Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, Whatchamacallit talked about having first heard of the TSX way back in October 2002 -- which was way earlier than most people. I mean, I'm a hard-core Acura guy, and besides I was looking hard for a great car that would be just a bit smaller than the TL-S but bigger than the BMW 3-series etc., I mean praying for a car like that (there were a couple of cars like that, like the Saab 9-3, but I didn't want those), so I was REALLY looking out. And then Acura, for cryin' out loud, is about to come out with such a car and I don't hear about it until about 3 months later than Whatchamacallit.

I remember exactly -- one Sunday afternoon, my lady is reading the NY Times, looking at the car section (she has her points :D ), and she calls me over and says, "I found your next car." Indeed she had. There was a big TSX story on the front page. Three months later, I was in a TSX.

Those 3 months felt awful long. :D

So...... how and when did y'all find out about the car?

Including Whatchamacallit -- October 2002????? :cool:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
hmm...

I cant seem to remember.

I know it was over a year ago when I first heard about it.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
I was looking to purchase a new car in late 2002/early 2003. The Acura TL-S and the then redesigned Honda Accord were very high on my short list but I was concerned about the total size and the AT problems on the TL while I hated the rear end of the Accord.

Anyways, this being a major purchase, I did my research on both cars on various forums (just like I did for the TSX). Then I began reading about rumors from various Accord forums who had heard about the TSX. The more I read about it, the more I realized this was my next car. And the rest is history. . .

G

·
I first heard about and seen it at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show. To be honest, it didn't really grab my attention. Actually, I didn't give it the attention it deserved. At that time, I was in love with the Celica. :D I guess I've grown up a little since then. If I remember correctly, they had a red TSX at the show.

·
Registered
332 Posts
2003 NIAS for me as well. I was lukewarm to the styling at first and was concerned about the I-4. Once the power and handling comments came in April I took more notice. The equipment list and price (esp. in Canada) sealed the deal.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
i wish i could remeber i saw some concept a few years ago and was sold since then :)

was a fan of the JDM accord like crazy and was just waiting for it to come... i was a tad bit dissapointed that it didnt come as the accord... but thas aiight

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hondafreak4eva said:
.... i was a tad bit dissapointed that it didnt come as the accord... but thas aiight
Why? A few other people have said this, and I never get it. What's the difference?

If you mean that it's "just an Accord," well, you could argue that either way.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
various car forums

·
TSX of the Month Winner
94 Posts
Back in April I was in the process of buying a VW GTI. It just so happens that my VW dealer also sells Acuras. :) I went out to test drive the gti, and I noticed the tsx out front. The rest is history...:D

G

·
an accident

I was surfing around the internt trying to find as much information on the 2004 galant as i could find. then i started thinking about how much a navigation system would be useful to me(i'm always gettin lost) so i started looking at the 2004 Accord but i wanted something with the sport stronic shift and the accord doesn't have that and then some how some where this beautiful angel fell on to my screen(corny) but still when i saw the TSX i ran to the nearest acura dealership to look at it and take a test drive now i have my mind set on it and i will mostly be buying myself on by May.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: an accident

nore03 said:
I was surfing around the internt trying to find as much information on the 2004 galant as i could find. then i started thinking about how much a navigation system would be useful to me(i'm always gettin lost) so i started looking at the 2004 Accord but i wanted something with the sport stronic shift and the accord doesn't have that and then some how some where this beautiful angel fell on to my screen(corny) but still when i saw the TSX i ran to the nearest acura dealership to look at it and take a test drive now i have my mind set on it and i will mostly be buying myself on by May.
Welcome, nore! Pretty cool -- "beautiful angel"? :D

The TSX has maybe the smoothest, funnest sport-shift there is. And if you take a look at some reviews, you'll see that just about everybody thinks the TSX Nav is just about the best, if not the best.....although I think the voice-activated aspect is overrated! It's neat and you can impress people with it, but you'll probably find yourself doing it the regular way most of the time.

And loving it!

·
in search of PW threads
301 Posts
May 2002, IIRC. The Acura UD (internal code name) was mentioned in a bulletin to dealers. This news made its way to vtec.net.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
May 2002!!!!!!

I think that might be a record for these forums.
Maybe other people heard of it earlier, but I don't know that anybody has laid claim to it.

But even with "May 2002," I still don't feel too bad about jumping the gun and getting my '03 TL-S, because it was still earlier than that (Feb. 2002).

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Re: an accident

nore03 said:
Keep in mind that in some regions, the TSX is still selling well so you likely will have to wait a little for the exact combination you want. (interior and exterior color, Nav vs no Nav, and 5AT vs 6MT). Or if you are lucky or willing to compromise a little, they might have the car already on the lot. At any rate, it doesn't hurt to start early and visit/call/email as many Acura dealers near your area and find out what inventory they have, what's coming in, and how much they are asking for it. G'luck.

BTW, no offense to other Galant owners (myself included), but what have they done to the Galant? Do they only hire design engineers who don't look at themselves in the mirror in the morning? Or did it catch the same bug that struck the new Maxima? :puke:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: Re: an accident

Whatchamacallit said:
BTW, no offense to other Galant owners (myself included), but what have they done to the Galant? Do they only hire design engineers who don't look at themselves in the mirror in the morning? Or did it catch the same bug that struck the new Maxima? :puke:
Exactly! It doesn't look anything like the Max, yet... there's a certain familiarity between the designs. It's like they're trying too hard. I liked the previous two gens of the Galant, but this one's taken a nosedive. All the current mainstream midsize sedans are kinda weird now, except the MZ6. Accord, Camry, Galant, Max, Altima, Malibu, Grand Prix...

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Re: Re: Re: an accident

kiteboy said:
All the current mainstream midsize sedans are kinda weird now, except the MZ6. Accord, Camry, Galant, Max, Altima, Malibu, Grand Prix...
Yes. Maybe the new trend (for midsized family sedan) is if you make the car look weird enough, it makes the driver look good in comparison. True that looks are mostly cosmetic but if it's only cosmetic, why make it look weird?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking at the 2004 Galant, took it for a spin and it was nothing to brag about. I hopped on over to the Acura dealer across the street, asked about the TSX, hopped in a used one with 8200 miles on it and I fell in love with it. I took it home the next day =).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts