Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out if my TSX is burning too much oil. The last time I brought it in for a change, the tech said the level was way too low even though I'm sure I added at least two quarts since the prior change. Also, how long do you go between changes? The often recommended 3,000 miles or longer/shorter?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't add any. Even after an 8k mile road trip I didn't need to add any. I also put about 2.77-4.8qt per change also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i burn about a 1/4 to a 1/2 quart per change. i change at 3-4k. Do you beat on your car alot?
I just do regular daily driving. I don't even drive to work everyday as my company gives free bus passes. I don't drive aggresively (that often). There's no oil stain where I park my car so I don't think there's a leak. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I just do regular daily driving. I don't even drive to work everyday as my company gives free bus passes. I don't drive aggresively (that often). There's no oil stain where I park my car so I don't think there's a leak. I can't figure it out.
Oil burn is a common problem on certain 2004s.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I know my 06 burns a bit..it's not excessive according to Honda's standard (their standard is below standard IMO)

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
I added like 200ml to bring the oil level from the lower dot to upper dot.
Was this with the engine warm or cold?

I do not have to add any oil.

If you're car has higher mileage then there would be a good reason to add because of wear and tear on the internals. Otherwise your motor is probably in rough shape due to abuse/defects.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
when its colder out, the car puffs blue smoke for the first 15sec of a cold start. (not a crazy amount but enough to see it) the valve seals on OHC cars tend to leak depending on the car obviously. some do some dont. but once it gets warm out it doesnt happen at all. i also changed oils from gtx to penzoil and that made me use alot less oil...couldnt tell you why as it is the same visq. do you drive city or highway mostly?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Was this with the engine warm or cold?

I do not have to add any oil.

If you're car has higher mileage then there would be a good reason to add because of wear and tear on the internals. Otherwise your motor is probably in rough shape due to abuse/defects.
I measure the dip stick with engine cold. With approximately 3000 miles, the oil level dropped from the upper dot to the lower dot. I understand that the engine is okay even the oil level is at the lower dot. Still, I'd top up the oil level right at the upper dot.

The 200ml oil consumed is just because of on cam beating. When the car on cam, the pistons are moving at a very high speed, and therefore consumes a little bit of engine oil

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when its colder out, the car puffs blue smoke for the first 15sec of a cold start. (not a crazy amount but enough to see it) the valve seals on OHC cars tend to leak depending on the car obviously. some do some dont. but once it gets warm out it doesnt happen at all. i also changed oils from gtx to penzoil and that made me use alot less oil...couldnt tell you why as it is the same visq. do you drive city or highway mostly?
I drive mostly highway. I never get smoke when I first start it but then I live in Hawaii so it never gets that cold here (I had the blue smoke problem with my old Accord when I lived on the East Coast so I know what you are talking about there). I had another Accord before owning the TSX and I had the same problem with burning oil. I guess it must have something to do with the way I drive. I'm not going to sweat it, the TSX is a great car so I will just be sure to monitor the oil level.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
I drive mostly highway. I never get smoke when I first start it but then I live in Hawaii so it never gets that cold here (I had the blue smoke problem with my old Accord when I lived on the East Coast so I know what you are talking about there). I had another Accord before owning the TSX and I had the same problem with burning oil. I guess it must have something to do with the way I drive. I'm not going to sweat it, the TSX is a great car so I will just be sure to monitor the oil level.
try a different oil! it worked for me and ik its worked for others:)

as long as its not so bad to the point your oil light comes on than you should be ok:/ just keep an eye on her

1 - 16 of 16 Posts