Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
You can never go wrong with OEM (Phillips). However, it is expensive. If you look at a few threads, a lot of people have had good luck going with cheap bulbs from ebay.

Personally, I work at night so I want the best lighting output available. I went with Osram CBI 5k. The color temperature for OEM bulbs is 4.3k since it outputs the most lumens at that color. However, the Osram CBI 5k is whiter and outputs more lumens than the OEM bulbs. The Osrams are expensive though (it's basically like buying the OEM bulbs for a different brand...maybe Mercedes?). I got mine from motivemods.com during one of the group buys at hidplanet.com (a forum for hid light enthusiasts).

That is not to say that oem-type bulbs are the only good bulbs. As I mentioned before, people who buy the cheap bulbs like them too. You also have to consider if you want to change the color of your bulbs. For example, you might want to make them whiter (like me), blue, or perhaps even purple (yuck).

My bulbs are basically pure white (ie: they make oem light look yellower). The one and only thing that I don't like is that I can't see the cut off in the distance as much. The cut off tends to blend/blur, and I guess not having "yellowish" light makes it harder to see.

By the way, when you do change your bulb, make sure that you verify with your own eyes that the notches line up. I didn't and the light output was crappy for the couple of weeks before I got around to re-doing my bulbs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input! I went to my local dealership and they won't sell my the bulb because the bulbs have a high mercury content. Therefore, they have to install it. I went online and found a dealership that is charging 50$ less that my local dealership and I'll save 90$ on installation.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
I went the eBay route. Got bulbs in 8000k for less then ten bucks, I'm keeping my OEM as spare, Ide rather not burn them out lol. But I'm thinking about looking for osram cool blue 6000k, they are very expensive though but far brighter then anything out there.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
... they won't sell my the bulb because the bulbs have a high mercury content. Therefore, they have to install it. I went online and found a dealership that is charging 50$ less that my local dealership and I'll save 90$ on installation.

I have never heard of this before... are they going to warranty them too or something?

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
I got my 6000K bulbs from ddmtuning.com . I learned about that site while looking for stuff for my wife's BMW and got hooked. Great quality stuff. I've gotten her HID's from there, and my HID fog kit and another set of bulbs. I think my D2S bulbs for the low beam was around 30-35 for the pair if I can remember correctly. But I install all my stuff myself. So, unless you are a DIY guy, then I'd just recommend the dealer.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
SoCal, after you replaced your HID's. Did you noticed if your low beams are brighter than your highs?

By brighter, do you mean more lumens, or do you mean whiter? They are certainly whiter. I don't really use my high beams though. I only need them when the street lights are out and I need a little more light up the road.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just so you guys know, I have a friend that's an architectural engineer that specializes in lighting and control. The two companies that dominate in the lighting industry are Philips and Sylvania. Sylvania is known worldwide as Osram. The Sylvania name is used pretty much only by the US.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everybody is talking about the bulbs ...I think he wants to know about replacing one of his headlights, just get the oem its expensive but atleast your cutoff will be sharp and even with the oem cutoff sheild inside the projector.....I had this experience when I went with some cheap headlight from amazon for my car after an accident and the light output was uneven ...I tried searching followed all the suggestion from all my tsxclub friends but nothing worked so bottom line.....oem is the way to go... and the bulbs $15 from ddmtunning.com for a pair and all my problems were fixed.hope that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
My take

I went with these D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 SVS - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc about two months ago. If you order from them, give it some time. Mine took almost 2 weeks for delivery. There are options for expedited service.

I read a couple of threads here regarding the $15 ebay route vs the higher costing bulbs. I went with Osram's as they are close to OEM specs and quality. Dealer wants $200-250 for a OEM bulb. That's steep for me! The ebay bulbs are saturated with color, no matter what temperature they are rated or compared to.

The Osram bulbs will not disappoint; for me what sold me on them vs the Philips OEM equivalent was the Osram's hotspot output. The hotspot hits the road just right.

My reasons for getting the Osram will be different from others; I wasn't willing to get robbed from the Dealer; the ebay bulbs at a cheap price point is fishy to me, and I could not bring myself to any reason to purchase them.

HTH,

JJ

·
Registered
163 Posts
Everybody is talking about the bulbs ...I think he wants to know about replacing one of his headlights, just get the oem its expensive but atleast your cutoff will be sharp and even with the oem cutoff sheild inside the projector.....I had this experience when I went with some cheap headlight from amazon for my car after an accident and the light output was uneven ...I tried searching followed all the suggestion from all my tsxclub friends but nothing worked so bottom line.....oem is the way to go... and the bulbs $15 from ddmtunning.com for a pair and all my problems were fixed.hope that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You mentioned the cutoffs, exactly where should the cutoffs be when driving?

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
Oh sorry when your driving behind someone about 20 feet away just make sure the cuttoff should not be higher than the bumper .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Bumper? That's too low... I make sure it uunder the top of through trunk lid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts