Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Using the conversion rate given on another thread, it seems like your asking price is equivalent to about $26,700 U.S. -- is that right? Even if so it may not be a guideline because of differences between the countries, but if it is any guide, this price seems unusually high.

Am I missing something?

In any event, good luck -- hope you are able to get a good price.
I imagine you know you can also try eBay, although there can be risks and hassles with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
larchmont said:
Using the conversion rate given on another thread, it seems like your asking price is equivalent to about $26,700 U.S. -- is that right? Even if so it may not be a guideline because of differences between the countries, but if it is any guide, this price seems unusually high.

Am I missing something?

In any event, good luck -- hope you are able to get a good price.
I imagine you know you can also try eBay, although there can be risks and hassles with that.
Yeah, I am starting to ponder the price. In Canada, the base price of a new TSX is $34900 CAD. The skirt package and spoiler cost an extra $3000+. The 6 year warranty is $1300. Basically, for a brand new version of my car, you're looking at $39200. And then you have to add the taxes and miscellaneous charges.

Since my car is a 7 month old car with 4500km on it, I figured on $36900, assuming people are going to talk me down a couple grand. Does that sound more reasonable? After hearing all the comments, I wonder if there is something wrong with my reasoning.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
the_peel said:
Yeah, I am starting to ponder the price. In Canada, the base price of a new TSX is $34900 CAD. The skirt package and spoiler cost an extra $3000+. The 6 year warranty is $1300. Basically, for a brand new version of my car, you're looking at $39200. And then you have to add the taxes and miscellaneous charges.

Since my car is a 7 month old car with 4500km on it, I figured on $36900, assuming people are going to talk me down a couple grand. Does that sound more reasonable? After hearing all the comments, I wonder if there is something wrong with my reasoning.
IMO your strategy is off, but you could argue it either way.

OK, so it looks like the price you're expecting to get is considerably below what you're asking. A lot of people believe in doing it that way, and maybe they're right. But I think that such a high asking price scares away potential buyers. BTW I think it also works that way with houses and condos and maybe almost everything else too, but that's another story.

The price that you seem to be really expecting sounds pretty close to reasonable, although IMO still maybe a little high. But in the ballpark, I think.

P.S. Sorry you seem to have to sell it.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
the_peel said:

Just my opinion but the fact that the base price of a brand new TSX is $2K lower than your 7 months old used TSX is going to chase away a lot of people. I understand you added $3000 worth of accessories but the add-ons do not retain anything close to their original value. Plus the potential buyer may not even want them. The $1300 on the warranty might be a good bargaining chip. Sad to hear that you have to let your TSX go but good luck with the sale.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatcham, is his asking price really 2K more than the base price of a new car? Looks to me like it's actually just about equal to it, at least in terms of MSRP -- but then again I'm going by the U.S. price which I know isn't really the point here. Are Canadian prices really that much lower?

·
Registered
332 Posts
larchmont said:
Are Canadian prices really that much lower?
$34,800 + $950 freight. Although buyers aren't likely to factor in freight and just think he's asking $2k over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatchamacallit's got a good point. It makes sense that my price being $2k more than the price of a new car would deter a lot of people. However, even if I decide to sell it for less than MSRP, I'd already be losing over $10k. Just cannot justify losing that much money in the span of 7 months. Whelp, I am starting to reconsider even selling this car now.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I see what our discrepancy was. Two things: The car seems to cost about $1250 more in the U.S. (in U.S. dollars), and indeed I was counting destination charge in the "price," since I think most people do.

But, as I said, I still thought it wasn't a good idea to ask his amount.

About not wanting to lose over 10K: The thing is, that's just about what usually happens when you sell this kind of car at this stage, especially with a bunch of extras. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a buyer who really really wants those extras, and would pay real well for them -- maybe that's your best bet. But unfortunately it may be a long shot.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
the_peel said:
Whelp, I am starting to reconsider even selling this car now.
the_peel,
I dunno how soon you need to sell, but you may have to cut your losses and move on. The chances of finding the right buyer who wants the same setup as your car is going to be difficult . . Or keep the car as you stated. Maybe it would be easier to convince the wife why you should keep the car. We are talking about a (Euro) Accord, the standard in "family sedans".

Larch,
Sorry, I was just quoting the_peel on the base price and his asking price. I was asking myself the same question. But since the price of Canadian TSX isn't proportional to the US TSX, I got confused and just pulled a "yeah what he said".

:mardi:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Likely deciding on keeping this car. After some more research, the loss is too much. ...and I like the car too much. :)

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
the_peel said:
Likely deciding on keeping this car. After some more research, the loss is too much. ...and I like the car too much. :)
Hey good to hear that you get to keep the car.

Time to do more mods just incase she changes her mind? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts