Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first time visiting this forum. I like TSX very much and I would like to lease a '05 model this summer. Currently I am living in new york but I will be working in Virginia this summer. I heard the sales tax is 5.75% there, which is cheaper than the 8.25% in new york, but someone told me that there is an addition tax which applies to cars in Virginia, which would make the total tax more than that of new york, is that true?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! :wavey:

Hope you find your answer... Maybe that only applies if you are living in Virginia and buy a car out of state? (depending on where you register your car)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Say I live in Virginia and also buy the car in Virginia, then I will pay just the lease price plus 5.75% tax right?

Well, you guys in Virginia so you should know more than I do. *evil grin*

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
In general, I think, you pay tax (or not) according to whatever state you get the car registered in.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
yofoofoo said:
Say I live in Virginia and also buy the car in Virginia, then I will pay just the lease price plus 5.75% tax right?

Well, you guys in Virginia so you should know more than I do. *evil grin*
LOL! I don't even live in Virginia... :)

Probably best to check with the city you're buying your car from...just in case.

·
Yankee Killer
37 Posts
I am buying my TSX this friday in VT, but am getting transfer plates on it and will be able to pay maryland tax/title/registration and not Vermont as long as I go down there within 30 days to take care of everything.

Just call Virginia's DMV and find out for sure, but this is what both Maryland and Vermont's DMV told me I could do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yofoofoo said:
Hi everyone, this is my first time visiting this forum. I like TSX very much and I would like to lease a '05 model this summer. Currently I am living in new york but I will be working in Virginia this summer. I heard the sales tax is 5.75% there, which is cheaper than the 8.25% in new york, but someone told me that there is an addition tax which applies to cars in Virginia, which would make the total tax more than that of new york, is that true?
Sales tax on cars in Virginia is 3%, but you pay sales tax on a car based on where you are from. I have bought several cars out of state and I always pay sales tax in Virginia. So you will pay Penn. sales tax unless you become a VA. resident.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Technically I think it's not necessarily exactly according to where you live, but where you have the car registered, which sometimes isn't the same.

·
Registered
85 Posts
larchmont said:
Technically I think it's not necessarily exactly according to where you live, but where you have the car registered, which sometimes isn't the same.
You are corrrect it is based on where your car is registered, same thing as what I said plus what you said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts