Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago, I replaced my headlights with OEM JDM units and at the same time, I installed New 5k DDM DS2 bulbs figuring that my OEM ones were probably due for replacement soon as they were going on 7 yrs. USDM projectors were installed, and lights were adjusted to OEM specs. I noticed that when other cars with OEM HID's would be next to me on the highway, that my light output seemed extremely weak compared to theirs. I decided to bite the bullet and shell out $200 for a set of Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI DS2's which are supposed to be the best HID bulbs available. I just installed them the other day, and what a difference! The light output between these and the DDM's is like comparing a regular Halogen 9006 bulb to the OEM HID's. I have always known this, but it's just more proof that you get what you pay for. Well worth the $200 for safety alone. Here's a link where you can find them:

D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I have these too. Won't be going to back eBay or DDM after these. Even though these come at a hefty price, my projection is much brighter and further.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I made a whole thread asking if anyone could fix my issue where my DDM fogs were dimming my low beams. Look's like I won't be getting DDM bulbs for my low beams.

·
pedal damn it
2,901 Posts
As stated in all posts above... these are THE BEST oem replacements money can buy.
Bought these around xmas and waited to install them along with my jdm headlights this past march. Yup, u guessed it....:drool1:

·
Registered
652 Posts
a lot of people think all HIDs are the same.. Clearly this is false. DDM is CHEAP and they do work, but the quality isn't as good as the high end.
Yeah, I figured I'd match them up since I've bought from them in the first place. I'm starting to dislike my HID kit mainly because somehow they're sucking juice out of my low beams.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
I've always said DDM was poo, but got criticized for my opinions. Now it's the flavor of the week. And Osram CBI being the best? I would say they're ONE of the best, but the best best is debatable. Osram also makes a line called SVS which is 4200k but rated at 3500 lumens.

D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 SVS - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

SVS vs. CBI comparison pics:
Osram CBI vs SVS Output Comparison Pics

Disclaimer: I currently have the CBIs and love them and their white light. I'm sure the Osram SVS is good too though.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks for the info and link Velo. I wanted the CBIs but after looking at the SVS, I think I will go for that in the future. I like the more natural looking color output of the SVS.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I bought these Osrams when they first came out on Retrofit Source, best 5000K bulb on the market for sure. They do have 2 other Osrams being 4300K, if you want a good OEM Kelvin color replacement, the SVS give a little more light than the 5000k CBIs. Any of these paired with clear/fresnel lens will give you amazing output.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
I wouldn't say the SVS is more "natural." 5000k is just as natural, just a different time of day. Auto makers like Audi think the whiter light " helps your eyes perceive more contrast." Audi - Defeat Darkness Scientifically speaking, I have no idea which one is more effective.

Audi actually uses 5500k color temps in their LED headlights and probably Honda and Acura as well in their LED headlights, the 2013 Accord Touring and Acura RLX respectively. I saw the new Accord in person at night and those LED headlights are white as shit. I figure the slightly whiter temps of the CBIs make my car stand out a teeny bit (who knows), though most Acura HIDs have a blue hue from the outside anyway.

I bought these Osrams when they first came out on Retrofit Source, best 5000K bulb on the market for sure. They do have 2 other Osrams being 4300K, if you want a good OEM Kelvin color replacement, the SVS give a little more light than the 5000k CBIs. Any of these paired with clear/fresnel lens will give you amazing output.
Ya know, I don't mind the fresnel lenses. Yeah the cutoff isn't as sharp but if they reduce glare for on-coming drivers, that's awesome cuz I hate that myself.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well what I meant by natural, if you look at the pictures in the link you provided, the CBIs make the dirt road look white instead of brown dirt. This color conservation is a bit important to me allowing better contrast between plant life on the side of the road and animal life like deer on backroads. I just got into lighting theory a few years ago from my friend who is a lighting engineer/car enthusiast. I could go on and on but really for most folks it isn't that big of a deal and 5000k CBI would have been what I would go for if it wasn't for you so thanks!

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Well what I meant by natural, if you look at the pictures in the link you provided, the CBIs make the dirt road look white instead of brown dirt. This color conservation is a bit important to me allowing better contrast between plant life on the side of the road and animal life like deer on backroads. I just got into lighting theory a few years ago from my friend who is a lighting engineer/car enthusiast. I could go on and on but really for most folks it isn't that big of a deal and 5000k CBI would have been what I would go for if it wasn't for you so thanks!
According to Audi, like I mentioned, better contrast is achieved through the whiter light. They could have engineered any color temperature but choose 5500k. Seems like it's all personal preference. I wouldn't say those comparison pics are accuate either. I'd have to see them with my actual eyes to be sure. Unless I found out he was an expert with his camera and/or post processing. A simple slide of an adjustment could make one have more contrast than the other.

What I'm confused about is how we consider 5000k HIDs and LEDs "pure white" while 6500k or D65 is considered the "standard illuminate" in visual standards such as photography and home theater. While a 6500k bulb would appear bluish to us.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had my CBIs for about 2 years and they are the best bulbs I ever owned. I tried the DDM tuning 5K bulbs for my low beams and they were lousy, but work well on my fog lights.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anyone got a comparison pic in the TSX projector? they place nice w/ OEM ballasts? i am interested in upgrading considering the D2S i have now are 8 years old and there have been some advances in lighting over the years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does this look like the real product? New 2X OSRAM Xenarc D2S Xenon Bulb Set Cool Blue Intense HID Xenon Bulbs 66240 | eBay

I ordered them but then I noticed the item in the pictures might look like the real product with the blue return line Osram Xenarc D2S Cool Blue Intense (66240CBI) except that the item code says on the pictures says only 66240, without the CBI.

I looked up item 66240 and it came up as Osram Xenarc Original, not the 5000K version. The Osram Xenarc Original looks the same but the return line is brown with item code 66240 on it.

You think I ordered a fake pair? I still didn't leave any feedback. I hope I will get my money back lol

·
My car whines
637 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.