Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if people warm up their car before they drive on cold days? I see so many people on the streets these days just sit in the car and go..

what kind of problems can a car have if it is not warmed up? Personally wait 10-15min.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i dont think u need to sit in the car for 10-15mins
the car warm up so fast just dun rev the car when you just start it drive slowly then i think it will be ok

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you not rev a manual tranny? I heard that if you just roll the car will be fine and will warm up quick but from your expiriance did your cars ever give you problems doing this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
tsxclub said:
how do you not rev a manual tranny? I heard that if you just roll the car will be fine and will warm up quick but from your expiriance did your cars ever give you problems doing this?
i have a 95 integra auto it has 130000km on it rite now n is still running strong

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
COKE said:
i have a 95 integra auto it has 130000km on it rite now n is still running strong
wow amazing do you live in a cold area?

·
Registered
954 Posts
tsxclub said:
Just wondering if people warm up their car before they drive on cold days? I see so many people on the streets these days just sit in the car and go..

what kind of problems can a car have if it is not warmed up? Personally wait 10-15min.
I live in WI, and when I bought my Integra GS-R in 1996, the dealer told me that I didn't need to sit and let the car warm up. He said that after about 10-15 seconds, you're ready to go. Of course that doesn't mean that I can take it up to redline right away. The car will warm up faster driving it than letting it sit at idle.

The reason you want to warm up the car a little is that you want the oil to get warmed enough to make sure that it is lubricating the engine properly before driving. When the engine is cold, most of the oil has drained out of the engine into the oil pan and is thick. By giving it a little time to warm up, the oil has time to course through the engine.

The only time I let me car idle for more than 20 seconds when it is cold is if I'm waiting for the windows to defrost.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: how many people warm up their car?

sjlee said:
I live in WI, and when I bought my Integra GS-R in 1996, the dealer told me that I didn't need to sit and let the car warm up. He said that after about 10-15 seconds, you're ready to go. Of course that doesn't mean that I can take it up to redline right away. The car will warm up faster driving it than letting it sit at idle.

The reason you want to warm up the car a little is that you want the oil to get warmed enough to make sure that it is lubricating the engine properly before driving. When the engine is cold, most of the oil has drained out of the engine into the oil pan and is thick. By giving it a little time to warm up, the oil has time to course through the engine.

The only time I let me car idle for more than 20 seconds when it is cold is if I'm waiting for the windows to defrost.
thanks for the info! how about turning on the AC or heater when the car is just started on cold / hot days ? does the car have any problems if this is done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
tsxclub said:

I have yet to look into the TSX manual.. but I used to warm up my 98 prelude till it idles at 1 or below(takes 3-5mins)..
Till I read what it says on the Honda manual: car can be driven within 1 min, anything more than that is waste of gas.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Re: Re: how many people warm up their car?

tsxclub said:
thanks for the info! how about turning on the AC or heater when the car is just started on cold / hot days ? does the car have any problems if this is done?
No, there really aren't any problems, but it pretty useless to do that. If it's cold out, then the heater is not going to work until the engine warms up. Until then, it's like having the A/C on. When it's hot out, the A/C won't kick in until the compressor gets going. Actually, it'll kick in faster if you start driving, as the heat from the engine will get dissipated faster due to airflow.

It's not a good idea to run the A/C in the winter.

As a side note, if your car ever starts to overheat (i.e. due to a faulty thermostat) and the engine temp light comes on, turning on the heat full blast will help pull some of the heat off the engine until you can limp to a gas station or off the highway.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
i usually let it warm up for a minute or two.. while i warm up :p
and let the deforster etc kick in... :( i miss the garage i used to have at my old apt complex

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Garage has so many things around one wrong move and half my car is gone lol no time to clean it up.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I start the car. Turn the heated seat to high and turn on the back and front defrosters. Get out and scrape the side windows. Once those are done the back is halfway melted so I finish that off then wipe the front off and scrape anything left off. Then shift like I'm breaking in the car until its warmed up....or thats what I will be doing soon when winter gets here :(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
2,851 Posts
Even though I keep mine in the garage, I still warm it up.

I have seen a nice improvement with my mileage if I let it warm up for a goood ten min. For my three mile commute to school, I used to prob use half a gallon. Now I use maybe 1/8 of a gallon.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
you guys sure warmed this thread back from the dead. :D

I don't warmup. It's just wasting gas and smoking the enviorment. I just drive VERY slowly for like 5 minutes...then a little faster until it's all warmed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
do any of you guys that dont warm up the car have a problem where when the car shifts (AT) from first to second gear it hesitates. It almost seems that there is no spark for a split second then the car continues to roll on. I have an 04 at and it happens to me if i dont warm it up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I usually warm up until the temperature needle moves.. then i start drive slow..
it takes about 5 min usually but it takes longer on a colder day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts