Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my dilemma. I HATE my car right now. The car itself is great, but the vibrations at idle are horrendous. I originally had what I thought to be worn engine mounts, so I replaced 3 tranny mounts (6MT) and the front and rear engine mounts. All replacement mounts were "Anchor" brand. Tranny mounts seem fine with exact feel as the OEM ones. The engine mounts seemed fine (heck they even had the OEM part number stamped into the rubber).

However, the front mount did NOT have a tube for the hydraulic / dual-density feature that the OEM mount has. As a result, I capped the tube off with silicone and a screw (couldn't find a cap to fit), and the current non-OEM mount is obviouusly not using the hydraulic feature of this car.

The idle vibrations are intense and terrible and I can see my hood vibrating, my change tray rattles, and water in a water bottle will dance and have a small typhoon in it while at a stoplight.

Does anyone here think going back to a new OEM mount with hydraulic connection will solve this problem?

For reference, I had a 1991 Integra with Energy Suspension polyurethane inserts, and even in the middle of an Ontario winter, it was vibrating less than the TSX currently is.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
what the f***? That doesnt even sound normal on any level lol.

I thought that hydraulic function aws paramount for A/T equipped cars, on M/T it didn't matter. I could and most likely am wrong though lol.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing that screws over any testing I could have done, is that when I went to the Anchor mounts, I kept the Ingalls ETD installed. Once I un-installed it a few months later, the vibrations were the same, so it ruled out the ETD but didn't necessarily rule out the original mounts or new mounts. Bah!!!! :banghead:

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
I thought that hydraulic function aws paramount for A/T equipped cars, on M/T it didn't matter. I could and most likely am wrong though lol.
The hydraulic mount is dual-mode: one for dampening engine vibrations at idle and the other fire when the engine is at higher revs. It didn't matter what transmission you have. If the motor mount is soft, the driver would not feel vibrations but the engine would move about during turns and accelerations. If the mount is firm, the engine won't shift its weight about but vibrations would be sent throughout the car. Thus our hydraulic mount lets us enjoy a soft mount at idle and a firm mount while moving.

It sounds like OP's brand is a firm mount. It's ideal in a racing application, especially since racers don't care as much about the vibrations. However, I don't think it's supposed to vibrate that much. There could be something causing the engine to vibrate more.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to spring for a new front OEM dual-mode mount. I'll leave the rear (Anchor brand) engine mount alone... for now. I am not sure if I threw the old OEM mounts in the garbage though. Fack! I could always swap the rear OEM one back in... guess not now if it's at the dump!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replaced my mounts with after market - had a lot of vibration. Changed mounts back to OE, vibration gone - zero vibration at idle. Definitely go with OE mounts. At least for the front and rear. Also be sure to 'normalize' them after you install.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would try taking your belt off and starting the car. If it doesn't vibrate as much, it could be your aftermarket pulleys (if that's what unorthodox is in your signature) putting a different load/ harmonics on the motor.

A low idle can be caused by a dirty throttle body and other induction issues, vac lines etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I'm going to spring for a new front OEM dual-mode mount. I'll leave the rear (Anchor brand) engine mount alone... for now. I am not sure if I threw the old OEM mounts in the garbage though. Fack! I could always swap the rear OEM one back in... guess not now if it's at the dump!
did replacing just the front one with OEM mount fix the vibration?

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did replacing just the front one with OEM mount fix the vibration?
I'd say the front mount solved about 75% of the vibration. I only get noticeable vibration with the A/C compressor engaged now. Otherwise it's silky smooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.