Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tsx owners....I need an idea on what I should tell my exhaust guy on saturday. He is installing an injen sp cai also. He carries magnaflow, flowmasters, and some other muffler that looks like a flowmaster and he claims its one of there better selling. He probably gets the best list price for it. So I need to know if I should do a cat back system or if I should leave the pipes on the car and just throw the mufflers on it. Also I read a lot about the resonator being taken out on these cars and have not been convinced yet. I am looking for HP and performance. Please help me . Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
The 04-05 exhaust system is extremely restrictive. Even if you remove the mufflers and rez its not going to give any more power due to a poorly designed cat and pipe size. If you want some noise I would just do a axle back. If you want to feel a difference you gotta go header back with no cat or highflow cat.

Whats your budget on this?

Edit: even with a header back your only looking at 10-20 hp at MOST. especially without a kpro, flashpro, or at least a reflash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't have a budget, but I don't want to go over board. I live in Boston,ma so I can't mess with the cats / headers due to strict emissions testing. I appreciate your time, but unfortunately unable to work on headers. What about your next opinion?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
A header doesnt need to mess with emissions, Im in NY and I dont even run a cat and I pass inspection just based on a CEL eliminator.

Your best bet for power is something like a comptech header, FLP highflow cat and your choice in a cat back exhaust. Thats going to give you the most power.

Even if you wish to keep the stock cat you can still run a header, it just needs to be the 3 bolt USDM flange rather than the JDM 2 bolt flange.

Since your new here Im going to point you towards HT: Exhaust - HeelToe Automotive

Marcus is the owner he is a great guy and helps everyone out in huge ways. I really dont want you to expect to really gain power out of an exhaust, it doesnt happen on low displacement motors. You need many mods stacked together to gain alot.

Heres a quick list I recommend:
1) Intake, Header, Exhaust (I/H/E)
2) UR lightweight pulleys
3) reflash
4) lighter wheels and tires
5) Ingalls ETD (engine torque damper)

Those are your best mods to gain a good amount of power.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Is the reflash something I can do Or do I have send my car somewhere, or is all that stuff on the website you sent me? Thanks again for your time
Reflash - TSX

Basically you need to send your ECU out or buy a used ECU send that one out and than switch them. Might be a bit of a pain but the gains are pretty big. Read through that whole post there is alot of info on it.

Heres another great link: Tuning the TSX

If you want power follow that, If you new to the honda world hondata makes Kpro, flashpro, and the reflash for hondas. They are the ones behind the tuning process for us.

Hopefully some of those links can explain what Im trying to get to you a bit better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks....Back to the exhaust real quick...Should I do dual or single..Ive heard single is good for performance but dual is better for hp. Also should I take the resonator out..sorry for being a pain but I really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Thanks....Back to the exhaust real quick...Should I do dual or single..Ive heard single is good for performance but dual is better for hp. Also should I take the resonator out..sorry for being a pain but I really appreciate it
That doesnt make any sense? better performance means more hp?

In anycase I run a single Js Racing exhaust. Why? Im building a turbo kit and with a turbo a single exhaust is best Why? Couldnt tell you, it has too do with flow rate and dynamics but thats not my thing.

If you dont plan on going turbo than it really does not matter at all. Single outlets are generally cheaper. But than you will need to spend 80 bucks on a plug to cover the missing exhaust tip. I couldnt really tell you if you should take the rez out. I ripped my old system out and never looked back.

Your not going to see huge numbers out of an exhaust, your main concern should be how loud is it going to be and how well is it made.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My conclusion is this....
I am cutting off at the cat and putting in stainless steal 2.25 inch pipingthat leads to a magnapack, then more stainless steal pipe that leads to 2 magnaflow mufflers with 2 nice tips. I am only gonna have that one resonator. I will post the results on sunday. Also getting installed is a injen cai.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts