Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATF Replacement

NOTE: Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
1. Bring the transmission up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).
2. Park the vehicle on level ground, and turn the engine off.

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=D13E945DC8251291&resid=D13E945DC8251291%21128&authkey=AB9aoSfymo8WCzk" width="320" height="208" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

3. Remove the drain plug (A), and drain the automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Then reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer (B). NOTE: If a cooler cleaner is going to be used, refer to ATF cooler cleaning.

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=D13E945DC8251291&resid=D13E945DC8251291%21130&authkey=ALsCQbXBdIf44CE" width="320" height="289" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

4. Remove the dipstick, and refill transmission with the recommended fluid amount through the opening (A) of the dipstick guide pipe until the level reaches the upper mark on the dipstick. Always use Acura ATF-Z1 automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Using a non-Acura ATF can affect shift quality.

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=D13E945DC8251291&resid=D13E945DC8251291%21129&authkey=AN_e2UoXkWRKykg" width="320" height="275" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

5. Insert the dipstick (A) into the dipstick guide pipe aligning the cap (B) with the guide tab (C).

·
straight (father) hood!
2,362 Posts
For a full overhaul, what are the details? Do you have to break the procedure up into daily stages? Planning to do this for both vehicles.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
For a full overhaul, what are the details? Do you have to break the procedure up into daily stages? Planning to do this for both vehicles.
I would recommend that you replace the ATF. Then, drive a week. Then, replace the ATF again, drive a week... for a total of 3 ATF replacements.

Basically, the car holds a total of 6.5L (6.9qt) but only 2.8L (3qt) comes out when you drain. So by draining, filling, and driving, the new fluid mixes with the old fluid. Each time you drain and fill, the ATF fluid gets cleaner.

Oh and btw, Full Overhaul = taking the transmission apart. I'm assuming thats not what you meant.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
I heard that its best to check it when its at normal operating temp, not cold?
Yes, you're suppose to check it and drain it while its warm.. issue is almost no one follows that, in the scan it says 1. bring transmission to operating temperature

Here's the issue. You better check before you drain. ATF expands, thats why if you cold fill, you can end up adding too much.

Your best practice is warm car, or after a drive, park it, engine will retain heat for a while on warm day. let the fluid gravity drop, say 15-20 min, take measure of fluid level. if its low you can add, if its enough, dont worry about it.

Allow it to cool and drain. this way you can take measure what you drain cold and add the same amount. Why ? if you drain while its warm, you may have a higher level since ATF is already expanded and when you cold fill the same level, you're probably over filling since after the new cold fluid expands, its now at a higher level.

You can drain it warm and measure the level when it cools down and fill that amount. Unless you're heating your new ATF to get the expanded level

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quick question if anyone can chime in with an opinion. I'm planning to do my trans fluid this weekend and I'm having a hard time find out how many times I should drain and fill. I have a 08 auto with 55k on it. Can anyone help? I'm reading that it is at least 3 times, but also have seen alot suggestions on doing it 4 times.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is probably one of the easiest maintenance jobs i've ever done. I just changed mine out a couple of weeks ago for a total of 4 drain and fills with 100k on the speedo. This ensured that I got most of the old fluid out to replace with the new ATF. Doing the procedure 4 times just ensured that I got about 90% of the old fluid out. You'll never get 100% of the old fluid out without doing a full overhaul. So to answer your question 4 times will get out more old fluid than doing it 3 times. I suggest doing it 4 times but it is entirely up to you since you only have 55k on yours.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is probably one of the easiest maintenance jobs i've ever done. I just changed mine out a couple of weeks ago for a total of 4 drain and fills with 100k on the speedo. This ensured that I got most of the old fluid out to replace with the new ATF. Doing the procedure 4 times just ensured that I got about 90% of the old fluid out. You'll never get 100% of the old fluid out without doing a full overhaul. So to answer your question 4 times will get out more old fluid than doing it 3 times. I suggest doing it 4 times but it is entirely up to you since you only have 55k on yours.
Thanks for the reply! I think in my case I'm going to do a 3x3 and start doing a single drain and fill every 2 oil changes. If anyone has a better suggestion or thinks that my idea is stupid ( :laugh: ), please lemme know. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
ATF Replacement

Always use Acura ATF-Z1 automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Using a non-Acura ATF can affect shift quality.
That's no joke. Switched to Redline Racing ATF and had bad slipping between shifts. Back to Honda DW-1 and we're smooth shiftin' again.
Replaced the transmission filter too while I was at it. Cut it open, wow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts