Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i'm sure everyone knows of these allegations that acura only made 15,000 tsx for sale, but recent figures show that they've supposedly sold over 17,000 already. I plan on buying one soon (god willing) and i'm getting worried (especially with all the rave reviews, exstatic owners, and advertising going on) about the fact that they are a (supposedly) limited edition and have been available for sale since what? march of this year? does anyone have any idea about when these will be *gulp* unavailable? i would like to wait past the winter (even if i don't think my pos will hold up) but i don't want to wait and kill myself later, cuz i have a feeling the 2005 will probably be pricier,and even if it isn't, it'll probably have slight body mods and i've already fallen too hard the 2004.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
dirk said:
ok, so i'm sure everyone knows of these allegations that acura only made 15,000 tsx for sale, but recent figures show that they've supposedly sold over 17,000 already. I plan on buying one soon (god willing) and i'm getting worried (especially with all the rave reviews, exstatic owners, and advertising going on) about the fact that they are a (supposedly) limited edition and have been available for sale since what? march of this year? does anyone have any idea about when these will be *gulp* unavailable? i would like to wait past the winter (even if i don't think my pos will hold up) but i don't want to wait and kill myself later, cuz i have a feeling the 2005 will probably be pricier,and even if it isn't, it'll probably have slight body mods and i've already fallen too hard the 2004.
As for the 15,000 unit allocation, I believe this was based on the premise that Honda would only be capable of cranking out that many units from it's plant in Japan. Due to the extraordinary popularity of the European and Japanese Accords (European of Car of the Year) it was believed that ~15k units could only be made available for U.S. export. Obviously they must have worked additional hours/shifts and increased effeciency to squeeeze a few more out. If the demand continues I can only guess that Honda will figure out it needs another plant to produce these.

I seriously doubt that the TSX will become unavailable anytime soon as it has been a hugh success for Honda. The profit in marketing an upscale Accord (European) in the U.S. has shown tremendous potential and no doubt has spawned a new trend. The new JDM Inspire is now based on the USDM Accord instead of the previous USDM TL. Everyone wants what the other country has. Given that, most people will pay extra to get it, case in point, the TSX.

As for future body mods, consider that Honda is now on a 5-6 year model lifepan. The last Accord went from '98-'02 (5 years) and the Odyssey is already into it's 6th model year (1999-2004). Honda usually makes minor facelfits to the front and rear ends and increases horsepower about every 2 model years. Sometimes they surprise you with the power increase by bumping it up slightly and eliminating the need for premium fuel. They did that on the Odyssey in 2001 when it went from 210 HP on Premium to 240HP on Regular in 2002. Almost every new model year they change a few colors and possibly add a few new features. I wouldn't expect the former to occur until the 2006 model year. My guess for 2005 would be to see some color changes, XM satellite radio integration, the newer GPS climate control system, new wheel size/design and maybe one or two other wildcard features just to keep things fresh. They showed an A-Spec TSX at SEMA this year so this could become a new upgrade later in the 2004 model year and sold as a 2005? Since I'm already guessing, don't be surprised to see the bluetooth phone interface and the DVD 5.1 audio system, both from the TL and possibly OnStar offered as well.

If they make significant changes and word gets out, the current model will be still available and discounted more heavily by the dealers. Just look what happend during the transition of the TL from '03 to '04. And if everything I said doesn't occur, you can always buy used? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a bunch! that definitely quells most of my worries, and gives me a little bit more confidence when a dealer is standing fast to their, "this car is selling itself, we can't keep them on the lot, and before you know it, they'll be gone like the wind!!"

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
There's no specific limit, but at the same time they're not making that many and they won't be any time soon, even with the recent announcement that the production will be increased.

I think we can be sure that for the foreseeable future if not beyond, you'll definitely be able to keep getting TSX's. But the supply-demand situation in most places is very favorable to the dealer, so you probably won't be able to "deal" too much, and you might have to wait a while for the car.

So -- when they tell you that the car is in limited supply or whatever, don't worry too much about exactly what that means. All you need to know is:

-- There's a relatively limited supply of these cars, and at least for the foreseeable future there will continue to be.

-- And there's no shortage of other buyers, so you've got a lot of competition for your business.

-- But you'll be able to get the car, although you might have to wait a little while to get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts