Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for taking a look at my thread and providing me with your POV. Right now, I feel my TSX is getting stale.... I did a ton of reading a while back and now am revisiting the idea of installing an IM for more power. The last time I read up on the basic break down the RBC is better then the RRC due to low to mid range TQ (I like low end TQ). However, I would still lose low end TQ with the RBC setup, but some state you really can't feel the loss.

The RRC was sort of new to the TSX club and a couple members were installing the setup. Now that some time has passed, I would love to hear from the group if my thinking is correct or really different. The reason I didn't get the IM last time was due to low end Tq loss....

1.) RBC will use 07 TB fine (no need for J35 TB) and use Euro R air tube to use with CT-box to keep low end TQ. Best setup for the K24 motor, but getting different posts on this comment.

2.) RRC will be better for high end power, but to really use it fully would need new cams to handle the high rev. (Really do not wish to touch cams, but understand it yeilds the best power)

Important facts to know about my setup:
Pinned VTC gear (40)
Flash pro
CT-Icebox (do have Injen CAI too, just hated noise)
CT Header
WS2 Exhast
Flashpro and etunned (new setup will be etunned by vitviper too)
Auto Tranny

TIA

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You will be happy either route you go. I went w the RBC because of price. Either way you go your splitting hairs as far as power goes. Both w yield better high end breathing w RBC retaining just slightly more tq and RRC slightly more on the high end. I installed my RBC when I did the header, intake and vtc to save on tuning costs and have loved it ever since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will be happy either route you go. I went w the RBC because of price. Either way you go your splitting hairs as far as power goes. Both w yield better high end breathing w RBC retaining just slightly more tq and RRC slightly more on the high end. I installed my RBC when I did the header, intake and vtc to save on tuning costs and have loved it ever since.

How much of a difference was it compared to stock? Meaning low end power loss with the RBC? Could you really feel it or did it feel better due to the VTC gear with tune?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
There was more. The whole loss of tq as I said is marginal at best. When you combine either manifold w the vtc, you actually gain tq after proper tuning.

·
Registered
977 Posts
From my understanding the RRC performs better in the midrange compared to the RBC. I've seen numerous dyno plots that back it. Those comparisons have been beat to death as well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ive tried RBC and RRC on my own and can definitely say that i felt torque loss with RBC compared to stock RBB one, all the way to 5k rpm where RBC starts to work. Wasnt able to feel that with RRC, this manifold is great but its hella pricey.

·
Registered
258 Posts
you wont feel any loss in the low/mid range since you already have a VTC tuned to 40*. So it really comes down to which manifold you like better. RRC picks up gains in the mid and high end, over the RBC- you also gain in price.

I have an RRC/50* VTC/J35 setup and i couldn't be happier. miles better than stock. haha

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you wont feel any loss in the low/mid range since you already have a VTC tuned to 40*. So it really comes down to which manifold you like better. RRC picks up gains in the mid and high end, over the RBC- you also gain in price.

I have an RRC/50* VTC/J35 setup and i couldn't be happier. miles better than stock. haha
Hmm...For just under a grand I can install this setup with a tune. However, I still think my Auto is going to rob me of the true power most feel from this mod. I am almost ready to just save up for a CT SC due to the Auto fact and enjoy the lower end Tq it provides with it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hmm...For just under a grand I can install this setup with a tune. However, I still think my Auto is going to rob me of the true power most feel from this mod. I am almost ready to just save up for a CT SC due to the Auto fact and enjoy the lower end Tq it provides with it.
honestly, with the auto trans, you're gonna lose a bit of power with any scenario. How much tq do you think a SC will make OVER the RRC/45* VTC upgrade? I bet its not much (unless you upgrade the boost/pulley).

Best of luck to you in your quest for moar powah! :p

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
honestly, with the auto trans, you're gonna lose a bit of power with any scenario. How much tq do you think a SC will make OVER the RRC/45* VTC upgrade? I bet its not much (unless you upgrade the boost/pulley).

Best of luck to you in your quest for moar powah! :p
That is what I was trying to get to number wise.... How much gain would I have from a SC vs RRC setup, with both using the VTC 40* However, I can't really find soild data from TSX owners to see what that break down would be.

·
Registered
977 Posts
That is what I was trying to get to number wise.... How much gain would I have from a SC vs RRC setup, with both using the VTC 40* However, I can't really find soild data from TSX owners to see what that break down would be.
Are you trying to compare SC numbers to RRC/RBC numbers??

·
Registered
235 Posts
my car made 220whp on a dynojet with RBC, 3.5" intake, Weapon r header. in the next month I am adding a 3" exhaust, 45vtc, j35tb we shall see what the gains are. since my RBC swap i must say i could not have been happier. but you can't compare a SC to a manifold swap lol. its oranges and bananas. Obviously you can make more power with a supercharger. depending the setup you go with you can run a rotrex blower with an RBC/RRC mani,higher vtc, cams..ect and you can make 350whp with not a problem. It all comes down to how much money you'd like to spend.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you trying to compare SC numbers to RRC/RBC numbers??
I would like to yes...most of the numbers I have seen thou is off of an 6 speed and not an Auto.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my car made 220whp on a dynojet with RBC, 3.5" intake, Weapon r header. in the next month I am adding a 3" exhaust, 45vtc, j35tb we shall see what the gains are. since my RBC swap i must say i could not have been happier. but you can't compare a SC to a manifold swap lol. its oranges and bananas. Obviously you can make more power with a supercharger. depending the setup you go with you can run a rotrex blower with an RBC/RRC mani,higher vtc, cams..ect and you can make 350whp with not a problem. It all comes down to how much money you'd like to spend.
See, I think I am limited in what I can do with an Auto. 6 speed I would agree with you 100%. I like the idea of an RBC due to it being like the CL9, but would kick myself if I didn't do the RRC while there. I have everything you list above, but the j35 TB and Intake, which I would leave CT-Icebox for TQ and noise reasons.

·
Registered
235 Posts
See, I think I am limited in what I can do with an Auto. 6 speed I would agree with you 100%. I like the idea of an RBC due to it being like the CL9, but would kick myself if I didn't do the RRC while there. I have everything you list above, but the j35 TB and Intake, which I would leave CT-Icebox for TQ and noise reasons.
I am a believer for the money the RBC is worth it. Unless you plan on doing some head work and cams the RRC isn't worth it. The RBC will not be limiting your power, the k24a2 head will be. Also what ever you decide to go with make sure you port make the manifold inlet that matches up to the TB to optimize your gains.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I am a believer for the money the RBC is worth it. Unless you plan on doing some head work and cams the RRC isn't worth it. The RBC will not be limiting your power, the k24a2 head will be. Also what ever you decide to go with make sure you port make the manifold inlet that matches up to the TB to optimize your gains.
I have to agree w this...hp per $ doesn't add up unless other work is being done. ESP since you have the vtc to gain back tq.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.