Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a high pitched turning noise coming from my power steering pump I believe. Although I'm not sure if I need a new pump or a new pulley. I recently changed the timing belt so I know it's not a bad or worn out belt. It's a 2006 TSX, there was a power steering leak so I replaced the O-ring and put in new Honda power steering fluid but the noise is still there.
Here's a link to the noise what do you all think the problem is.

·
Registered
2005 Acura TSX
3 Posts
Pick up some PB Blaster with silicone in it (WD40 with silicone will work in a pinch), turn on the vehicle, and directly spray the center of one pulley at a time until it stops squeaking.

I currently have a sound exactly like the one you have; sprayed the tensioner pulley center bolt, stopped squeaking. Bearings going out on a pulley is likely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had a similar noise last summer and was thinking it was the power steering pump. Got a long handled screwdriver and held the metal end against the pump and the other against my ear. PS pump sounded fine. Did same to the alternator - bingo. It was the alternator (bearing I guess) on it's way out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Several of the components that use the belt, along with the belt, can cause noise. I've experinced it several times and have had to to replace the belt, water pump, power steering pump and belt tensioner at different times. The one that threw me off after a belt replacement was the tensioner. I saw that the pointer/indicator was out of range. After replacing the tensioner the noise went away. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update: Turns out it was my belt tensioner, I was able to replace it myself along with the power steering pump. Thanks for the feedback friends!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts