost petty.

I need to really weigh the $ and see if the G35 is worth that much more. It looks like we're talking about a TSX in the high $300's vs. a G in the high $400's (maybe low $500s, won't know until Sept).

Any advice, thoughts, etc. would be MOST appreciated. I'll probably spend tonight & tomorrow making up my mind.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too was torn between the g35 sedan and the TSX.

Both cars are great to drive and are a definite value for the money. But in short, I gave in to the TSX, the interior refinements in the car are top notch, and can definitely compare and maybe even better the interior of the g35.

As you mentioned about the look, I too was fascinated by the "euro-elegant' look of the TSX. Definitely unlike any other car on the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too looked at both cars and although I LOVED the power and responsiveness of G35, let me share a story with you. This winter on a busy highway in Connecticut, during a moderate snowstorm, there were three cars that could not make it up a hill and had to pull off the road. Mind you...not a backroad, but a snowy highway. They were a BMW 325i, an Infiniti G35 sedan, and a new Nissan 350Z (Infiniti G35 coupe). I decided that day that as long as I live in the northeast, I will not buy a rear wheel drive sport sedan. Consider this if you live someplace that it snows. Otherwise...go with your heart. (whenever I do decide to buy, it will be a carbon grey TSX)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dmghent- thanks for that thoughtful tidbit. I live in Boston, and have been through some tough winters (Quattro is really nice in snow!). It's been a good dozen+ years since I've driven a RWD car.

Copacetic- it's so damn subjective! After everyone complained about the "cheap" G35 interior, I was surprised by how much I liked it ... EXCEPT for the plastic "titanium-look" center panel ... it's a little cheesey, and one scratch away from looking like a broken toy. OTOH, the TSX I drove was ebony interior, and g-d does it show the dirt.

I still like the TSX dash & guages - but I hate having to add-on a Sat. radio that doesn't link up with the "system."

----

After my initial post I went back to the Acura dealer and took the TSX out for a good 45 minute workout.

I can't say I'm "in love" with it ... it's certainly nice, but it's definitely a 4cyl. The handling was great, but I did feel some sway in the rear going around a double S-curve (same road I took the G on). BOTH are still better (stiffer) than my A6.

I got a good look at the Meteor Silver -- I know a lot of folks call it "girlie" but I really liked it - crisp, sharp, clean ... and on this hotter than hell day, it seemed a little cooler than the blue/ebony that I drove.

ARGH!!!!! I guess it speaks well for both cars that this is such a hard decision for me. I also looked it - briefly- an A4. What a disappointment - so many folks brag about the quality of Audi interiors ... but they've really gone down-hill since I got my 2000 A6 - the plastics are "cheaper" and the leather doesn't feel as luxurious. Just from a "feel" perspective I ruled the A4 out without a test drive.

I appreciate the input!

-MJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
My friend (I'm helping him with his car purchase decision) has the same problem as you do. The G35 was Motor Trend Car of the Year. The Accord (TSX) I believe was Japanese Car of the Year? So obviously both are great. However, you seem to lean towards the G35. If you just absolutely can't love the TSX now, I doubt you ever will. However, the big thing is that you live in a snowy area. I had a DIRECT comparison of FWD vs. RWD a few years ago up in the mountains. 1997 BMW 540i with traction/stability control, vs. a 1992 Toyota Camry XLE 4 cyl with nothing. 540 was all over the road, while the Camry had absolutely no problem. So I have to say that you have the snow traction heavily. DO NOT rely on electronic aids to save your butt in snow, they DO NOT WORK. If you have another car to drive in the winter, that's even better because it means whatever car you buy won't be subjected to salt and other elements.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well then, if youre willing to pay a little more then I suggest you go for the G! Both are wonderful cars and are a "good bang for the buck". Although the g35 has an unbelievable powertrain, the TSX combines vehicle refinements into one great package.

In the end, I think youll make a good decision because both vehicles are notably admired and respected. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all... you can welcome me (officially) to the club on or about 8/30 when I take delivery of my 5AT/Navi/MSM/Quartz TSX.

It was a really hard decision, but a few things came up when I went back to the Infiniti dealership...

1. Interior- the "titanium-look" plastic really rubbed me the wrong way. My s/o was with me and found a scratch. He picked at it, just a little, with his fingernail ... and violla, it was now a chip. Couple that with the amber LEDs, and it just had an overalll "cheap" feeling. Yeah, power up/down on all windows and driver + pass electronic controls are nice ... but the TSX just "felt" better inside.

2. Price. I don't want to sound like a snob - I'm coming from an A6 and could easily afford either car - but if I'm going to throw $140/month more at a car - and have to keep it for 6-9 months more on a longer lease - I need to feel that I'm getting sufficient value for it. The equation just didn't add up for me.

When I left the dealer, the sales manager did try to pull the "prestige" factor on me ...

"you really can't compare that little 4-cyl entry level car to this ... 250-280hp, 6 cylinder ... this is a 'real' luxury car"

That actually made me feel a whole lot better about my decision.

-mj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts