Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Overtakes Ford as #3 Brand in the US; Gunning for Chevrolet's #2 Spot
The Ford and Chevrolet brands are drastically revamping their lineups in the face of record-high gas prices, but that North American turnaround could be coming a few years too late. Toyota is already the number one selling brand in the U.S. — followed by Chevrolet — and, as of April, Honda has bumped Ford out of the number three spot.

According to Automotive News, the Honda brand tallied 437,102 retail sales through April, while the Ford brand has only managed about 421,000 retail sales during the same period. If you include fleet sales — which makes up 35 percent of Ford's business and virtually zero percent of Honda's — Ford still has the overall lead on the Japanese automaker.

However, that 16,000 unit lead will likely widen over the next month as Ford continues to rely on larger vehicles for the volume of its sales. Thanks to economical vehicles such as the Fit, CR-V and Civic Hybrid, Honda sales are up 3.6 percent this year while the overall industry is down 9.2 percent. On the other side of the coin, Ford recently announced that it will be slashing production by as much as 20 percent this year as demand for its vehicles continues to sag.

Ford admittedly doesn't have enough small or medium-sized vehicles in its current lineup to compete in today's economic environment.

Chevrolet still has about a 30,000 unit lead over Honda, but industry experts say that margin could evaporate by the end of the year. "Chevrolet should worry," Lonnie Miller, an analyst for R.L. Polk & Co., told Automotive News.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Toyota is number 1 right?

and Chevorlet should be worried.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Chevys are nice, especially their new Malibu and I like the Impala too. However, the Big 3 still relies too much on SUVs and trucks for its sales. Sales in those two categories are slumping as gas prices raise. They need to create more B-segment cars to compete with the likes of the Honda Fit, Scion xD, and Toyota Yaris. I am noticing more and more Fits and Yaris on the streets. It seems people are shifting to smaller cars, which is good IMO.

Next year should be a good year, new smaller hatches coming out such as the Nissan Cube and Kia Soul. I can't wait!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Ford has the focus and Chevy has the cavalier (is it even still called that?) Anyhow, that's about it, and even those two aren't nearly as economical as civic or accord. Saturn has a car or two that might compete, but seriously, who buy's saturns anymore? Might as well congratulate Honda on the number 2 spot right now!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Who would want to buy that? It's like the next-gen geo metro.
The Aveos are lame, even a larger more powerful Camry gets better fuel efficiency than that sub-compact.

The car that currently remind me of 1995-2001 Geo Metros is the Toyota Yaris line with the sedan and 3 door liftback. Just like the Metros with sedan and liftback, the Yaris is the same. I still wish the 5 door Yaris was available here, its sold in Canada.:(

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts