Acura TSX Forum banner

hit by sandy

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Jaan Lewaa 
#1 ·
My car got hit by flood :-(

Here's what happened, I am in zone B which was not warned for flood but was warned there is going to be shortage of electricity and natural gas. So this is what I did, I parked the car half block away from me because there are no trees so i car shouldnt get harm if tree or branches fell.
So on the day of flood around 8pm my friend call who live in zone A and said water is up to 5 feet he saved his car by parking far away and warned me to check my car. I went there and saw everything is fine then about 30-40 mins later one of my neighbor called on phone ad said there is about 1 feet water by your car. I just picked up the keys and ran like crazy without shoes and by the time i got there water was up to door handles and kept rising. I just came back. Later person who lives across from where my car was parked told me that water was up till half of the windows of my car.
Few hours later when water was backing up I went again, car got float and moved like 15 feet away and was on side walk. Water came inside more than 2 and half feet, there is still water inside and alot of stuff in engine bay which probably came with water.

Two days later I called Geico and they said they will send someone to inspect it then the process will begin. I dunno what is the process, how it works, what about mods? (i have told insurance about few of my mods like rims, intake, and front lip). Can anyone please tell me what should I do now, representative from Geico said inspector gonna be here in at least 10 business days, I told her car is on side walk she said dont worry leave it there.

Here are few pics I got more but I am connected to my laptop with my phone net so its hard to upload pics. Will add more when I get my net back just got electricity back today.

Mods: Not sure where this topic goes so feel free to move it where ever it fits.

See less See more
#2 ·
everyone saying its total, is it? I got done my roof vinyl, got front lip, plastidip rims and rear valance less than month ago, what should i do with mods? i got plenty of stuff there it shows in my signature

#6 ·
Even if insurance decided not to total it (doubt it), the first thing I would do after it's repaired is bring it back to stock and sell it asap. You do not want to deal with a car that has been water damaged.

#8 ·
should i wait for insurance company to inspect it or start removing mods much as i can?

and what is my car worth? how insurance gonna pay? it's 07 with navi, 49,4xx with intake, wheels, front lip already in records of insurance.

#9 ·
If you have comprehensive coverage, it'll be covered by insurance. As to what insurance will pay, it's like with any other total loss claim - what they deem is the actual cash value of the car. If you have a loan and are upside down, then gap coverage (if you have it) will cover the difference. It's probably a total loss as the water was well above the floorboards, where the electronics were probably exposed.

As for the modifications, that's a little tricky. Had you disclosed your modifications to your insurer? (The more major ones, such as wheels/tires/etc.). I know some policies have some sort of a cap on custom-parts and accessory-equipment coverage, so that'll cover some of it. As the mods you did seem to be stuff that can be cleaned up and not un-useable because of the flood, your best bet would be to remove those modifications and sell them privately to recoup some funds or save them to put on your replacement TSX if you get one.

#12 ·
thanks, so i shouldnt worry about removing them but should I remove the other stuff which is not listed on insurance like AP2 tips, pedals, ebay strut bar or whatever is fine and easy to remove?

#15 ·
Hey man, I feel your pain two of my boys in Canarsie lost there cars one which was a 2013 Camry with 300 miles on it. I will speak as an ex geico adjuster in the Bronx......remove all your aftermarket parts because it will not increase your value and once they take pictures and its on the car you can't remove it after.....so pretty much remove the items you want or that you can sell and just be prepared to show and recent within 90 day invoice of repairs or purchases. Glad you're ok but I still understand your pain.

#16 ·
^^ wat u mean by be prepared to show invoice of repairs and purchases?

#19 ·
try FEMA, the guy who had car next to me told me this today. he said FEMA gonna take care of him

jatt - where he lives? and which car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.