Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be able to just replace the bellow/boot or should the power steering fluid not even be in the bellow/boot to begin with. Would I need a whole new rack an pinion? An does anyone know a good cheap place with warrenty online or in Florida that sells racks and pinions?

Any help would be appreciated... this sux I got this car only one month ago....

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
There should be no fluid in the boot. There is an O-ring on the shaft right after the boot. Kinda of a pain to get to. The part itself is super cheap, but the labor isnt going to be great. Try bringing it to the dealer for a quote? They might have tools to make this an easy and affordable fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is a service bulletin for this. Mine did the same and seems to be effected more in the hot climates. I'd talk to the dealer and see, i've heard of Acura comping it, they split the cost of mine 50/50 for a new rack installed when i was out of warranty. The service bulletin has the dealer rebuilding it but most just replace it and send the old one back to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you say service bulletin do you mean the Recall for the power steering because to my knowledge that was the just a hose replacement. When I called my local dealership they told me the rack and pinion was not included in the recall. Can you give me more info on how you went about it. I can get one from autozone installed by a mechanic of mine for $412 installed. I have a feeling it would be more expensive to get repaired at a dealership anyways though. How much was your bill after they paid half?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a service bulletin for this. Mine did the same and seems to be effected more in the hot climates. I'd talk to the dealer and see, i've heard of Acura comping it, they split the cost of mine 50/50 for a new rack installed when i was out of warranty. The service bulletin has the dealer rebuilding it but most just replace it and send the old one back to be rebuilt.
Could you give more info on this please?

·
Registered
332 Posts
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1XDM...38fgxzYEVpQ/edit?authkey=CJyuoZ4F&pli=1&hl=en

tsb 10-025, the seals on the rack leak and power steering is lost, fluid fills the boot. Please take yours in and let acura know. I want everyone with this to do it so they will turn it into a recall and i can get my money back. Mine was 4 years old at the time when it happened and came from southern california/arizona its whole life. The dealer up here had never heard of it but apparently the hot weather prematurely degrades the seals.

Print this is and bring it with you. I used that to say look this is a known problem and i think that pressured Acura to split the cost. You can see now theres a new seal kit part number for the rack. But don't take no of an answer, they will try that but get bitchy if you have to cause it is a problem and the more people that have it the more likely they are to turn it into a recall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1XDM...38fgxzYEVpQ/edit?authkey=CJyuoZ4F&pli=1&hl=en

tsb 10-025, the seals on the rack leak and power steering is lost, fluid fills the boot. Please take yours in and let acura know. I want everyone with this to do it so they will turn it into a recall and i can get my money back. Mine was 4 years old at the time when it happened and came from southern california/arizona its whole life. The dealer up here had never heard of it but apparently the hot weather prematurely degrades the seals.

Print this is and bring it with you. I used that to say look this is a known problem and i think that pressured Acura to split the cost. You can see now theres a new seal kit part number for the rack. But don't take no of an answer, they will try that but get bitchy if you have to cause it is a problem and the more people that have it the more likely they are to turn it into a recall.
I actually was approved for goodwill over a year ago, but I hadn't made any action on it because the cost is so high. With my issue, I had the PS pump replaced under warranty and had noted the sound at every service. It wasn't until a few months after my warranty expired that I found fluid coming out of the dust boot of my rack & pinion.

I'm going to do some digging and see where I can get, I don't want to pay 50% either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

how much was 50% because I just paid $340 for my rack an havent had it installed yet. I may just return it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's a pretty big job. My portion was ~ $800.
Same, they have to drop the subframe to get it out easily so they have a little hoist system to hold the engine up. I read it can be done with just loosening it and pulling it out the drivers side wheel well but didn't want to try. Plus this way i have a year warranty on it too. They got it in same day once the rack came in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ohh damn... well my new rack and pinion was from autozone for $344. An a buddy of mine is a mechanic an said he'd only charge me $30 an hour an its a 5 hour job so hopefully I can get it done for $150 more

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey guys I just replaced my rack and pinion along with new tie rod ends. I just wanted to share my experience and it is a pretty huge project imo.. . I bought my rack from autozone re manufactured. Its running smooth now and would definitely recommend new tie rods too.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
Hey guys I just replaced my rack and pinion along with new tie rod ends. I just wanted to share my experience and it is a pretty huge project imo.. . I bought my rack from autozone re manufactured. Its running smooth now and would definitely recommend new tie rods too.
Good to know thx :tu:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.