Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that powder coat can withstand temperatures of 500F. Does our IM even get that hot? I'm getting my IM powder coated so I wanna know if it can withstand the heat of the IM. I can get it ceramic coated but that's gonna cost me 50 dollars more at another place. The place I'm doing it at doesn't do ceramic coating. I'm cheap by the way.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
I think the IM doesn't get that hot. You have all the gaskets too so i'm sure it doesn't get that hot. I touch the IM from time to time after driving and its not hot at all. Warm at best.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the IM doesn't get that hot. You have all the gaskets too so i'm sure it doesn't get that hot. I touch the IM from time to time after driving and its not hot at all. Warm at best.
Do you have gaskets too? Because I don't know what's wrong with mine. Mine gets hot. Hot enough that I can't touch it for more than 5 seconds without pulling my hand out. And I don't think there was anything wrong with the installation either.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
yeah i have both the hondata IMG gasket and the p2r injector base gasket. Thats interesting. I'll do the IM touch test today and tomorrow and let you know how hot it feels

·
Evan
1,090 Posts
Think of it this way. People powdercoat Valve Covers all the time and theres not way that IM get hotter than a Valve Cover but you never hear of any issues with ppl powdercoating thier VC.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think of it this way. People powdercoat Valve Covers all the time and theres not way that IM get hotter than a Valve Cover but you never hear of any issues with ppl powdercoating thier VC.
It's just so weird that this place I went to told me that they need to special coat the IM but not the VC. That got me thinking that the IM gets hotter than the VC.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe they just want your monies man.
Probably. But I'm still trying to go the cheaper route so only in a desperate situation would I go to them :D

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Powdercoat away, it doesn't get near that hot. Do the jtso injector mod and you'll notice a significant drop on the intake manifold surface temperature. Hell I'd polish is smooth then powdercoat it.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so I just got done driving for 8 miles on the freeway. Popped the hood right away and touched the IM with my whole hand. It's hot, yea, but bearable this time. I then put one finger on the VC and zomg unbearable. So it's confirmed. IM don't get as hot, at least to my knowledge from personal experiment.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Performance
8,413 Posts
I can touch mine after driving and its hot, but not burning hot. Also driving at high speeds like free is constantly sending air into it so thats cooling it. It's street driving, stop & go that allows it to heats up

After a long road trip, like to SD or Vegas....pop the hood and touch it...its bone COLD!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts