Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay; I've had my car for about 6 months now (check sig) About a month ago the damn thing starts grinding; just when putting the car in 1st or in Reverse (not in any other gear) and it only does this only once in a while. Took it to the dealership today they said that its probably the clutch but they'll look at it... and if it is the clutch then its NOT covered under warranty and I'm out nearly 1 grand to replace. I DONT ******* THINK SO. This is NOT my first stick and I'VE NEVER heard of a clutch going in 6 months. IS there NO such thing as DEFECTIVE CLUTCH??? Can anyone comment on this for me please?

Sorry I'm venting like a mother ****** because I know i didn't burn up a clutch in 6 months; I CAN DRIVE STICK. but now they're telling me that well tahts what i did and its not covered. **** **** **** **** ****!!!!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
BigballinTSX said:
Okay; I've had my car for about 6 months now (check sig) About a month ago the damn thing starts grinding; just when putting the car in 1st or in Reverse (not in any other gear) and it only does this only once in a while. Took it to the dealership today they said that its probably the clutch but they'll look at it... and if it is the clutch then its NOT covered under warranty and I'm out nearly 1 grand to replace. I DONT ******* THINK SO. This is NOT my first stick and I'VE NEVER heard of a clutch going in 6 months. IS there NO such thing as DEFECTIVE CLUTCH??? Can anyone comment on this for me please?

Sorry I'm venting like a mother ****** because I know i didn't burn up a clutch in 6 months; I CAN DRIVE STICK. but now they're telling me that well tahts what i did and its not covered. **** **** **** **** ****!!!!
It is possible to burn a clutch in 6months BUT you would have to beat on it 24/7.

See what they say might not even be the clutch. I doubt it is. Unless you really beat on the clutch. How many miles on it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
There's been several reports like this that I've seen (various sites). Since I don't know much about this kind of thing, I never followed them too closely, so I don't know what was figured out about them, or whether or not it was exactly the same thing in all instances, but clutch always seemed to be one of the top couple of theories, and it definitely seemed like there was some little pattern going on. Although it wasn't happening in a great many of the TSX's, it was happening in enough of them to make it seem like TSX does have some tendency toward this and it's not the driver's fault. In most of the instances, some wiseguy would come forth and flame the driver for not knowing how to drive a manual transmission properly -- but most of the time if not all of the time, that never seemed fair or valid.

I would suggest you check the various TSX forums for other stories like this, because the more you know about instances like this the better. And then tell your dealership that maybe they don't know about it but this IS a problem with a number of TSX's, and it's on record, and if they don't believe it they can check too -- and if you want to really put in the needle a little more (like I probably would) say also that you're doing them a favor by helping them know about this, because it's definitely out there and they really should -- and that obviously it's a defect in your car and there's no way they shouldn't make good on it, and (if you're not out of breath) that really someone in your position might be asking them for a NEW CAR because it looks like yours might be defective, unless they can do a good job fixing it properly.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Yea don’t even think about paying them anything to change the clutch! That’s Bull Shit. Friend has his stock clutch on a 2002 C230 Coupe with 95k miles on it. And still rides like a good clutch. Plus he races it.

I noticed the TSX tranny is weak even on my car dropping the clutch feels like it can’t handle it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
tsxclub said:
.....I noticed the TSX tranny is weak even on my car dropping the clutch feels like it can’t handle it.
I'm not sure, but I think this might be the first we've seen anything like this from somebody who didn't have something real bad happen.

I wonder if this is any kind of pattern also -- Are other people feeling that in their TSX's? I hope not, for the sake of the TSX and all of us who have the car. But if it is any kind of a thing, we better know about it.

BTW I imagine you're talking about the 6MT??

If I felt something like that about my car, I would DEFINITELY bring it in. Maybe you should when you get a chance, or at least mention it big-time at the next servicing.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
larchmont said:
I'm not sure, but I think this might be the first we've seen anything like this from somebody who didn't have something real bad happen.

I wonder if this is any kind of pattern also -- Are other people feeling that in their TSX's? I hope not, for the sake of the TSX and all of us who have the car. But if it is any kind of a thing, we better know about it.

BTW I imagine you're talking about the 6MT??

If I felt something like that about my car, I would DEFINITELY bring it in. Maybe you should when you get a chance, or at least mention it big-time at the next servicing.
Yea MT..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
ask to talk to the area manager. (having a brain fart right now so I can't think of what they actually call them)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
You should DEFINITELY push to have them replace the clutch as well as the master cylinder.

(Just using some "psychic powers," y'all.) :D

Not that I know what the "master cylinder" is.
Or even the clutch. :D

From the way you describe the whole thing, it seems that the right thing would be for them to replace both, and if you don't mind taking the trouble to push it further (keeping your cool, staying on point and staying assertive), I would think you have a good chance to get it. Be prepared to take it to higher levels (calmly), or at least to let them know (calmly) that you would.

Good luck.

(Edit).....except take Bob S's word over mine. But you probably knew that. :D :D :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Since y'all must be losing sleep over this "master cylinder" thing:

"When the clutch pedal is depressed, a rod connected to the pedal pushes against a piston in the clutch master cylinder. This pushes fluid through a hose to the slave cylinder mounted on or in the bellhousing. On most vehicles, the slave cylinder piston moves the release fork to disengage the clutch. But on some, such as late-model Ford pickup trucks, the concentric slave cylinder piston telescopes outward with the release bearing to disengage the clutch."

BTW apparently there's also a "master cylinder" in the brakes. I guess that's a different one.

I heard or read somewhere that most new cars have like 90 different computers in them. I wonder how many "master cylinders." :D

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Just make sure that Acura will cover any damages. IF they try to make you pay, just give us the manager's phone number, and we will all take turns harassing him 24/7...until they replace the clutch...either that or we'll call ACS. This is not fair to do to Acura Customers.

G

·
I have had my car two weeks and I got it off the showroom floor with two miles. My clutch chattered when engaging. I've been so mellow on it to break it in, hoping it would get better. Now you're scaring me, what do you mean the clutch isn't covered.

Holy crap, you're right. I called Acura and they tell me the same thing that the clutch is not warrantied because basically everyone abuses the clutch. The guy was callous and basically told me I was lying when I told him that Subaru warranties clutch linings for 3/36,000

Here is a link to the 2002 Subaru warranty.
http://subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2002

I'm telling you guys, Consumer Reports just rated Subaru the most reliable brand....my Dream car TSX is starting to turn into a nightmare. What arrogant F^(&s. I just dropped a ton of money and babied my brand new TSX. I flew to the atlantic coast to drive it back to San Diego. I don't know, this might be my last Honda/Acura. I have rattles, rough idle, rough idle when AC is on, stumbles sometimes when changing gears and clutch chatter. All in two weeks.

Any of you guys out there on the fence, go buy a Subaru Legacy GT!

Ignacio

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
nachob said:
I have had my car two weeks and I got it off the showroom floor with two miles. My clutch chattered when engaging. I've been so mellow on it to break it in, hoping it would get better. Now you're scaring me, what do you mean the clutch isn't covered.

Ignacio
well the clutch is covered, but usually the dealer line is - you don't know how to drive a stick shift and you ruined the clutch...therefore it's your responsibility. But there are many other working parts; and it may not be the clutch itself. I would go into the dealer now, and let them know. Get your concern on record. That way if your clutch does need to be replaced down the line...you already have it documented that it was showing signs of defect long ago.

G

·
Look, I'm not making it up. I just called Acura and they say...the clutch is NOT covered. Only if I can prove it is a defect. Of course it is their guys deciding if it is a defect. It's also BS, because even if they warrantied, it would be like they are calling me a liar saying I abused my clutch and that they are doing me a favor by fixing it. That's not true. I have owned 8 previous manuals and the least a clutch ever lasted was 78,000 miles in a crappy Mitsubishi.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
nachob said:
Look, I'm not making it up. I just called Acura and they say...the clutch is NOT covered. Only if I can prove it is a defect. Of course it is their guys deciding if it is a defect. It's also BS, because even if they warrantied, it would be like they are calling me a liar saying I abused my clutch and that they are doing me a favor by fixing it. That's not true. I have owned 8 previous manuals and the least a clutch ever lasted was 78,000 miles in a crappy Mitsubishi.

just call another dealer...i'm sure somebody will look into it without charging you

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
it also helps to mention that you will be contacting Acura Customer Services; as well as other TSX owners about the issue, and their specific dealership in particular. Ask if you can work something out with them. Ask them why they jump to conclusion, and blame you for the clutch, when they have not even looked at the car?

G

·
I went by the dealer today and made an appointment to have it looked at next week. Of course, it wasn't chattering when I got there. I've calmed down a little now but our family has been pretty faithful to Honda for over 20 years. My wife's family has owned several too. We've overlooked their arrogance in the 80s when they were hard to get. We overlooked the paint burning off, etc. But what makes the clutch thing so bad is their attitude. All of these guys from the dealer to Acura have been brainwashed into believing that every middle-aged guy like myself that goes out and blows 30K on a glorified 4 cylinder Accord is abusing their clutch. To not stand behind their products is bad business. If my clutch gives out after 6 months, knowing how well I take care of my car, not only will I never by another Honda the rest of my life, but I will make sure that anyone that asks me about them knows what happened. I almost bought the Legacy GT instead of the TSX but the impression of quality and 4/50 warranty made me go to Acura instead. Subaru only gives you 3/36K but they stand behind their clutch for that time. Even then, I could understand if Subaru didn't warranty the WRX STI. We all know what those cars are for, but a 4 banger re-badged Honda Accord..... Anyway, good luck to the guy with the clutch that only lasted 6 months. Stand your ground, it's not right what they are doing here. They are being Penny-wise and pound foolish to the infinite power.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts