Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not satisfied with my HID. the light is bright, but doesn't
travel nearly far enough. I would like to change to regular lights.
Where can I find info. on those blue JID lights?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure it's not a defect. From my research, this is a characteristic
of HID lights. I remember a post where "larchmont" said he often misses his turn due to the low range of the lights. I have had this happen to me many times myself. Is it just my lights? Are your HIDs reaching as far as ordinary headlights?

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
studdly said:
I am pretty sure it's not a defect. From my research, this is a characteristic
of HID lights. I remember a post where "larchmont" said he often misses his turn due to the low range of the lights. I have had this happen to me many times myself. Is it just my lights? Are your HIDs reaching as far as ordinary headlights?
Their reaching further then any lights I've ever had. Just ask the oncoming traffic :D And this includes Piaa super whites I had on my old Tacoma.

I think your being spoofed by the cutoff. And im not saying to take your car in because you think your lights are defective. Take it in and have them readjust the beams. Maybe their sitting too low. On a flat road, I can just barely see the cutoff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
joerockt said:
Their reaching further then any lights I've ever had. Just ask the oncoming traffic :D And this includes Piaa super whites I had on my old Tacoma.

I think your being spoofed by the cutoff. And im not saying to take your car in because you think your lights are defective. Take it in and have them readjust the beams. Maybe their sitting too low. On a flat road, I can just barely see the cutoff.
If you're constantly looking at the cutoff, you're always going to miss your turns. One of my friends stand the exact same thing about his HID, and then drive another car without them... He ended up keeping his HID after that because the light output on halogen bulbs just suck!

-Jimmy

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I think the TSX lights just have that affect on people who arnt used to em, esp in places that arnt so flat...

Since Ive been back at school, My Dads been driving around my car, because his is at the Dealer getting fixed...he enjoyed driving it but he said that we gotta take a look at the lights when we get home, thought they were aimed to low...personally Im just used to it now... but I remember when I first got the car, I had my brights on most of the time, just because that cutoff was bothering me...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not spooked by the curoff. It is literally 10 or so feet in front od the car.
It is near! So from what you guys are saying, it needs adjusting.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Sutddly...I belive it might be in the owners manual...if not do a search on this forums...theres some picture that tells u how to aim ur headlights...Suposingly if u go up to a flat wall, and back up to a certin amount, the head light beam should be a certin height up...look into that, then youll know if there too low, if ther not an du aim them up...youll have alot more people flashing u, and just general inconvinence

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The OEM specifications HID system is 4300-4500K, this is by far the brightest and produces the most light at night. If you have a problem with distance and coverage, adjust your beams. Going back to Halogen won't improve the condition, since it's a beam pattern concern instead of a lighting output/brightness problem.

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts
what about aftermarket bulbs... (sorry to be a little off topic) but where could i find some... other than egay

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
TSXmike said:
what about aftermarket bulbs... (sorry to be a little off topic) but where could i find some... other than egay
I had friends that bought their aftermarket lights from here:

http://www.hidexpress.com/

Pretty good site to buy at, from what I heard, and WAY better than eGay.:thumbsup:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
After market bulbs change the K rating, in effect making it more blue or purple hue instead of white. In doing so, you will also effectively reduce light dispersion distance due to the color output.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I really feel small but, how do you adjust the beam?
I will check the manual. I wasn't aware I could modify it.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
studdly said:
I'm not spooked by the curoff. It is literally 10 or so feet in front od the car.
It is near! So from what you guys are saying, it needs adjusting.
10 feet?!?!? Dude, take it in and get them adjusted, thats not right at all...

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
studdly said:
Wow, I really feel small but, how do you adjust the beam?
I will check the manual. I wasn't aware I could modify it.
Why do it yourself? Your car is under warranty, take it in and get it done right.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's been a lot of talk on this forum about the HID's not being bright enough. Frankly I don't know where they get it from cause I see 10xx more in my TSX than I have in any other car. We have really bright PIAA's in the Tacoma and when I drive that now at night I feel like I can't see crap. In fact, I get flashed all the time cause people think I've got my brights on when driving the TSX.

HIDs are far superior to halogens and the one's in the TSX are great quality. I think if you're having a true problem seeing it may be a minor defect that can be fixed your warranty. Just my .02

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for everyones advise. I will take the car in to the dealership.
maybe I will get lucky again and get a free wax job while it's there.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's more related to beam angle/dispersion changes when the beam angle is not ideal. I personally don't use the OEM beam angles, I have mine calibrated to my own driving specs. Don't worry about flashing, I'm used to that. My beam pattern cuts above into the sky, I don't even need the high beams.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
can you show us a pic of the pattern you use Noel?? I am just curious

1 - 20 of 34 Posts