Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 04 6 speed was wondering which would be better in my case, was thinking about financing a intake and tuner either of those possibly how much of a spike would I get with a injen intake, skunk 2 catback exhaust and the tuner. I know a lot of the power can come from the headers but I was thinking of that later when I have thoughts of going turbo so I wouldn’t have to buy a different header and what not. Which tuner would be best suitable for me? Kpro, ktuner, reflash, flash pro?

Thanks, any info is appreciated I’m still learning about my car and possibilities.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you actually go onto Hondata, you'll see the dyno results.
With complete stock, and just ecu flash you can still 20 whp, and tq.
With headers, and intake you get like double what stock has and with the 20hp and tq.
If you're not gonna go Turbo anytime soon, get the basic tune.
I'm getting mine done in the summer, saving up for a basic tune. I just want to put bolt ons, i've got a greddy exhaust. getting a short ram, and upgrading my cable bushings and adding a short shifter to it. I don't know much about custom tuning with a real car, and I don't want to risk blowing up my car.
Basic hondata reflash is more suitable for me! And how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So I have a 04 6 speed was wondering which would be better in my case, was thinking about financing a intake and tuner either of those possibly how much of a spike would I get with a injen intake, skunk 2 catback exhaust and the tuner. I know a lot of the power can come from the headers but I was thinking of that later when I have thoughts of going turbo so I wouldn’t have to buy a different header and what not.
Here's a link from that gives you a general idea what your performance gains may look like for each bolton with tuning options.
Tuning TSX

Here's a link for the reflash performance gains.
Hondata Reflash Performance Gains
Keep in mind that the '04-05 catalytic converters are very restrictive, so you'll get some decent gains with a HFC.

Which tuner would be best suitable for me? Kpro, ktuner, reflash, flash pro?
This all depends on your budget and what your future plans are. If you're going turbo, consider Flash Pro or KTuner since you will need a custom tune to ensure optimal drivability. The reflash will not be adequate for a turbo setup, but is perfectly adequate if you only plan on the basic I/H/E boltons.

Keep in mind that Flash Pro and KTuner are quite expensive though as you will need to replace your stock ECU with a 07-08 one if you're going Flash Pro, or a KTuner ECU if you're going with KTuner. Both options will cost $1200-$1500, but is essential if you force induction is in the plans. If you're even remotely considering turbo, I wouldn't waste my money on a reflash.

I don't know much about custom tuning with a real car, and I don't want to risk blowing up my car.
Basic hondata reflash is more suitable for me! And how much money you want to spend.
I agree that your setup will suit the reflash just fine. Although, I wouldn't be too cautious about a custom tune. Many of us have driven with a custom tune for years without issues. You just need to find a good reputable tuner with a good track record.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have a 04 6 speed was wondering which would be better in my case, was thinking about financing a intake and tuner either of those possibly how much of a spike would I get with a injen intake, skunk 2 catback exhaust and the tuner. I know a lot of the power can come from the headers but I was thinking of that later when I have thoughts of going turbo so I wouldn’t have to buy a different header and what not.
Here's a link from that gives you a general idea what your performance gains may look like for each bolton with tuning options.
Tuning TSX

Here's a link for the reflash performance gains.
Hondata Reflash Performance Gains
Keep in mind that the '04-05 catalytic converters are very restrictive, so you'll get some decent gains with a HFC.

Which tuner would be best suitable for me? Kpro, ktuner, reflash, flash pro?
This all depends on your budget and what your future plans are. If you're going turbo, consider Flash Pro or KTuner since you will need a custom tune to ensure optimal drivability. The reflash will not be adequate for a turbo setup, but is perfectly adequate if you only plan on the basic I/H/E boltons.

Keep in mind that Flash Pro and KTuner are quite expensive though as you will need to replace your stock ECU with a 07-08 one if you're going Flash Pro, or a KTuner ECU if you're going with KTuner. Both options will cost $1200-$1500, but is essential if you force induction is in the plans. If you're even remotely considering turbo, I wouldn't waste my money on a reflash.

I don't know much about custom tuning with a real car, and I don't want to risk blowing up my car.
I agree that your setup will suit the reflash just fine. Although, I wouldn't be too cautious about a custom tune. Many of us have driven with a custom tune for years without issues. You just need to find a good reputable tuner with a good track record.

What kind of HFC do you recommend and isn’t the Ktuner like 700 and comes with a new ecu? Was planning on getting that and get it tuned by someone with just a few bolt ons

·
Registered
315 Posts
What kind of HFC do you recommend and isn’t the Ktuner like 700 and comes with a new ecu? Was planning on getting that and get it tuned by someone with just a few bolt ons
I would recommend the Fastline Performance HFC from Heeltoe. That one is a direct fitment replacement for your OEM cat.

You're right about the Ktuner, it is $700 for everything including ECU. My mistake. This is definitely much less expensive than the FlashPro, but I personally don't have any experience with KTuner myself. Mine is an 07 which can use FlashPro out of the box.

So are you planning on turbo or "few bolt ons"? If you're not going turbo, then I would just do a reflash with your I/H/E boltons and call it a day. That route is a lot more cost effective and the cost of KTuner + custom tune not going to net you that much more horsepower with standard bolt ons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend the Fastline Performance HFC from Heeltoe. That one is a direct fitment replacement for your OEM cat.

You're right about the Ktuner, it is $700 for everything including ECU. My mistake. This is definitely much less expensive than the FlashPro, but I personally don't have any experience with KTuner myself. Mine is an 07 which can use FlashPro out of the box.

So are you planning on turbo or "few bolt ons"? If you're not going turbo, then I would just do a reflash with your I/H/E boltons and call it a day. That route is a lot more cost effective and the cost of KTuner + custom tune not going to net you that much more horsepower with standard bolt ons.

So it would be smart if it get the ktuner since it’s almost same pricing and the new ecu with it. And for now I’m just planning on a few bolt ons then eventually later down the road how it’s looking financially get a turbo would be nice and fun I’ve always wanted just pricey at the moment. With reflashing you could do that yourself, Plug and play kind of thing? But with hondata and Ktuner would need a custom tuner for that? I’ll try to get a list together of parts and what kind of setup I’m trying to get so it give you guys some more info to help me with ideas, opinions or past experiences

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you’re talking about “smart” from a financial sense, it’s better to keep your car stock. Lol.

I’m not sure about KTuner, but Flashpro has some out of the box calibrations that you can use with some of the simple bolt-ons. I’m fact, one of the calibrations in Flashpro is the equivalent to the reflash.

Even with the Hondata reflash, you either need to go to a tuner to do it for you or you can mail your ECU to get it reflashed. Nothing plug and play about that unfortunately. It’s just a lot cheaper to do the reflash than a custom tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you’re talking about “smart” from a financial sense, it’s better to keep your car stock. Lol.

I’m not sure about KTuner, but Flashpro has some out of the box calibrations that you can use with some of the simple bolt-ons. I’m fact, one of the calibrations in Flashpro is the equivalent to the reflash.

Even with the Hondata reflash, you either need to go to a tuner to do it for you or you can mail your ECU to get it reflashed. Nothing plug and play about that unfortunately. It’s just a lot cheaper to do the reflash than a custom tune.
you mentioned a Fastline HFC I have a skunk 2 catback exhaust would I have to delete the one on the exhaust to have the fastline on it? And would fuel injectors help with much? Any more recommendations with riding performance or just better upgrades And no I didn’t mean smarter as in financial wise but with which tuner to go with what I plan on doing

·
Registered
315 Posts
you mentioned a Fastline HFC I have a skunk 2 catback exhaust would I have to delete the one on the exhaust to have the fastline on it?
The Fastline HFC is a direct replacement for your OEM cat. It will fit directly between your stock headers and Skunk2 exhaust.

And would fuel injectors help with much?
Injectors would primarily help if you go force induction, i.e. turbo or supercharger. Stock injectors would work fine with standard bolt ons.

Any more recommendations with riding performance or just better upgrades
This all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend. Go to Youtube and search "The K-Series Tuning Checklist". That video would give you an idea of what performance mods are good K series engines.

And no I didn’t mean smarter as in financial wise but with which tuner to go with what I plan on doing
Yeah, I know. I was just teasing you with that one.:grin2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Be honest with yourself.. Bolt ons are the way to go. I've thought about a turbo on my car, but i use it as a daily and want to keep it reliable as possible. I've had no problems with the engine what so ever, just have to replace suspension and what not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be honest with yourself.. Bolt ons are the way to go. I've thought about a turbo on my car, but i use it as a daily and want to keep it reliable as possible. I've had no problems with the engine what so ever, just have to replace suspension and what not.
That’s true quite a bit of maintenance but how much horse power would I really get from just bolt ons probably would want more down the road

·
Registered
315 Posts
you mentioned a Fastline HFC I have a skunk 2 catback exhaust would I have to delete the one on the exhaust to have the fastline on it? And would fuel injectors help with much? Any more recommendations with riding performance or just better upgrades And no I didn’t mean smarter as in financial wise but with which tuner to go with what I plan on doing
Not sure why my reply didn't post last week, but the Fastline HFC from Heeltoe is a direct replacement for your OEM cat and bolts directly between your stock exhaust manifold assembly and the skunk2 catback.

Fuel injectors for your setup won't help much unless you start boosting (i.e. turbo or supercharge). No need for injector upgrades for standard bolt ons.

As far as other upgrades are concerned, what are you trying to achieve? Is there something about the car that you want to change? Since the car is new to you, you should drive it around a bit more and get acquainted with all of the limitations that bug you before slapping on the mods. Ultimately, your mod list is only going to be limited the goals that you want to achieve with this car and your budget.

I was just messing with you with the financial stuff. :grin2:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depends, hondata has a reflash for intake and header for the 04-06 and if your in socal they can do same day turn around through some dealers, this is what I plan to do in the next week or so when I get my header and hfc grafted onto the test pipe. I do plan on street pulls 30-50 and 50-70 plus dynos before and after so that may help people in the fence.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey all

Not looking to start a debate about which is a better system

I am looking for real-time info from folks that are currently using either KTuner or Hondata tuning systems so I can see what folks have to say about both systems

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey all

Not looking to start a debate about which is a better system

I am looking for real-time info from folks that are currently using either KTuner or Hondata tuning systems so I can see what folks have to say about both systems

Thanks
The main difference is Ktuner offers accord base maps and can provide you with a ktuner ready Honda ecu for 250 is cases where they can't reflash. While Hondata has a wider breadth of knowledge and assistance. From the ecnd prospective it comes down to whichever your tunercan street tune. Thats going to give you the best drivability and performance, whatever dyno numbers say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts