Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is for my dad 05 tsx. His hid light went out one night driving home from work. So I thought it was the bulb that was messed up so I changed the bulb. It still doesn't work. Then after I kept changing the bulbs around, I started seeing smoke coming out of the housing. So I quickly turned off the light and see what was the smoke coming from. It was the ballast. It smelled so fried. There was water in it. Then I bought another 06 tsx Oem ballast and put it on and it turned on. Then it start twitching and then turn off. I changed to oem bulb and it twitch a lot then turn off. What can be the problem? Is it the wire harness for the bulb that connect to the ballast that is messed up too? I'm afraid the water got into the wire harness and messed it up too? I'm thinking about just buyin a brand new DDm hid kit but I tried using my aftermarket hid ballast but idk how to connect it to the oem harness from the car. I heard there's an adapter or something. Can someone please help me what I should buy or do. My dad need his car to go to work.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Hmm, usually when electronics twitch like that it could mean it's a bad ground. Check for proper connections in the ballast when you installed it. Then check the ground connection on your battery. If it has buildup, clean it off.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
The light doesn't even twitch anymore. It's not turning on or anything.
Then the fuse might be popped. The headlight fuse is located in the engine bay, right above the intake box. Check under the lid of the fuse box to see which fuse is the headlight. There are two headlight fuses, driver and passenger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I checked already. Both fuses still good. Wells if I get a DDm hid kit, how do I plug my aftermarket ballast to the factory harness?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fuse pop at first when i kept turning on the light before i put the new ballast on . after i put the new ballast on. it stopped blowing. but light doesnt work

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think its my ignitor that is messed up? i think it can be because my old ballast that was messed up can cause problem to the ignitor too since it had water in the ballast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, hope you've fixed the problem.

Here's a link to where you can get a harness for 02-05 models, ask them about the 06 power/HID wire harness.

http://www.oemxenonpart.com/Acura-TSX-Xenon-D2S-Ballast-ignitor-Inverter.htm

Worse comes to worse, you can always cut the factory power wire and connect it to the ballast power wire. (That's what they've instructed on some manual) I don't remember the exact site for that, but if you google it, i'm sure you'd find it.

Anyways, hope that helps.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
i have an oem ballast and ignitor for an 04-05 if you're interested and also you can check The Retrofit Source, they are very good for aftermarket.

·
stressed out tsx ownr
23 Posts
I just switched my bulbs today, thinking that they were the culprits in why my lights would sometimes turn on or off.

On a good day maybe the both of em might turn on, maybe the passenger, or the drivers side another day.

I'm tired of riding with the highs on.

I'm guessing the ballasts too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2004 TSX. Left side HID bulb went out. I replace with Sylvania and it turns on and stay on no problem. I notice if I switch off and back on again it doesn't come on. I have to wait about a minute or so. Other side is fine, just the side replaced. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
usually when its a bad bulb youll have the "pink eye" symptom. thats when the light turns pink and then goes out but it will be pink for a few days. my hid was pink for 3 days before it went out. so if you dont have the pink eye it might just be your ballast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going to leave it with a friend tomorrow at his shop to see if he can find the problem. Someone even suggest the igniter. Will update..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update regarding HID issues. A friend that specialize in car electrical found that problem was bad ballasts. Power going in the ballast was good but low coming out on left side and dead on right side. Bought an HID conversion kit and used my originals bulbs. Works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts