Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my TSX's HID headlights. This is the first car I've driven with the HID lamps, and I notice that the cutoff is pretty low, especially when approaching an uphill climb. I do know that the light has to be set low enough to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, but is it normal for them to be aimed in such a way? I'm not sure what to expect and would appreciate any comments from others who also shared my experience before I take the car in to have the aim checked.

I just bought the car yesterday and drove it at night for the first time, so I know the beams were aimed during dealer prep and wonder if that's something they often get wrong.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I wouldn't normally suggest this but it can be a safety issue on both sides of the fence. So, next time when you take it to your dealership to get your aim level checked, see where the adjustment is and make your own adjustments later if needed.

When making your own adjustements, you just need to make sure that the car is parked on a flat level surface most appropriately parked close towards a wall or garage door and make adjustments. Then drive around to check if the beam level is to your requirements. Readjust if necessary, more than likely you'd need to do a few adjustments and test driving to get it to your requirements.

Sorry, I don't have a US Helm's manual with me so I can't tell you exactly where the adjustment knob is. (Still waiting for someone to donate one). :rolling_e

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
The cutoff, both horizontally and vertically (to the sides) kind of distracts me.

In fact, to the point that I think I'd rather just have halogens. Except when I have an oncoming BMW :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Moving the beam upwards or downwards will change the "cutoff" line. While this is a simple chracteristic of the headlight assembly design, not the HID system itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It bothered me quite a bit when I first got my car back in May, now I don't even notice it. I guess it grows on you.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Bothered me at the beginning, can't say it still exactly "bothers" me but I definitely continue to feel that not enough of the road is illuminated with the low beam. To me, this is by far the main drawback of the TSX.

At my first servicing, I did have them focus the headlights a tad higher, which helped some (but not greatly), and definitely has created more of a problem of bothering oncoming drivers.....although best I can remember, a certain number of oncoming drivers were bothered by the low beams even originally.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
HID beats halogen any day. However, I do admit that in certain circumstances (eg, foggy conditions), the HIDs do have their limits. But I wouldn't go back to halogen now that I've tasted HID.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The color output if HIDs are not designed for "increased" visiblity under fog conditions. Thus yellow halogens are still standard on European makes where fog is more of a common concern. Yellow lighting cuts through fog better than white/blue lighting.

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
I'm planning to buy foglamps. I'll use these if I feel I can't see enough of the road with the HIDs and also if there's alot of fog. How much should I expect to pay?

I do find the HID not the best when going up a hill, on windy roads when its dark. Can't see up the hill enough.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just like the HID and would not go back to anything else.

Mine auto level depending on the slope. Have you guys noticed that ?

So if the car is full (at the back) it would tend to make the beam go higher and bother incoming traffic ; to avoid that, my lamps do auto adjust.

could be something to think about.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The TSX does not have auto-levelling headlamps as far as I know. I'd like to have the swivelling lamps like on the new RL. I find that technology cool. :woowoo:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
dlai said:
I'm planning to buy foglamps. I'll use these if I feel I can't see enough of the road with the HIDs and also if there's alot of fog. How much should I expect to pay?
If you're getting HID fog lamps, make sure they're yellow in color and not anything else. The standard blue/white light output of HID lights cannot cut through fog if anything, cause more safety hazards because of reflecting light towards you. A decent set should cost approximately USD$500 or so.

·
Registered
894 Posts
hahaha...

am I the only one on this forum who just LOVES the cut-off pattern of the TSX projectors?

before I decided to buy this car, I almost retrofitted these projectors into my toyota solara

I enjoy watching the clean-cut of line of HID beam bouncing up and down on the freeway...

and ya...HID beats Halogen anyday, on HIDFORUM.COM my screenname is
HALOGENPHOBIC

aight, peace out, guyz

God bless

KEVIN

·
Registered
98 Posts
Type-S Swiss said:
Mine auto level depending on the slope. Have you guys noticed that ?
I assume from your user name that you're in Europe? Auto-leveling for HIDs isn't required in the US like it is in Europe. Most Euro cars still have auto-leveling in the US market, but I guess Honda saves money by removing it from the TSX. I haven't noticed any auto-leveling in my car. And I always get "flashed" when I'm coming over a hill at another driver.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you get flashed, just flash back... that way they know what's bright and what's really in their eyes :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
How many of you live in Virginia? In the place where I live, about 1/10 cars have highbeams on at night at all time, it gets annoying when you are in a sedan and a pickup truck/SUV gets behind your a$$ with highbeam since it's naturally positioned at a higher level. And the funny thing is that I have not seen a car going the opposite way flash, so I guess it's okay to drive with highbeam in this city.

·
In Love With My TSX
13 Posts
I love my HID's! At first it was strange seeing the line but, it has grown on me. It's wonderful being able to see the road much better than the standard headlamps and seeing all the reflective signs showing up much better. I have not had any problems with people flashing me but, if they did, I would prolly flash them back and show them what bright lights really look like! Anyhow, I also think they are a little low and next time I'm at the dealer, I'll ask them to raise them a tad. I like to be able to see a bit further than how they are set stock. I have not noticed any auto-leveling. I don't think it is mentioned anywhere in any documentation. I think it would be a selling point if it was available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts