Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I'm very new to mods. I've read a lot on these and other forums about the Hondata ECU mod. I'm just wondering if my 2008 TSX Auto can be modded with the ECU chip from Hondata or is it just 2004-2006 TSXs? As far as I can tell, people have only mentioned 2004-2006 and possibly some 2007 models.

Another ECU related mod I've been hearing and reading about is the Hondata K-Pro. I'm guessing this is similar to the modded ECU from Hondata, except that the K-Pro allows you to tune the various settings using your own computer? Where as the Hondata ECU is statically set and cannot be changed? Is that the only difference?

One final question is in regards to both of these ECU mods. Do these mods affect the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) in any negative ways? What about the engine's reliability? Emissions increase?

Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it.

Pally777

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well, that's too bad... I hope by the time my warranty runs out they'll come out with something. I'm guessing it's because my model year isn't old enough that there is a market for mods on them?

Thanks for the info kuma.

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I'm very new to mods. I've read a lot on these and other forums about the Hondata ECU mod. I'm just wondering if my 2008 TSX Auto can be modded with the ECU chip from Hondata or is it just 2004-2006 TSXs? As far as I can tell, people have only mentioned 2004-2006 and possibly some 2007 models.

Another ECU related mod I've been hearing and reading about is the Hondata K-Pro. I'm guessing this is similar to the modded ECU from Hondata, except that the K-Pro allows you to tune the various settings using your own computer? Where as the Hondata ECU is statically set and cannot be changed? Is that the only difference?

One final question is in regards to both of these ECU mods. Do these mods affect the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) in any negative ways? What about the engine's reliability? Emissions increase?

Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it.

Pally777
there is no shortage of aftermarket parts for the 08.
everything that fits an 06 will fit an 08.
hondata is the only thing lacking for the 07-08 years due to
it's different ECU. hondata hasn't figured it all out yet.
and yes, probably because it's a newer model year, but also because
the ECU has at least the added complexity of TPMS.

no, nothing hondata does will affect your VSA. however currently
K-Pro will eliminate your cruise control. they are working on that
however so that you can retain the cruise control.
but for now, for you and I, that is of no bother because we cannot
use K-Pro or anything else from hondata.

the hondata reflash is not a chip as you stated. it is your stock
ECU, taken out of your car and sent to them for alteration. yes,
the reflash is not tunable, it is a static setting on your stock ECU.

what K-Pro is, is an additional ECU working in conjuction to your
stock one. the second one is usually placed under the passanger
seat in the cabin. and for our car, will be a RSX-S ECU I think.
basically what K-Pro does is two fold. it reflashes your stock ECU,
which has to be removed and sent off for, like a standard reflash,
and tells it to no longer operate the engine functions like air/fuel
ratio and such. a second tunable ECU (RSX-S one) is then added
and given the job of taking over these functions. and yes, you
can tune this ECU with software to your own specifications.

so a reflash is just your stock ECU changed up a bit, and K-Pro is
a dual ECU setup where your engine becomes tunable. allowing
for you to run turbos or whatever else you can dream up and tune
the engine to run properly with it.

as far as reliability goes, K-Pro and the reflash are two different
ballgames. the reflash is very subtle, with little to no change in
reliability, emissions, or anything like that. K-Pro offers nothing
in the way of any set parameters. the whole idea is to have a
tunable car so you can turbo it or fine tune a supercharger, or
just fine tune whatever you want to run. if you leave the car
stock otherwise and just add K-Pro, there will be little to no change,
you will in effect just be mapping your own reflash. but if you turbo
the car, who knows what will become of the engine or emissions.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the detailed post MMsTSX.

Yeah, I understand there are other mods (other than ECU) available for 08s. I meant to say there is not 08' ECU mods. The ECU is probably the biggest bang for the buck, so that would be where I want to start.

I don't plan on adding a turbo or super-charging it, so I won't need the K-Pro then. I'll most likely go for a ECU reflash when it does become available for 08s. *Crossing my fingers* hoping it comes out.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
I'll let you know if a kpro'd 06 ecu will work on the 07-08. I already have the prb ecu and the 06 ecu is being sent to me right now.
I am curious to know what happens with this. As soon as you find out, please let me know ASAP.

Just so i understand...
the 07/08 ECU you will be using is obviously stock, and the 06 ECU that has kpro on it will be the second ECU, so basically you are just adding the Kpro ECU (06) and not touching the 07/08 ECU correct?

man i cant wait!

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
I am curious to know what happens with this. As soon as you find out, please let me know ASAP.

Just so i understand...
the 07/08 ECU you will be using is obviously stock, and the 06 ECU that has kpro on it will be the second ECU, so basically you are just adding the Kpro ECU (06) and not touching the 07/08 ECU correct?

man i cant wait!
no, no I doubt that.
K-Pro cannot work with any stock ECUs.
the stock ECU needs to be reflashed.

what I think he plans on is this:
replacing the stock ECU with an 06 one.
then using that 06 ECU as the base for the K-Pro, adding to
that 06 ECU the tunable 06 RSX-S ECU.

so the stock 07/08 ECU will not be used at all.
there is no TSX ECU that is tunable at all, period.
that's why we need the RSX-S one as a second, tunable ECU.
and the 07/08 ECUs are as of now not compatible at all with K-Pro
or even able to be reflashed in any way, so they cannot be used, period.
as of now that is...

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
Here is the plan. Replace the 07 ecu with a kpro 06 ecu. Rewire the ecu pinning on the 07 to match the 06. Hopefully the cluster will still work. If not, I'll source out an 06 cluster. Sounds simple, but it isn't.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
Here is the plan. Replace the 07 ecu with a kpro 06 ecu. Rewire the ecu pinning on the 07 to match the 06. Hopefully the cluster will still work. If not, I'll source out an 06 cluster. Sounds simple, but it isn't.
im still kinda confused. so in your case, you are only using 1 ecu?
ok, the prb ecu being from the RSX from 02-04 Type S, that is going to have kpro on it, is that it?

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
im still kinda confused. so in your case, you are only using 1 ecu?
ok, the prb ecu being from the RSX from 02-04 Type S, that is going to have kpro on it, is that it?
To get kpro I need to have an 06 TSX ecu and a Kpro dual compatible ecu. I will be using 2 ecus.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
To get kpro I need to have an 06 TSX ecu and a Kpro dual compatible ecu. I will be using 2 ecus.
ok, so are you buy a new ECU from hondata for the kpro, or are you sending the prb in, to get that kpro'ed?

·
Forum Vendor
76 Posts
ok, so are you buy a new ECU from hondata for the kpro, or are you sending the prb in, to get that kpro'ed?
ECUs will need to be sent into Hondata. TSX ECU will be reprogrammed and PRB will have KPRO installed.

Reprogrammed TSX ECU will handle basic vehicle functionality while PRB ECU is responsible for engine control.

kuma912, can confirm.

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
ECUs will need to be sent into Hondata. TSX ECU will be reprogrammed and PRB will have KPRO installed.

Reprogrammed TSX ECU will handle basic vehicle functionality while PRB ECU is responsible for engine control.

kuma912, can confirm.
Exactly

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm sure by the time your warranty runs out you will have the option for an '08 reflash. If not, you'll definitely hear from kuma about switching an 06 ECU for an 08. A similar situation would be the reject 05 Automatic (my car). I would need to switch my ECU for an 04 Auto ECU. I'm sure you'll be able to do what kuma is doing.

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
I'm sure by the time your warranty runs out you will have the option for an '08 reflash. If not, you'll definitely hear from kuma about switching an 06 ECU for an 08. A similar situation would be the reject 05 Automatic (my car). I would need to switch my ECU for an 04 Auto ECU. I'm sure you'll be able to do what kuma is doing.
Kpro and reflash is already available for your car without switching ecu's:wavey:

·
Catch me if you can
204 Posts
Test

shouldnt you test if the 06 ECU will start 07/08 car first before sending to KPRO IT, it would save money

·
Registered
465 Posts
Kpro and reflash is already available for your car without switching ecu's:wavey:
Ahhh!!! That's awesome! I always heard it was too expensive to produce and whatnot, but now it's available! Sweet! I notice it said added Jan 09 on the Hondata site, so Im not that late.

Thanks!! :wavey:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts