Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Hondata's website:

"Hint: Do not have an air filter sitting open under the hood. Underhood temperatures can be easily 15-20 degrees Celsius hotter than outside the car robbing you of 4-6 % of your power potential. Duct cold air from the front of the car to a sealed air filter box."

The above statement obviously makes sense, saying that have any of you'll installed any type of heat shield around your SRI?

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
not me, Its been cold from where i live so technically keeping the engine bay hot helps keep good MPG until summer (My theory)

and if you ever study the TSX where the intake sits, its hard for heat to get to that area because its to the far side and the battery/fuse box is right between it. The air comes through the Driver Tire side and the air goes out under the transmission behind the engine where the header is. of course you would still get heat, but not as much as you would with an SRI for example, an RSX..

RSX

TSX

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
I totally disagree.

it's hard for heat to get to it on the TSX? really?

I'd trust Hondata on this one folks.

Mugen or CT Engineering are both win in this situation.

·
-
1,593 Posts
This is what I posted on ac-urazine a while ago...

How is any cool air getting to that short ram air filter in behind the battery?
If you have a close look at the TSX engine bay, it's sealed & the only air entry is thru the radiator.
Go for a drive & touch anything in the engine bay, it's all hot.

A CAI or CT type air box will draw air in from outside the engine bay. It will draw air in from in front of the plastic wheel well.
This air is not hot & has not gone thru the radiator.

A short ram intake will dyno very well with the hood up. Then it's getting cool air as opposed to hot air when the hood is closed.

Getting cold air into the engine will not add a ton of power, but it's the 1st step into getting the engine performing better.
If you add the Hondata reflash (which advances ignition timing) plus headers, plus exhaust, you are leaving power on the table by drawing in hot, under hood air.

I also recommend that you check out some performance cars like the Corvette, Mustang or Camaro.
You will see that all these performance cars have some type of cold air intake right from the factory, unlike the TSX.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
http://tsx.acura zine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670816

I'm getting a SRI intake soon and I'm going to see if there is any drop in performance once summer swings into full effect. If I notice anything, I'm going to do a variation of what post 4 looks like. I'm not sure if the hole from where the OEM resonator goes would flow enough cool air so I may or may not do the ducting like he has through the bumper cover.

Another idea of mine was to have a wall just go straight from the left of the battery all the way to the fusebox so that I can get cool air from the resonator hole as well as from the front grille. When it comes to a heat shield, I want it to be as big as possible so there is more air available to the intake. I don't like those heat shield designs where there is a metal cover right over the filter (the surface of the filter next to the heatshield must have a harder time sucking air in my opinion)

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Had mine through the heat of summer, no noticeable power loss. I kept the stock tubing that brings in the cooler air and have it right under my apexi sri.

·
-
1,593 Posts
Had mine through the heat of summer, no noticeable power loss. I kept the stock tubing that brings in the cooler air and have it right under my apexi sri.
The stock TSX air box draws in hot air from the covered vertical intake pipe that is in front of the battery. It is not a cold air system at all.

Unless you've modified the stock tubing, there is no cold air coming in from that small hole where the stock intake piping enters the engine bay on the inner fender.

Hondata states the power loss is 4-6%, 6-8 flywheel HP on a stock TSX, which you could never feel, but it's there.
I also feel that the more engine mods that you have, the more gains realized from a CAI.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
The stock TSX air box draws in hot air from the covered vertical intake pipe that is in front of the battery. It is not a cold air system at all.

Unless you've modified the stock tubing, there is no cold air coming in from that small hole where the stock intake piping enters the engine bay on the inner fender.

Hondata states the power loss is 4-6%, 6-8 flywheel HP on a stock TSX, which you could never feel, but it's there.
I also feel that the more engine mods that you have, the more gains realized from a CAI.
I have that pipe angled at the SRI, only an inch or so from the filter.

Im sure there is some loss but, like you said, its not noticable. Unfortunately I can't safely run a CAI. It rains a lot in my area and the puddles are deep, dont want to chance sucking water (though I hear the possibilities are slim unless I dunk it).

Check this out:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/45071-beneficial-harmful-neutral-update-pg-3-verdict-beneficial-if-only-slightly.html#post661396

I did some testing in intake temperature.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
After all the rain we've had up in ohio this year, nearly record breaking, i am convinced to stay with my aem sri. i know 2 people, a friend my age, and a middle aged man who drove his daughters car which had been modded by her ex-bf, and both hydrolocked their engines. ive had my sri on for 5 years now and i agree with the statement that although cai's are theoretically better for air combustion, in the real world it would be very hard to notice a difference (at least for me it would be) and the risk of ruining my engine in wet ohio is too high.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
^ may be going a little off topic here(Sorry OP), but have you guys ever used Injen Hydroshield? I used it on my CAI and it protects the intake pretty good from water. i even did a test by spraying the backyard water hose into the filter with the hydroshield and although some water did got in, it wasnt as much..

·
"That's what she said!"
118 Posts
I have a SRI and it feels the same in the winter and the summer. People argue that the SRI sucks in all the hot air that is produced from the engine but its totally irrelevant when the car is moving. When the car is moving, the SRI is receiving the air from outside just as much as a CAI.

I know the CAI is receiving slightly cooler air, but the difference is so minimal that it really doesn't matter.

/.2 cents

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
totally irrelevant when the car is moving. When the car is moving, the SRI is receiving the air from outside just as much as a CAI.
This is incorrect. While you do receive cooler-than ambient-air because the car is moving, it isn't nearly as much as a CAI. The air going into the engine bay isn't getting to the SRI cool. Its passing through a hot radiator and around a hot engine before it reaches the SRI, which is also hot.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
I have a SRI and it feels the same in the winter and the summer. People argue that the SRI sucks in all the hot air that is produced from the engine but its totally irrelevant when the car is moving. When the car is moving, the SRI is receiving the air from outside just as much as a CAI.

I know the CAI is receiving slightly cooler air, but the difference is so minimal that it really doesn't matter.

/.2 cents
that would only work if you take off your headlight assembly just like how some cars do it at the 1/4 track..

·
500K Poster! - Premium Club Member
701 Posts
CAI + hydroshield is the win. I live in Seattle and you all know we NEVER get rain here... I can tell the difference between CAI and SRI, Hondatafied. Cheers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
^ may be going a little off topic here(Sorry OP), but have you guys ever used Injen Hydroshield? I used it on my CAI and it protects the intake pretty good from water. i even did a test by spraying the backyard water hose into the filter with the hydroshield and although some water did got in, it wasnt as much..
The real risk is when the pipe and filter are fully submerged in water though. Will the hydroshield protect against that? (I'm not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question).

In any case however, how deep are these puddles that are being mentioned?! With the CAI extension, the intake opening is still relatively high. Even with a dropped car, I cannot imagine hydrolocking the engine, unless you have puddles like this:

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
The real risk is when the pipe and filter are fully submerged in water though. Will the hydroshield protect against that? (I'm not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question).

In any case however, how deep are these puddles that are being mentioned?! With the CAI extension, the intake opening is still relatively high. Even with a dropped car, I cannot imagine hydrolocking the engine, unless you have puddles like this:

YouTube - Acura NSX submarine
I drive a car, not a submarine, hence why i got an SRI convertible tube just in case i need to get through floods like that.

have you ever heard of people Hydrolocked their cars because they simply drove through huge puddles they couldnt see through the rain? with the hydroshield, its a piece of mind that it wont likely happen to hydrolock, which was the main reason why i tested the hydroshield with a waterhose..

·
Registered
390 Posts
I hydrolocked an H22 by driving through a puddle in heavy rain. I had no real fender liner, which was probably the cause, but the water was only a few inches deep - but with a tire splashing through the water, right next to it, it might as well be under water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts