Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found my TSX, but it is at a dealer 600 miles away in another state. Right price, 4 miles on the odometer, it's the one (I’ll share the details after the deed is done). I plan to work the deal and pick it up this weekend but…. I’m clueless on making this deal remotely.

Any areas I should be concerned about:
o Out of state transaction?
o what I need from the dealer before I put a down payment on my credit card ?
o any insight to how I might get screwed on this deal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

btw - I plan to fly out and drive the car back.

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
If you know anybody in that area, get them to look at the car for you.

Not only does it ensure the car is actually there, they can go and see if the car is what you expected.

As for out of state transactions - check for local taxes and registration fees that might be needed.

You may not be able to drive the car off the lot until you get the temporary licence tags.

You'll probably be dinged for the sales tax - but check with your local state departments to see if if you have to pay tax there, at home, or a combination of the both.

Sorry for the mess in this post, brain is running in too many different directions.

Edit:

Before putting down anything, have them either courier or fax all documentation - not just what you need to sign, but everything, just in case.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Revenent has all the right ideas,

I would also maybe put in there ask for digital pics or once on site look for damage. As for the registration, watch out for property taxes (some states) and sales tax.. You might end up paying for both.

Just a side question, why not go thru a Dealer in your town, they can look in the database and have it shipped, therefore saving you the 10 hour drive..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
My Arctic Blue Pearl TSX came from the State of Kansas (Superior Acura in Overland Park, KS), at the time (May 2003) I lived in Chicago, Illinois. The dealers around here were having a hard time keeping TSXs in stock, let alone Carbon Gray (my first choice) and Arctic Blue. I ordered my TSX through a dealer in Missouri....and they did a dealer trade with that dealer in Kansas. I got my TSX and I ended up paying both Kansas tax (8.5%) and Missouri tax (6.75%).

I suggest getting the dealer to locate a car you like and trade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Revenent said:
If you know anybody in that area, get them to look at the car for you.

Not only does it ensure the car is actually there, they can go and see if the car is what you expected.

As for out of state transactions - check for local taxes and registration fees that might be needed.

You may not be able to drive the car off the lot until you get the temporary licence tags.

You'll probably be dinged for the sales tax - but check with your local state departments to see if if you have to pay tax there, at home, or a combination of the both.

Sorry for the mess in this post, brain is running in too many different directions.

Edit:

Before putting down anything, have them either courier or fax all documentation - not just what you need to sign, but everything, just in case.
Revenent, thanks for the feedback.

I don’t know anyone in the area but prior to making the cold call to the dealer, I peeked their inventory online and saw that the car was at least shown to be there. I then just asked “what you have on the lot” and they mentioned this one.

Good advice – I’ll check the whole Tax and Registration thing out. My guy did mention that he would be able to set me up with 30 day temp tags to get me rolling.

When you say “ALL” the documentation, what should I be asking for? This is where I need some help.

·
13,780 Posts
Sometimes they just show you the sheets with the price and the financing stuff.

I remember when I bought my car, there was another whole section talking about the finality of the contract, the lemon laws, state regulations, etc, etc.

Took me about 20 to 30 minutes just to go over it.

Basically, I'm talking about the fine print stuff. I can't be more specific 'cause I think it's really area specific information.

Edit: But I'm with AC - if you can get a local dealer to trade, then it makes your life a whole lot simpler.

Plus, you can start a good relationship with a local dealer and hopefully get something out of it.

·
13,780 Posts
Agent_Chen said:
My Arctic Blue Pearl TSX came from the State of Kansas (Superior Acura in Overland Park, KS), at the time (May 2003) I lived in Chicago, Illinois. The dealers around here were having a hard time keeping TSXs in stock, let alone Carbon Gray (my first choice) and Arctic Blue. I ordered my TSX through a dealer in Missouri....and they did a dealer trade with that dealer in Kansas. I got my TSX and I ended up paying both Kansas tax (8.5%) and Missouri tax (6.75%).

I suggest getting the dealer to locate a car you like and trade.
Did you get to deduct the tax?

Like pay one side and what you paid on that side counted as credit on the other side?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are killin’ me. All 4 dealers in my state are telling me March before they’d have something close to what I want (and I’m not being too picky – getting a TSX with navi can be a b*tch these days).. There’s got to be a way to make this deal work without too much hassle?

Not sure why I didn’t pursue the dealer locate path other than they all talked about the expense of shipping the car out and none of them were really acting like they were ready to deal or pursue that path. And my LOCAL dealer that I really wanted to start a “relationship” with asked me to put money down and when I asked for a VIN# of the car I was putting money down on, he back peddled and fed me the “oh I won’t have the VIN for about 3 weeks” line. Come to find out, all the other dealers confirmed (blindly) that that model didn’t exist in his pipeline.

So I found this dealer, this car, and the price (even with the cost of my trip out) was fine. Besides, what better way to bond with your new TSX than a 600 miles road-trip, right?

So I’ve got to make sure I only pay my home state taxes. Good advice. I should be able to confirm that before I depart for the pickup.

Also, it looks like I should research state regs, lemon laws and such and make certain there are no issues there.

Any other thoughts? Are you guys going to talk me out of this?

·
13,780 Posts
If all of your local dealers are jerks, then definitely don't deal with them.

Are there any other dealers within your state, but outside of your normal area willing to do the trade?

If not, then figure out all the financing issues before you fly out there. So confirm the final OTD price (including all accessories, install costs, install times, etc, etc) and then put down a refundable deposit (just in case they jerk you around when you get there), and then go get all your financing in order.

If you're leasing, then I can't help much since I've never done that.

If you're paying cash, make sure they accept personal cheques before giving them one. For out of state, I wouldn't be surprised if they made you do a certified cheque or something like that.

Oh, and if you have points or stuff on your credit card, try to dump as much as you can on that. What I did was deposit that amount into my credit card (basically put it into a negative balance), and then pay the next day with my credit card. Great way to get those extra airmiles, credits, cashbacks, etc, etc.

At the end of the transaction, before leaving the lot, make sure you have every piece of paperwork. Also before you even go there, make sure they have the car in the state you want it.

If they say they won't have something, say the all-season floor mats, until the day after you arrive, then don't go until they get it. Having them ship the stuff to you isn't what you paid for.

All I can think of right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No financing involved in this transaction so no worries there.

I assume the dealer would want a certified check, so I was prepared on that front. But I do like the idea of slamming as much of this as possible on a credit card to reap those benefits as well.

I was planning on using a credit card to have them “hold” the car for me. That way if it doesn’t work out, at least I have Visa to fall back on.

Thanks gang.

Hope to be a new TSX owner soon.

·
13,780 Posts
Good luck. Too bad you can't have a "wingman" with you.

(I had 3 wingmen going with me when I went to pick up my car. I checked the inside, one checked the engine, one checked the back, one checked the sides and the bottom.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't see why the dealer wouldn't accept personal check. My parents wrote them one for my car back when I was in college. They even post dated it so that we would have time to transfer funds over.

·
13,780 Posts
Out-of-state cheques, especially when the owner of the item is also out of state, raises suspicion in a lot of retailers. The higher the dollar amount in question, the bigger the risk it is for the retailer.

When you were in college, at least they could hunt you down through that. Hard to falsify a college enrollment record.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I'm flying out tonight to pick it up. My assumption was wrong. The dealer will accept a personal check.

So far, so good. The dealer faxed me a Vehicle Purchase Agreement and sent emailed me a few digital pics. I'll let you know how it goes. Any last minute new car break-in tips?

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Rocky_Mtn_TSX said:
So I found this dealer, this car, and the price (even with the cost of my trip out) was fine. Besides, what better way to bond with your new TSX than a 600 miles road-trip, right?
Right, probably the best thing to do. You really want to see the car before you buy it, new or used.

And look at it this way, by the time you get back, your past the break-in period! :D

·
13,780 Posts
Rocky_Mtn_TSX said:
Thanks guys. I'm flying out tonight to pick it up. My assumption was wrong. The dealer will accept a personal check.

So far, so good. The dealer faxed me a Vehicle Purchase Agreement and sent emailed me a few digital pics. I'll let you know how it goes. Any last minute new car break-in tips?
Did you ask about the credit card thing?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts