1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Last night a drunk driver drove his vehicle into my parked TSX and the
whole left rear side cave in. The B-pillar is bend and the force is so great
that the front hood has a slight wringle on it. The shock is so great that the CD player doesn't work.

I am calling Acura Owner's care now. Not sure what's going to happen.
I hope the insurance co. not trying to fix my car, but give me $$$ for loss instead and I will get another TSX :( So sad now, as I love my car so much.
It's all bend out of shape now.

I am also in a shock (of seeing my car like that) I don't know what should I do. Any advice will be helpful.

PS. The drunk driver got out of his car and he couldn't stand straight and got arrested by the police in no time.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
OUCH!!! Sorry to hear about your car :( :( :(

Did the drunk driver have insurance?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
OUCH!!! Sorry to hear about your car :( :( :(

Did the drunk driver have insurance?
I have no idea. He got arrested by the police in a flash.

What if he hasn't had insurance ? Do I have to pay for everything ?
I mean the car is 50% gone !! :(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Damn...sad news! :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope I can claim total loss and get a new TSX.

Tough to fix a car like that. The B pillar is bend and if rear axle or transmission is likely gone too !

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Oh no!!!!!!

Sucks! But....at least there's no question how it happened and whose fault it is.

At this point, I don't think you need to do anything except wait and see what they tell you. Probably he does have insurance (most people do, even a$$holes); if not, of course this becomes harder but probably he does. And see exactly what they tell you, what they intend to do.

Except for one thing: You might have to be making some calls at various times to help push things along. Like, right now, I wouldn't let it go more than a couple of days without hearing from them before giving them a call. And at every point along the way, I'd be trying to get an idea of exactly what is supposed to happen next, and what the expected time frames are.

One of my favorite lines in such a situation is, "How long should I expect that to take, so I don't have to call and keep bothering you, heh heh heh." :D :nervous: :D :nervous:

That's usually hard for them to resist, because you're putting it in terms of their comfort (sort of), but the clear message is that if they're not prompt about things, you'll be in their face.

And if they don't keep following up promptly, DO keep bothering them. Nicely of course, for the most part, although whenever it starts getting ridiculous, a little anger doesn't hurt.

My .02.

Good luck -- hope it won't be too terrible. :donno:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
larchmont said:
Oh no!!!!!!

Sucks! But....at least there's no question how it happened and whose fault it is.

At this point, I don't think you need to do anything except wait and see what they tell you. Probably he does have insurance (most people do, even a$$holes); if not, of course this becomes harder but probably he does. And see exactly what they tell you, what they intend to do.

Except for one thing: You might have to be making some calls at various times to help push things along. Like, right now, I wouldn't let it go more than a couple of days without hearing from them before giving them a call. And at every point along the way, I'd be trying to get an idea of exactly what is supposed to happen next, and what the expected time frames are.

One of my favorite lines in such a situation is, "How long should I expect that to take, so I don't have to call and keep bothering you, heh heh heh." :D :nervous: :D :nervous:

That's usually hard for them to resist, because you're putting it in terms of their comfort (sort of), but the clear message is that if they're not prompt about things, you'll be in their face.

And if they don't keep following up promptly, DO keep bothering them. Nicely of course, for the most part, although whenever it starts getting ridiculous, a little anger doesn't hurt.

My .02.

Good luck -- hope it won't be too terrible. :donno:
Thanks larchmont, I didn't get any info from the drunk driver. I got down to see my car and he just trying to stand up and keep dropping to the ground. Police arrested him right away and his car were totally ripped apart that I couldn't see if I can find any docs. in his car. So, I don't have any docs.

Just the police said that I should ask my insurance to contact the Police Dept. for any more details info.

*sigh* There goes my dream car !! :(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Diesel said:
.....Just the police said that I should ask my insurance to contact the Police Dept. for any more details info.

*sigh* There goes my dream car !! :(
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention about YOUR insurance, because I was "assuming" that was already in the picture.

Yes, step #1 for you is to contact YOUR insurance company, and then (I think) THEY take charge of moving things along, at least at the start. Then maybe it switches to the other insurance company.....but I think still most or all of your communication is with YOUR insurance company, and they are the ones that you have to be bugging if they're not following through.

P.S. Don't necessarily assume "there goes your dream car." Let's see what happens.

And do what you can to help it happen as quickly as possible.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your TSX :(
Like Larch has said, contact your insurance company, and they'll take it from here. You may need a copy of the police report though, which you can get from your local police station.
Best of luck, and please let us know how it goes.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
err.... I don't know anything about the US insurance system... but why do you need the other party to have insurance as well in order to be able to claim the loss? I mean, you already have an insurance to protect your car.

hmm... it is very sad to hear this. I do have your feeling b/c I almost want to die when my baby got hit. (I am fixing it now, hee hee). I hope you will get the money and buy another TSX :eek:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
SAZABI said:
but why do you need the other party to have insurance as well in order to be able to claim the loss? I mean, you already have an insurance to protect your car.
In the US if you have uninsured motorist on your policy, you are covered in the event that the other driver does not have insurance.
The law only requires that you carry liability insurance. However, if you have financed your car, the lenders require you to carry full coverage insurance.
In this situation, the other driver is completely at fault. Therefor he, and his insurance is responsible. In the event he does not have insurance, see above

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Joker said:
.....You may need a copy of the police report though, which you can get from your local police station.....
That's right. It's probably not necessary, but definitely extremely helpful. And in this case, it should be easy to get -- so get it.
BTW make sure to keep a copy for yourself, just in case.

About what Sazabi said: Good question, and I think that's right -- I think at least in most states (if not all) you can get basically the same result even just through your own insurance, maybe absolutely the same result. We often worry about whether the other driver has insurance, but usually it probably doesn't matter, at least not that much.

edit: Just saw Joker's post. Looks like he knows more than I do about this.

The main situation in which it DOES matter is if you're a PEDESTRIAN and you get hit by an uninsured driver. In that case, how well you get taken care of depends on what kind of set-up the STATE has, and it varies a lot.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
We often worry about whether the other driver has insurance, but usually it probably doesn't matter, at least not that much.
It does in the sense that you're still responsible for the insurance deductible, until your insurance company goes after the responsible driver's insurance company for the full amount of damages. At which point they will then cut you a check for the amount of the deductible.

If the other driver is responsible and has no insurance, they will make him sell his kidneys. :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bob shiftright said:
It does in the sense that you're still responsible for the insurance deductible, until your insurance company goes after the responsible driver's insurance company for the full amount of damages. At which point they will then cut you a check for the amount of the deductible.

If the other driver is responsible and has no insurance, they will make him sell his kidneys. :)
Yes. But I'm figuring that in situations like this, a few hundred dollars isn't what we're worrying about.

Not that it's bupkuss (good word :D ), but we're thinking thousands, plus whether or not we lose our loved one (as it were).

Selling kidneys could be a whole other thread. And judging from that other thread, how long before there's a market for penises?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bob shiftright said:

Does his kidneys help pay for my car ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Sorry about your loss, I hope that drunk pays and you get a new TSX.:(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
damn that blows

1 - 20 of 71 Posts