Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 and was looking into getting the usa spec ipod adaptor for my car.But before I did I wanted to make sure that removing the radio was something I could possibly do myself. Because for the most part the usa spec adaptor just seems like a pretty easy install. Just looking at the factory radio.I wouldnt know where to begin to start taking it apart.So I was wondering if anyone had a step by step way.

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
If you're looking because you want to do the install yourself then you don't need to remove the headunit. You will just need to pop out the cd pocket/cubby hole underneath the headunit. The install is the same as the iSimple so just use that DIY but instead install the USASpec.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok nevermind on how to get the cd pocket out.I found some other pics and got how that comes out. But my question now is like the question alot of people have is where is the connector that you have to remove.I reached my hand up behing where I pulled the pocket out and felt a couple connectors.but i figured those are for the a/c control head.I just wanna know where to find this connector at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok the pictures kind of help a little bit. and gave me a different idea of where to mount the usaspec module.My radio is just basic not a navigation radio. so that y wiring harness isn't necessary for my application then.But im still having trouble locating the connector that I have to unplug to plug in the usaspec adaptor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can try using a mirror. It took me like 5 minutes to find it. but once I found it, it took about 5 minutes to install.

In my car, I mounted it down so it comes out on the driver side..

Don't know if this is safe, its been there for like a year.

Its sleek and no drilling necessary. and the chord just tucks away on the driver side.

·
3,224 Posts
Yea use a mirror or some other reflective thing, I used the back of my ipod since it's like a mirror lol. You will see the connector which is right in the middle behind that big middle cubby. Unplug the connector and then connect your unit in there and complete the connections. I routed mine to my glove box opposed to the center console storage. You can put it in any place you'd like though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But my car isn't a nav radio.is the connector the same one that everyone is talking about.because the a/c control head in my car is where the radio controls on a nav would be.So i was wondering if it was the same.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
But my car isn't a nav radio.is the connector the same one that everyone is talking about.because the a/c control head in my car is where the radio controls on a nav would be.So i was wondering if it was the same.
Shouldn't make a difference, the connector you're looking for is similar to one in upper right corner of pic:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I finally had time to try and install this. and I guess I unplugged the wrong one.and my radio went blank the connector was blue.(if that helps). I figured that was bad so I plugged it back in and my radio then said "code" so im guessing that was the wrong one.But I was looking through the owners manual to see if the code was in there. and it isn't.I bought my car used.So I guess im shit out of luck. Anyone know what to do now?

·
3,224 Posts
Well your car is supposed to be off when you're doing the install. I would call up your local dealer and ask them if there is a way to get your code. I called up my dealer and they said that they look it up through the VIN number so I would try that out.

Also when I did that I didn't have to input the code. I think the wire plug is white...not 100% sure though. It's right in the middle so I am not sure which one you undid. Goodluck with it though and lmk if you have any issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok well i got the radio working again the dealer helped me with getting the code.(if you just open your glove box and look the little white sticker on the side.thats your code.atleast thats how it worked out for me.) but anyways the only connector i felt is that blue one.if you reach in and like go up it right there and it plugs in towards you. but when i reflected a cd to see up in there i dont see anything else.so i guess a little more in depth of location of this little gremlin is what i need.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts

I realize you don't have the Navi but the radio should have a similar style connector though it may be higher up in the dash.

In the picture above, while it is of a navi equipped TSX clearly shows the white connector at the top center of the photo. Your connector may be blue and not white but it should be the same shape.

This is the connector you need to pull out and replace with the USASpec interface. If this still isn't clear then please post a pic of your USASpec harness so we can see it's configuration.

The 14-pin connector you are removing from your radio should resemble what is on the left side of the above pic.

Here is a pic of the mating connector located in the back of your radio.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I got it.FINALLY! the whole time im looking for something to unplug. when actually all it was you have to find the port that the usaspec plugs into.but anyways i got it.thanks for everyones help.This shits pretty bomb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that I finally got it in and have been enjoying it.I just had one question about it.I noticed when turning the vehicle off the ipod still says its charging.I was wondering if it eventually just shuts off. I just dont wanna leave my ipod pluged in and go to start it sometime and it drained my battery.I have been unplugging it everytime.but sometimes I forget about.I was just curios about this.

·
3,224 Posts
It will remain charging but won't kill out the battery of your car or your iPod. I leave it in there sometimes and sometimes I take it out, never had a problem with it though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts