Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 75 MPH on a smooth black top highway with the air handling system off it registered 63 dbA above the steering. Could not measure at the ear level due to obvious practical problem. Measured with a Rat Shack sound meter. In comparison a quiet suburbia house is about 55-58 dbA.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Great! -- nice job. I don't think anybody on these sites has ever done this before.
Very impressive what you did -- and of course impressive about the car too.

But.....how about telling us what "ATX" is, and exactly what is the thing that you used? I bet that very few people (on any of the TSX sites) actually know about this. I mean, I'm super into sound and decibels and things like that, and I don't even know.

Well, I did a little googling, and I think maybe I do know. First of all I'm taking the bold gamble :D that Rat Shack is a term of endearment :D for Radio Shack. So maybe you mean this (or something similar)?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=33-2055

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
larchmont said:
Great! -- nice job. I don't think anybody on these sites has ever done this before.
Very impressive what you did -- and of course impressive about the car too.

But.....how about telling us what "ATX" is, and exactly what is the thing that you used? I bet that very few people (on any of the TSX sites) actually know about this. I mean, I'm super into sound and decibels and things like that, and I don't even know.

Well, I did a little googling, and I think maybe I do know. First of all I'm taking the bold gamble :D that Rat Shack is a term of endearment :D for Radio Shack. So maybe you mean this (or something similar)?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=33-2055
ATX = Automatic transaxle

Included ATX in the description for full disclosure and the sound level may differ a little between ATX and MTX.

Exactly what I used.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
(Well, OWK is gonna think I'm really really stupid, but what else is new.....) :D

What's MTX?

(Hmmmm.....manual?? And I'm not too clear on the "transaxle" part either....)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
larchmont said:
(Well, OWK is gonna think I'm really really stupid, but what else is new.....) :D

What's MTX?

(Hmmmm.....manual?? And I'm not too clear on the "transaxle" part either....)
Yep you got it MTX = Manual transaxle.

Transaxle = Transmission and axle - in a FWD car transmission and axle are combined into one unit. In RWD car the transmission connects to the axel through a differential gear box.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just curious, have you tried the measurement in other cars on the same road to see how they compare?

Kiteboy, who remebers when Rat Shack sold TRaSh-80 computers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts