Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Planning to clean up the engine bay this week and would like to get some advice on how to do this right. As I understand it I need to cover up the battery and the alternator but I think the rest of the innards are all safe to get wet?

Is there anything else I need to cover up? And I suppose after I'm done I should leave it open to give it time to dry?

thanks,

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
if I were to do it, I'd do better than that.

I'd spend a good 45 minutes in there covering up anything that looked like raw electrical.

I'd over-protect things, there's no reason not to.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
I'm against using a hose/water on the engine bay...jap cars have a greater tendency to rust lol. Some elbow grease, common sense and patience and you can achiece much better results.

Remove air box, strut bar, valve cover..(the more the merrier lol)

1. Wire brush to remove hard surface grime/dirt buildup (use on block)

2. Spray engine degreaser safely on block, making sure not to be near sensors/connectors. Scrub down with terry cloth.

3. Bucket of water to damp the terry cloths. Wipe down using damp terry cloths.

4. Finish it off with some engine brite engine detailer to give it a nice shine, use it on hoses (spray on terry cloth and give it a wipe, give the black plastic trim some shine, the engine bay itself can come to life..)

In my opinion, hosing it down really powers out the grime/dirt you can see..which you can remove without the help of water. For those areas that the water drips down to it will just cause long term corrosion.

Example of how this can be done in an hour or so of work:

This is my '06 with 64k miles. Pervious owner never touched the engine bay. 90 minutes of work lead to these results, again, never turned on the hose!

Before:

After:

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
I just use a microfiber towel and some water and it gets the job done depending on how dirty the engine bay is... just days ago I used some simple green and it takes all the grime out... I don't trust hosing the engine bay...goodluck

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
din9lebeRrY's advice is pretty spot on. You don't need to use a hose to clean the engine bay. I am at 64k miles and have never hosed down the engine bay. Wiping down the engine bay is as clean, if not cleaner, than hosing down the engine bay. Plus, it's a lot safer and no worries of getting water where it shouldn't be.

Besides, when you hose down the engine bay, it can make some parts of your engine bay "dirty". What I mean is that the minerals in the water hose could leave a lot of water spots in areas of the engine bay that you can't reach.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll start with the driest method first and work my way up depending on how stubborn the dirt is. The car was garage parked and has only 28,000KMs on it so it's not too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts