Acura TSX Forum banner

Honda recalls 167,255 Acura TSX cars in U.S.

85K views 152 replies 98 participants last post by  Bochka 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Cars in Canada were not subject to the recall

Reuters
Published: Friday, April 30, 2010

Read more: Honda recalls 167,255 Acura TSX cars in U.S.

DETROIT - Honda Motor Co Ltd. said it would recall 167,255 Acura TSX sedans sold in the U.S. market to address the risk that power steering fluid could leak and cause an under-the-hood fire.

The recall, covering 2004-2008 model year Acura TSX vehicles with 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engines, comes after one fire was reported due to leaking fluid.

Honda and U.S. safety regulators said that over time power steering hoses may crack and leak.

U.S. safety regulators in a statement issued Friday morning said power steering fluid "leaking onto a hot exhaust pipe will generate smoke and a burning smell, and could potentially result in an under hood fire."

Honda will notify U.S. Acura TSX owners and its dealers will repair the Acuras for free, beginning on May 28, said the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in a report.

The repair, Honda said, involves installation of a new power steering hose, O-ring gasket and fluid.

Honda officials in Canada said that cars in Canada were not subject to the recall.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the update. Is this something they will do while you wait or they want to keep our car and give a loaner for a day?

#9 ·
yeah this is nice to know, I read that we have to wait till the end of may for them to start doing this work on warranty?

#10 ·
Wow only 16x,xxx tsx's in the united states? Seems so little.....

Any ways, I was planning to replace my ps fluid soon. Good timing Honda :thumbsup:

#11 ·
great post!:thumbsup:
now if they can recall for axles too that would be great.

#14 ·
Nope, for everyone. I heard that the 04 is getting priority or something.

#15 ·
A Bulletin just got sent out for us Canadian Users stating:

This recall is not applied to similar vehicles sold in Canada for the following reasons:
- There have been no reported cases in Canada of leaking power steering feed hoses
- The environmental and vehicle usage factors that contribute to this issue (very high year-round ambient temperatures, high frequency of low speed driving) are not present in Canada
- An inspection of hoses from vehicles operating in the Canadian environment is still underway

So it doesnt look like Canadians will be in the same boat as of now.

#29 ·
This has nothing to do with the first year model my friend, because the part # and location/orientation is exactly the same in the engine bay. Only reason 1st year models get so much heat is because they are usually of highest mileage.

I have always bought a first year model car b/c for that first year, the car is at its rarest, and in some ways you are a pioneer, defining that market.
Nothing wrong with buying a first year car.

And if you switch from Honda, you're only going down, because......wait for it..........Its all relative :), so relatively speaking, every car is equal or worse in terms of overall reliability.

And no i'm not affilated with Acura/Honda.

#30 ·
I received an e-mail from a friend-he is a acura service manager. He received the notice on tsx's and informed me the kits would start to be shipped to his dealership on the 11th. I think that is one of the reason recall notices are not being sent out until the 28th. The dealers do not have the correct parts to fix the problem yet. He let me know when they get the kits he will hold onto one for me.

#21 ·
^ Yea I am definitely waiting at least two more months for this because dealerships are gonna be busy trying to get their inventories of 04-08 TSX done first so they can sell them.

#31 ·
the new PS kits are not available yet. Also if the vehicle isnt involved in those condition you will not have a problem! If your in canada and in a few months have this issue, being it in to the dealer and it will be covered. Honda is just stating that the only issues they have seen are in the US with ONLY 170k vehicles under those driving conditions... As a canadian dealership, honda as told us that if we see a candian vehicle with PS Hose Wear then we have to record,picture, and send it in to Tech line. However regarless it will be covered and fixed!

The recall on the TL's took about a day to do. mainly cuz the vehicle HAS to be cold. So you will likely get a loaner if they have some left. I think the actual labour time is 4 hours, without any issues that is.

cheers,

#33 ·
Guys I just had my rack and pinion replaced for about $1000. The car began leaking power steering fluid and mechanic told me it was the r & p. I only have 33,000 miles on it and am pissed that its shot and now with the talk of the recall I'm thinking this must be related. Mechanic was also very surprised that he was able to get the part the same day. To him he thinks this could be a problem with the vehicles. Anyone else have this problem?

#34 ·
I called them and said that in order to take advntage of this, I need to receive an mail regarding about the issue.
Im in Houston, Texas and called the sterling mccall. Is this how it really works?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.