Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was in an accident back in March and ever since then I've had issues with my passenger side headlight, it no longer turns on. I ended up taking the car back to the shop for some other issues that hadn't been resolved and they told me my bulb had gone bad. I ordered a new pair but, having never owned a car with HID's before, I ordered a pair of 8000k bulbs instead of the stock 4300k. Got the car back and put the new bulbs in without even re-checking the bulbs that were already installed. They worked great for about half an hour then the passenger side shut down. Took it back to the shop and they had no idea what was wrong, but "guessed" that the ballast had been overloaded by the new higher-intensity bulbs. Is there any way to test that? I've put the original bulbs back in, both of which work btw, and I've checked all my fuses, I just want to know for sure before I order a new ballast.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
If your shop told you that a higher K rating on a bulb overloaded the ballast, which they should have checked in the first place, then I would say you have more problems than just a bulb or ballast. Lol

Did you use the same watt of bulb as the OEM?
What kind of bulbs did you buy?
Have you tested your.ballast and ignitor?
Have you.checked all the wiring and polarity of it after the accident?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your shop told you that a higher K rating on a bulb overloaded the ballast, which they should have checked in the first place, then I would say you have more problems than just a bulb or ballast. Lol

Did you use the same watt of bulb as the OEM?
What kind of bulbs did you buy?
Have you tested your.ballast and ignitor?
Have you.checked all the wiring and polarity of it after the accident?

That's not what I needed to hear :/ broke college student problems. Lol

I'm pretty sure that I bought the same watt bulb, I doubt that I wouldn't check that before I bought them.
I'm looking for the email with the receipt but I can't seem to locate it, of course.
I have not tested the ballast and ignitor, and I haven't checked the polarity, how would I go about doing those things?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant it as your shop sucks if they advised you as such... You need multimeter and there is a thread that shows.polarity of ballast...

Oh yeah the shop was terrible, by far the worst experience I've had with any shop in my life. My insurance company INSISTED they tow my car there, they apparently do business with them all the time. Thanks for the advice, I'll look at doing that this week!

Sounds like the ballast is the problem :dunno:

Maybe the impact loosen something inside.
I hope the ballast is the only issue. I'll have to look around when I get the chance, I'm stuck in my dorm room at night because campus police have pulled me over 3 times in 2 days for my light being out and I'm too afraid to push my no-ticket luck any further :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts