Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my question is just to validate my expense. I will be paying close to $950 for putting in a new starter at the dealership. It is already getting worked on, so I can't take it back, but I just want to know if I'm getting royally sc*#wed or if it's the usual... thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Holy Wow...for a starter?? This must be more labor entensive than I'm picturing. Anyone changed it on their own?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Triple Rollover Survivor
156 Posts
+1 to Awoc. That job is not worth $950, especially when the part is likely a rebuild.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G XE with Beats Audio using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
305 Posts
dam man, i actually bought a used one for $75 and my acura mehanic buddy had it installed in about an hour if that. def ripped even if a brand new part i would say

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
It's definitely not worth $950 but it is labor intensive. When I worked at Future Shop. The jobs usually took 2-3 hours. Some took all day, especially the Nissan's with the smart key.

·
Registered
427 Posts
what does a smart key have to do with a starter? Just swap then and plug in.? I mean on tsx you have to take off intake manifold, but it's cake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a reman starter last year and it took me a couple hours to install. It was a bit of a pain, but i was flying blind without any good DIY instructions at the time. I considered buying an oem starter but it was over $300 (i think closer to $400).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess my question is just to validate my expense. I will be paying close to $950 for putting in a new starter at the dealership. It is already getting worked on, so I can't take it back, but I just want to know if I'm getting royally sc*#wed or if it's the usual... thanks in advance
Screwed isn't the word I'd use... Beyond screwed,,, NEVER go to the dealership unless you absolutely have to.. There's a of DIY's on this site that can help you get anything done for 1/5th of the price a dealer would charge you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well to those that are mechanically incline 1-2 hours would be thir normal... to those that are less inclined.. thiswould be considered a hard job.. but 950 was too expensive.. if you went to a local shop it would cost around 250-400 the most tops

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
what does a smart key have to do with a starter? Just swap then and plug in.? I mean on tsx you have to take off intake manifold, but it's cake.
For some reason, I thought this whole thread was about an autostarter... not just a starter. LOL.

Yeah... $950 is overkill. I had mine replaced for $200 and that was OEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts