Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to Church's Automotive on May 26 - 27 to get my Reflash done. If anyone wants to have this done and wishes for me to bring it down, let me know. or if anyone wants to drive down with me that would be cool too. Just throwing the offer out there. I don't trust FedEx, which is why I decided to drive the entire car down. Church's Auto I believe charges $325.00 to do this.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Should be 295 if you bring it to them and pick it up. Whats the additional money for? I paid 295 about a year ago when I dropped off my ecu

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I asked them. He (Ryan @ churchs) said the extra is a service fee. If anyones able to talk them down then I'm all for it.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
That extra service fee sounds like total BS. If anything it should be cheaper. Its been out for a while at that $295 price.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
total bs.... im from the eastcoast and got charged $290 from clubrsx.com and payed $34bucks next day to ship to hondata and hondata shipped back next day free of charge....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you should talk them down.
I tried, they wouldnt budge. either way, the fact that I dont trust any freight cariers, id rather just take it directly there. I'm already paying extra in gas and hotel stays. I have no connections w them nor am I making $ from any of you. Just offering to take anyones ecu if interested. I wasn't trying to start a price war.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Dude just take it to usps ... I payed $31 dollars and $3 to have it insured for $650 dollars for a total of $34 and it worked out... its senseless to take a drive n waste gas and hotel when you can possibly get it next day being that your in the same state as hondata itself... I thought the same but I had no choice but too and had it insured just incase something happened... but to each his own..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I figured that would work. But ill also get a vacation out of this.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'd also just ship it insured..I did it from Canada and had mine back in under 3 days. Of course I got it when it was $600. When you factor in gas, mileage on your car, hotel stay and potential risk of something happening on the road you're probably not saving much at all.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
OP isn't the only one that thought a drive down would be worth it. Back when the reflash was still $500, I organized a group buy and someone from Northern Cali drove down for it. The group buy was with the shop beside Church's, though, and I think that shop is gone now.

I think the service fee is fine. They'll drive your car to Hondata, plug it in, reflash it, and drive it back to you. There is no need to take apart the car and remove the ecu, immobilizer, etc. Personally, I am glad I didn't have to touch the electronics, not to mention having a disabled car until the parts are returned. I, too, would rather just take a short road trip and enjoy a mini-vacation. I just recently drove to the Grand Canyon just to visit for the weekend (since I like to drive). The Grand Canyon was much farther than a trip to Vegas or Northern Cali.

Depending on when your appointment is, maybe I'll visit so we can have a mini TSX meet.

As for the freight companies, I don't trust them either. I have worked at places where I had to see each of them daily (UPS, FedEx, and DHL), and only DHL handled packages carefully. Even if the package is insured, sometimes they blame the shipper.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I manage projects related to Freight claims with freight carriers. They are ridiculous and so this is why I've decided to not ship it. I'm leaving SJ on 05/26, and hope to be there before 3PM. According to Church's, its same day service if I bring it before 3PM. If not, i'll just do it on Friday the 27th. I'll PM you my info.

OP isn't the only one that thought a drive down would be worth it. Back when the reflash was still $500, I organized a group buy and someone from Northern Cali drove down for it. The group buy was with the shop beside Church's, though, and I think that shop is gone now.

I think the service fee is fine. They'll drive your car to Hondata, plug it in, reflash it, and drive it back to you. There is no need to take apart the car and remove the ecu, immobilizer, etc. Personally, I am glad I didn't have to touch the electronics, not to mention having a disabled car until the parts are returned. I, too, would rather just take a short road trip and enjoy a mini-vacation. I just recently drove to the Grand Canyon just to visit for the weekend (since I like to drive). The Grand Canyon was much farther than a trip to Vegas or Northern Cali.

Depending on when your appointment is, maybe I'll visit so we can have a mini TSX meet.

As for the freight companies, I don't trust them either. I have worked at places where I had to see each of them daily (UPS, FedEx, and DHL), and only DHL handled packages carefully. Even if the package is insured, sometimes they blame the shipper.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
werd i thought hondata has to take out chip and immobilizer ... they just hook it up to the car and presto?...didnt know that

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
i wish i only paid $325 for the reflash instead of $500
Seriously.. and I was part of the group buy.. 2-3 years ago.. :/
Four years ago, the price was $595, and the group buy only got it down to $565 or so. Even then, paying close to $600 was worth it back then. Now that the prices have dropped so much, it is now a no-brainer.

Thank you. I manage projects related to Freight claims with freight carriers. They are ridiculous and so this is why I've decided to not ship it. I'm leaving SJ on 05/26, and hope to be there before 3PM. According to Church's, its same day service if I bring it before 3PM. If not, i'll just do it on Friday the 27th. I'll PM you my info.
Sounds good. I don't know if I am working on that day, but I work in the evenings (4 PM or so), so there should be some time to stop by still. Or, since I live between you and Church's, we can caravan down there when you get into the area (unless you're taking PCH down).

werd i thought hondata has to take out chip and immobilizer ... they just hook it up to the car and presto?...didnt know that
If the shop that you go to is close to Hondata, they will usually just drive it to Hondata themselves. Hondata then plugs their machine to a cable under your dashboard, reflashes the ecu, and then it's done. After an hour, the car is already headed back to you with its reflash.

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
I payed the same not too long ago... I took it there, didn't take to long either. Not to discourage anyone, there was a glitch in the reflash, everything worked but the rev limiter was still at the stock setting. There are four stages in our ECU that keep our system working properly and the reflash only had covered 3/4. So I was able to talk to Doug at hondata who developed the reflash for our cars and he told me what happened and fixed it with NP. I'm not sure if hes gotten the system on his end completely worked out but should be by now.

Just lettin everyone know so they'll pay attention. Other than that I have to say everything was good to go!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts