Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Interesting. Although I think the cause-and-effect is the other way around: I think the emphasis in the advertising reflects what the trend already was.

Main thing that strikes me about that article is how much the Volvo S40 looks like a toy in that pic:

Really kinda cute, eh?

Not that there's anything wrong with that..... :D

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
I like the looks of the new S40, although it doesn't seem to be getting much love.

As for the article, I'm not sure how they are correlating hp increases to increased fatalities. They said that 40-some thousand people died in automobile accidents last year, the highest since 1990. But aren't there more people and more cars now than in 1990? Would make more sense statistically to look at it as a % of all cars, along with number of miles driven.

My 1984 Cavalier couldn't get out of it's own way from a stop light, but it could do 85 MPH on the highway just as easily as my BMW does.

Also, over half of the cars sold these days are SUV's, and while they have more HP they aren't exactly pocket rockets.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but the cars are very stable at high speeds unlike an 84 cavalier. Also, they did mention a % of deaths per total miles driven. There were more deaths, but also more miles driven, so the percentage came out similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts