Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been doing a little research and just can't seem to come across the problem I am having. So for starters, I have an 06 MT with about 70k miles completely stock. The issue I am having is while I am trying to maintain a certain speed whether it be 40, 50, 60, or 70mph (doesn't seem to make a difference what speed I'm going) the car almost feels as if it has a miss or is kind of hesitating while trying to maintain a certain speed either with or without the A/C on. Now when I use cruise control the problem goes away and the car drives like a dream. The other kicker is that the car doesn't do this all of the time, but enough that it drives me crazy and I need to fix it ASAP. From the little info I have found I am leaning towards the Pedal Position Sensor because sometimes when going from a stop unless I really ride the clutch the car feels like it basically stalls and then keeps going which seems to be a common problem when that Pedal Sensor goes bad. Makes me look like I have never driven a MT before even though manuals are the only type of car I have ever driven haha. So if anyone else has had this problem and what you did that ultimately fixed it, I would love to hear what you did that solved the problem. Thanks in advance!!

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
Hello everyone, I have been doing a little research and just can't seem to come across the problem I am having. So for starters, I have an 06 MT with about 70k miles completely stock. The issue I am having is while I am trying to maintain a certain speed whether it be 40, 50, 60, or 70mph (doesn't seem to make a difference what speed I'm going) the car almost feels as if it has a miss or is kind of hesitating while trying to maintain a certain speed either with or without the A/C on. Now when I use cruise control the problem goes away and the car drives like a dream. The other kicker is that the car doesn't do this all of the time, but enough that it drives me crazy and I need to fix it ASAP. From the little info I have found I am leaning towards the Pedal Position Sensor because sometimes when going from a stop unless I really ride the clutch the car feels like it basically stalls and then keeps going which seems to be a common problem when that Pedal Sensor goes bad. Makes me look like I have never driven a MT before even though manuals are the only type of car I have ever driven haha. So if anyone else has had this problem and what you did that ultimately fixed it, I would love to hear what you did that solved the problem. Thanks in advance!!
I had the EXACT issue with taking-off from a start - and it was very frustrating since and I was raised driving manual Hondas (since the '90's)!! When taking off the throttle response went from total hesitation to balls-to-the-walls GO!!!

So I replaced the APP/pedal position sensor and it seemed to at least mostly fix the issue. But it seemed to still happen - though less frequently. I later...about a year ago now - got the Hondata Reflash (also an '06) and that all but corrected the issue. Strangely it didn't seem to fix it 100% initially but for the past 6 months I've had NO issues.

You mention of the cruise control not being effected - I think that further indicates the APP/pedal position sensor - maybe more so than with my issue..?

PS: Separate from the throttle/gas issue/herky-jerky take off thing - a couple months ago I noticed I really had to ride the clutch to take off smoothly and was hearing clutch chatter/squeal (or whatever the term). Thought it was the beginning of a clutch issue - but noticed there was no clutch slippage under had acceleration etc. In the course of doing an alignment - I was advised my right caliper was sticking. Me and my buddy rebuilt the caliper and not she takes off without a hitch - smooth as anything!

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
:idea: I have the same thing on my 08 with 80k miles. Since I do alot of hway driving it can get annoying but like you said its not always. Same thing when taking off and shifting in low rpm, usually super smooth and lately I felt like no matter what it felt sloppy, again not all the time but enough for me to notice and question my shifting skills.

Well I guess I'll add that to my sensor shopping list, need to change my driver side speed sensor too:doh:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm wondering if I'm having a similar problem now. Last weekend I was driving on the highway and was cruising at 80mph and I had trouble maintaining speed as if the throttle input kept changing. It felt like an ac unit kicking on and off when it wasn't turned on at all. This doesn't happen at all at any other speeds though...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
How much for a new APP/pedal position sensor? I'm also having throttle issues, been the same since day one. doesn't mater how fast or what gear I'm in. If I completely let off the throttle (to cost down a hill) then slowly get back on the throttle its impossible to control it smoothly. Its always jerking Im told its the electronic throttle control, wondering if this APP sensor would help?

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
How much for a new APP/pedal position sensor? I'm also having throttle issues, been the same since day one. doesn't mater how fast or what gear I'm in. If I completely let off the throttle (to cost down a hill) then slowly get back on the throttle its impossible to control it smoothly. Its always jerking Im told its the electronic throttle control, wondering if this APP sensor would help?
ACURA TSX ACCELERATOR PEDAL SENSOR ASSY 37971-RBB-003 @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Acura Parts from Delray Acura.

I believe this is what I ordered and similar price.

PS: Juri - how far northesat are you? I live about 2hrs southwest from the St. Stevens, NB border...was near Fredericton, NB couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So when all of you engage the cruise control, does all of your hesitation go away?? My second question is who wants to be the guinea pig and try the sensor first? haha

·
Registered
365 Posts
My car started acting up as such last week. After reading up on the APP problems on another Acura site im pretty sure this is my problem, and if not its a worthwhile part to replace as it may be on the way out soon. I called the dealership and they'll match the online price I found here

Honda Parts | Acura Parts | OEM Honda & Acura Automotive Parts

So I'm going to grab it tomorrow and install, I'll report back.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new APP this afternoon. Just hit done changing it out and resetting the ECU. Will find out if it solves the problem.

I've had the same symptoms as the OP. Been like this for a couple years, but getting progressively worse. Just haven't wanted to throw money towards a part that's not throwing a code and nonrefundable.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
APP sensor definitely did the job. Soft acceleration from a stop, smooth cruising engine speed and smooth acceleration. I can't believe I've held off on this for so long.

One thing i noticed on mine was my throttle cable had to be adjusted quite a bit. Guess that 160k of pedal smashing stretched it a some.

·
Registered
365 Posts
APP sensor definitely did the job. Soft acceleration from a stop, smooth cruising engine speed and smooth acceleration. I can't believe I've held off on this for so long.

One thing i noticed on mine was my throttle cable had to be adjusted quite a bit. Guess that 160k of pedal smashing stretched it a some.
Good to hear. I was wondering if adjusting the cable would make any difference since its electronic. I assume it needs to be without slack in the sensor itself? Please comment.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Good to hear. I was wondering if adjusting the cable would make any difference since its electronic. I assume it needs to be witho Valerie Anne Poxleitner ut slack in the sensor itself? Please comment.
I was wondering the same thing. Before I go buy an APP sensor I was going to adjust the cable. Took five min. mine was very loose/slack, I couldn't eliminate all the slack but I did notice a small difference.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Before I go buy an APP sensor I was going to adjust the cable. Took five min. mine was very loose/slack, I couldn't eliminate all the slack but I did notice a small difference.
A few days before I bought and installed the sensor I did tighten the cable a bit. But this did not affect the driving in anyway. Still, I'm wondering if it could make a difference if adjusted a certain way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.