Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed my spoon calipers a few days ago and every time I step on the brake pedal. There would be a loud squeaking sound coming the sound of the calipers. I purchased calipers from jphusa and specifically choose tsx. Did I choose the wrong size rotors? Or brake pads? I am running on rsx type S rotors and hawk s2k brake pads. Do I need to buy new brackets made for the tsx

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Why would you choose to run rsx rotors and s2kpads? Did someone tell you to do this? Changing to a different manufacturer of caliper does not warrant a change in rotor or pad to a different model unless specified by the manufacturer?

Are you sure the pad, caliper and rotor are free of debris? Did you use the grease specified when changing pads?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they were brand new. What rotors and pads would be best to go with the calipers. I had it removed because of the high pitched squeaks

·
Semper Fi
483 Posts
You know what, I had this exact same problem when I installed my Spoon calipers w/Hawks HPS pads. It's so damn weird because it was only on the passenger side and I let it ride out for a few thousand miles, thinking it will go away after putting some miles on it...BAD MISTAKE!!! Now my Volks are covered in brake dust that seems to be embedded in the wheel itself, not to mention I had to replace my DBA4000 rotor that went with it. So I did an experiment and ordered brand new powerslot rotors and ebc red stuff brake pads....and what do you know, no more embarrasing squeeling sound and proper rotor wear. So now I have DBA4000 rotors w/Hawk HPS on one side and Powerslots w/EBC red stuff on the other lol. I think it might of been a bad batch or something because I followed all installation instructions and bedding directions. It could be something as simple as the brake pads but you did mention it coming from the caliper itself so idk.

Spoon calipers do take s2k brake pads sizing. And if I can recall correctly, the calipers should've came w/brackets and shims to mount to the CL9. I chose to stay w/TSX rotor sizing and I think the diameter is a tad bit big for the Spoon calipers as there's a 1/4" surface area where the brake pads don't come into contact with. However this doesn't really bother me and I have around 30k miles on them w/no problems. I still have the tag (make sure you bought the monocoque forward one)...
Part Name: Monocoque Caliper Set (Accord Euro-R CL7)
Part No.: 45020-MBF-G00

Well, that's all I can think of. Hope it's just the pads.

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
i'm running stoptech rsx-s spec slotted rotors w/o issue. many others on the forum w/ spoon calipers have done the same. and direct bolt on, no bracket needed.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
I had a noise from the passenger side on my Spoon calipers. Double check the shims, both - top & bottom verify they are not broken and seated properly. 1 of mine broke, and was making contact on the rotor. 3 month wait for new shims from Spoon.

Pull the wheel off and spin the rotor check for any points of contact.

Does the sound happen all the time or only when brakes are applied?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had project mu ns400 break pads installed and they are still squeaking pretty loud but not as bad as before with the hawk pads. I am still running on slotted rotors. I really don't know what to do. Should I change my rotors? Is there a possibility that something is wrong with the calipers? I had a mechanic check it out and he said it fits on to my tsx. But after it was installed, high pitched squeaks are still present. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And they squeak everytime I press on the brakes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took a look at the rotors and there seems to be scratch marks at the edges of the rotors. I checked the brake fuel and if it went down 1 and a half inch after driving for a whole day. Is it possible the rotors are too big? I'm using rsx type S rotors.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I shimmed my spoon calipers out a couple mm's so they were actually centered on the rotor (tsx dba 4000's). Seemed like without doing this the outer face of the rotor was way too close to the caliper and clip.

I am using oem s2000 ap1 pads + pad shims + honda grease, no noise issues at all yet. No problems with rotors or calipers yet either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump really need help. Tired of the squeaking

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try using s2000 Honda oem pads? More aggressive pads can be louder.

Why are you losing so much brake fluid? That seems like a bigger deal to me than the squealing..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm using project mu ns400 pads. Are those okay or too aggressive?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seem to have squeaking in the beganing but goes away. And when I start to make right turns the squeaking is high pitched. Does anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Check the oem dust shields to make sure they are not hitting the rotors, especially where they were trimmed so the calipers would fit.

Also check the pad retaining clips to make sure none of them are touching the rotors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts