Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guys so I recently rebuilt my motor due to spun bearings. While it was out of the car, I added a couple of parts. My goal is to reach around 275whp on a NA build. BTW I own a 05 manual. So I have a couple of questions. 1st a friend was telling me that certain cams will work with certain compression ratio. I know that this is somewhat true but would I be fine with my current setup with stage two cams? Also I’ve heard somewhere on the forums that someone was running stage two cams and was able to pass smog (I live in California) due to his tuning. Is this true? I know to reach my goal I would need the 45* VTC, the cams themselves (debating between stages 1 or 2), RCC or RBC intake manifold, headers and cat-delete, most likely type-S oil pump, and retainers and springs.
Current setup consists of:
Wiseco 11:1 compression on stock rods
Fujita CAI
UR pulleys
Exedy stage 1 clutch
Type R flywheel​
Just ordered and on the way:
Flashpro
08 ECU​
Motor was basically built to be a brand new motor so it has ALL brand new bearings and etc and currently have 6k miles on it (motor was broken in properly). Taxes came in so I want to make sure my list is right before ordering more pieces lol. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
For that number your going to have to have the RRC manifold. As far as the cams question idk but I would contact Drag Cartel and ask their opinions. They have been making cams for the k series for quite some time and have a large knowledge of how to meet your power goals with the setup you have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
275 whp NA is up there.. I second the RRC, is there any port and polish work? Possibly 3" exhaust but I think 2.75 would do. I would have thought you would want a little more compression. Isn't 11 close to stock already??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely give drag cartel a call to see what they have. I've been looking at skunk2 and kelford also. There hasn't been any porting/polishing done to the head. I thought you only needed to do that if you were boosting/SC'ing. As for the exhaust, I play on staying with our stock system. I've heard they're pretty free flowing already. I might bump it up to 2.5 inches not sure yet and I like the dual exhaust look on our car. :squint: yea 11.1 compression is basically 09-12 TSX piston numbers. Being a college student, i needed my car ASAP and didn't have the money to tune the car after getting it back if i went with 12.1 compression.

·
True Honda Head
785 Posts
I'll definitely give drag cartel a call to see what they have. I've been looking at skunk2 and kelford also. There hasn't been any porting/polishing done to the head. I thought you only needed to do that if you were boosting/SC'ing. As for the exhaust, I play on staying with our stock system. I've heard they're pretty free flowing already. I might bump it up to 2.5 inches not sure yet and I like the dual exhaust look on our car. :squint: yea 11.1 compression is basically 09-12 TSX piston numbers. Being a college student, i needed my car ASAP and didn't have the money to tune the car after getting it back if i went with 12.1 compression.

I'm not a fan of anything Skunk2 has and I second calling Cartel.

Port and polishing will help your engine breathe better causing less turbulence and better air flow.

Dual exhaust is stupid on 4 cylinders period..

Tuning is a necessary evil and if you're shooting for 275 you'll be tuning anyway so trying to avoid that doesn't make sense

·
Registered
235 Posts
you can also call SVM they make nice cams for the k series. i the model is that svm 2.2 that make some nice power on our cars. i believe the guys name is Niko.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I will not second anyone coz hunting for digits is stupid IMHO. Hunting for pleasure is a deal !

To have a nice DD you dont need to waste money on drag cartel nor svm , its too expensive.

For pawa you need revs so upgrading oil pump and springs is a must, lots of options , id stick to ferrea as really reliable aftermarket or old good s2000 oem springs, cheap , reliable , tested and working. cams ... too many options , id stopped at st2 cams , junk2 , blueprints , and my favourite BCst2 .

good header is a must for this engine , best bung for the buck is WeaponR header , just add a high flow cat and youll b fine , for premium power my advice - ASP .

swap your intake manifold to rbc or rrc , stock one isnt working good on revs above 6k.

VTC isnt for top end power but im shure youll like the low and mid it delivers.

After all i dunno if youll reach the desired WHP on paper but all of those mods will make u happy for shure. Trust me , its no matter what digits on paper, just matters how do you like your car )

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe TODA have kits that will reach your target:
K24A (Euro) “Race Series” engine package – 260+hp @ wheels
Includes:
TODA K20A High Power Profile Camshaft (Pair)
TODA K20A/F20C/F22C Up Rated Valve Springs (set)
TODA K20A adjustable exhaust cam sprocket
TODA K20A Heavy duty timing chain
TODA K20A Heavy duty oil pump chain
TODA K20A/K24A Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
TODA K24A Forged pistons & forged I beam rods
TODA K24A Anti G Force Oil Pan
TODA K24A Head gasket
TODA K20A lightweight pulley kit (less A/C)
TODA K20A / F20C valve guides
OEM HONDA K24A upper engine gasket kit
OEM HONDA K24A lower engine gasket kit
OEM HONDA K20A engine bearings
OEM HONDA K20A valve spring seats
OEM HONDA K20A VTC Sprocket
Titanium valve spring retainer (set)
Not sure how much it'll set you back though.

If you're after top end power, you'll have to sacrifice some mid/low end torque. RBC or RRC will work, or you could go all the way and grab a dry carbon surge tank (possibly very expensive route though).

But first, I would go for a full exhaust kit. Would prob be the cheapest and most effective upgrade considering what you're currently on (stock I'm assuming). Headers, straight pipe and full cat back. Next, I would consider a new pulley kit, it makes a surprising difference (not sure in actual HP though). It's like the difference when turning the A/C off.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The number game! I remember those days.. haha. I'm still trying to make 300whp+ All Motor! If you're number hunting then I'll give my 3 cents.

You will need a big cam. Stages are manufacturer specific. Good quality cams would be Blue Print Stage 3 or Drag Cartel Stage 4 or 4.5. IPS KME are good as well. There are some new cams out that make good power as well but cant name them off the top of my head.

45 degree VTC gear but you probably wont need to go past 30 degrees

You will need a race header.. depending on budget I always say HYTECH! Also look into a bigger intake. Try something custom that's either 3 or 3.5 inch with a 70mm throttle body. Port match your intake manifold opening to 70mm as well.

Compression should be atleast 12.5:1 but if you're thinking about changing the pistons make sure you bore to 87.5mm.

RRC or RBC for an intake manifold works.. I stage 1 head port would help the K24a2 head up top if you're looking to reach those HP goals.

Upgrade the fuel rail along with injectors..

2.5 inch exhaust would make for faster acceleration but a 3 inch would get you closer to the numbers you're looking for (Words of wisdom by John from Hytech).

You need either I-Beam rods.. or you could go H-Beam for added strength. I-Beams are lighter but still durable. Stock rods will be your weak point. Stock oil pump will be your weak point as well. No need to upgrade any oil pump pins. Just get a K20a2/z1/z3 oil pump since you wont see any revs past 8600 rpms.

This should net you very close if not more than 275whp.

·
Registered
976 Posts
With your current setup and a few upgrades with stage 2 cams you would be around 250whp. That's pretty solid for an All Motor setup.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Depends on the dyno to be honest. 275 on dynodynamics?? :lol:
I wouldnt bother with SVM due to the cost and the long waiting time. On a k20 motor, they perform similar to the drag cartel 2.2, not to say that it would be similar on the k24 but as a rough reference anyhow.

275whp on dynojet, typically, i would imagine would require about 12:1CR, good intake, 70mm TB, rbc/rcc (although id like to see how well a nice ported rbb would to for low and midrange if its a DD :)), good header and at least 2.5in but pereferably 3in if your hunting numbers.

My setup is similar to yours or as recommended by some other members.
My car is dynoed to kw and not hp. A k24 untuned with comptech header, injen intake and rrc dynoed at about 120kw. Mine peaked at about 165kw to the wheels but i realised my comptech intake had only one screw holding the intake lid and the other screw was only barely holding. So im secretly hoping it was gonna gain a bit more than it dynoed to be.
So percentage wise, it was about a 30% gain to untuned k24, which is unlikely to get the 275 target.

On the road, the car is muuuch quicker. I have yet to test it as im a hater for street racers, i would be quite certain 0-60 time would be at least 6.5 secs or better. It pulls so much better off the line, and thays without launching. Peak means nothing on a DD, its whats under the curve. The dc2.2 does get a slight dip in tq at about 4-5krpms then it rises again.

If i still have the car in 3 years time, i will get custom 3-4in intake, id probably still stick to my 2.5in dual and run hytech specII cams with 12.5:1 supertech pistons with carillo rods since i have everything at home ready. I know a k24 rsx with similar mods but 3in exhaust made 293whp/224tq but that was on dynojet and on 93 pump.

NA costs a bit over time. Have you cinsidered FI?

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Btw if youre concerned about emissions, why on earth are you running a test pipe then?
Or are you gonna swap it everytime you have your car inspected? :dunno:

·
Registered
275 Posts
All motor gurus I also have been thinking of an all motor build for awhile around that target whp range and was wondering how drivable and comfortable for daily driving stage 2 cam builds and up are? My TSX is my DD and I want something responsive and fun. I was debating a supercharger, but all motor has always been more appealing.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
You will need a race header.. depending on budget I always say HYTECH! Also look into a bigger intake. Try something custom that's either 3 or 3.5 inch with a 70mm throttle body. Port match your intake manifold opening to 70mm as well.
:tu:

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
All motor gurus I also have been thinking of an all motor build for awhile around that target whp range and was wondering how drivable and comfortable for daily driving stage 2 cam builds and up are? My TSX is my DD and I want something responsive and fun. I was debating a supercharger, but all motor has always been more appealing.
It will be about 10% louder and rougher at idle with my setup. My wife reckons it sounds similar to stock lol
Its definitely responsive and fun. I personally prefer NA over the whine of a SC.
As i said, it pulls a heck of a lot more off the line, it is definitely very fun and responsive.
Dont forgetmost stage 2 cams qlso require upgrade to valvetrain.

·
Registered
714 Posts
300whp is a big goal really.

as littlebo has said its better to chase pleasure than numbers.

my current setup is a world away from where the car was when i bought it. it might not be anywhere near 300 whp but it damn feels good.

a good intake and header are a must. as has been siad the weaponR header is a very good option and gives great gains for the price. upto 20bhp across the rev range.
a good cat back 2.5" or 3" will make the most of the header. (only buy skunk2 if you like it LOUD)

i have mine with a 200cell cat and it passes our emissions check here in the UK fine. granted the cat takes away a little power but for me it is necessary.

Intake if your not to worried about money i would get the RRC. otherwise RBC is worth the money. also a bigger throttle body. the j35 is great for the price.

port matching the inlet manifold to the head is a good way to get your air flow better and make a few more numbers and is also pretty easy to do.

VTC gear is more for the low end torque. but torque makes you move away quicker so its allways gunna make it feel quicker.

as for compression ration & cams i dont know as i havnt got there yet apart from 06 tsx intake cam.

ive heard a lot of good things here about toda stage 2 but they are pricey.

luckily for you your tsx allready comes with a 4.7 final drive, ours in the uk is 4.3. it sucked donkey fith leg !

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks you guys for your input. Its greatly appreciated. Out here in sacramento , ca they're a lot of female tsx drivers so I can't really gain any knowledge face to face. As for the cat delete, I've heard from a lot of people that for cars ranging from years 2000 and up, smog shops no longer use the sniffer nor do they pop your hood for visual inspection. Not 100% on that but if that's the case that's the reason for the cat delete. Otherwise ill go for a 08 cat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
only reason i mentioned the SVM cams are because they have the least problems. Or at least people complain the least about them. DC and BC I have read about some people having issues. A bunch of guys on k20.org use all these bands and from what I have seen SVM is the way to go.
I know some cams are decently aggressive and idle like stock and give you some nice power. And as littlebo stated spring, retainers and k20 oil pump is a must. But it all depends on the budget. You do a ported RBC,3.5''-4'' intake,j35/j37 tb, header,exhaust,tune and make about 230whp which i just basic bolts on and that would wake the car up like you wouldn't imagine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts