Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my Fiance and I just spent 2 hours at the dealership signing papers before finally going to look at my Euro, I was stunned when I saw her !! She looks sensational, nice tint, spoiler, and I fell in love with the Arctic Blue color !!! The interior is first class, seats are really snug and comfortable, the ride is out of this world, although I didn't really boot her because of the wearing in period, accelleration was smooth and quiet! The controlls are all in a great location, I didn't use the traction controll because it wasn't wet, but the smoothness and grip is outstanding compared to my 2001 Civic which is now the dealers! I will give you a more detailed review after a longer drive but I am shocked at the quality and feel compared to my older Civic !

The only bad thing is that you guys are gonna have to wait untill the morning for photo's, I didn't meet with the dealer untill 4 PM and by the time we got out of there it was dark That and the fact that my digital camera doesn't have a bright enough flash!

I have one question/querie for you guys, when I went over a steep speed hump I heard a distinctive 'Twang' noise coming from the back left side! I know it is obviously suspension related, it really did sound like a spring releasing? Is there anything that can cause this, is it lubrication, or just because it is brand new? The car only has 15 K's on it so is there any wearing in period or anything for the suspension components? This is all new to me so if you guys could help out it would be fantastic Thanks, I just hope it is something that will improve with time and wear otherwise I will have to take her back already :(

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
For your answer to your question/signature - Check the springs/shocks for "spacers". Sometimes dealerships forget to take it out when preparing the car for delivery. If there are no spacers anywhere, you may have to remove the wheel to see clearly ... Then bring up the query when you bring the car in for the first 1000KM service. Your dealership would be happy to address any issues under warranty.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
CL9 K24a said:
For your answer to your question/signature - Check the springs/shocks for "spacers". Sometimes dealerships forget to take it out when preparing the car for delivery. If there are no spacers anywhere, you may have to remove the wheel to see clearly ... Then bring up the query when you bring the car in for the first 1000KM service. Your dealership would be happy to address any issues under warranty.

Oh I never even thaught about spacers...!! What will they look like if I go and check? Can this cause the twang noise? Thanks, I just hope it is something as simple as this :)

I just had a quick look, I can't see anything suspicious in the springs themselves? But I didn't take the wheel off either so I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the shock absorber itself?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know what else could be causing this Twang noise if it isn't the spacers not being removed? It doesn't do it all of the time, only when I go over a large bump or speedhump?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
:woot: :woot: You finally have your car!!! Congrats!! :nod:

As for the twang...Hmmm...does it happen all the time going over humps/speedhumps?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
:woot: :woot: You finally have your car!!! Congrats!! :nod:

As for the twang...Hmmm...does it happen all the time going over humps/speedhumps?

It only makes the twang noise when going over a large bump or a speedhump, and not every time but I heard the noise at least 3 times on the way home and the trip was only around 5-10 K's ! It is hard to describe the sound exactly, but Twang is the closest, it sounds like a Spring is catching then releasing... it is hard to describe but that is what it sounds like, of course it could be completely unrelated ;) Can you imagine grabbing a spring and pushing it down with force then releasing it? I am talking about a large spring of course, and once it releases it is at full extension again!

It will be going back if the noise persists trust me !!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Thorn2004 said:

It only makes the twang noise when going over a large bump or a speedhump, and not every time but I heard the noise at least 3 times on the way home and the trip was only around 5-10 K's ! It is hard to describe the sound exactly, but Twang is the closest, it sounds like a Spring is catching then releasing... it is hard to describe but that is what it sounds like, of course it could be completely unrelated ;) Can you imagine grabbing a spring and pushing it down with force then releasing it? I am talking about a large spring of course, and once it releases it is at full extension again!

It will be going back if the noise persists trust me !!
Hmmm...I'd take it in and mention to them about it... Never know what could happen...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I refer to this thread which I replied to this morning :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip
Have your check list ready and bring a magnifying glass...

Funny you mentioned that, I was looking over the pre-sale, after delivery checklist, there were 2 things not checked, the first was the road-test and the tests related to on road handling, and the second was funilly enough the suspension spacer removal! Does the fact that these 2 boxes remain unchecked mean that it wasn't actually done or is this common practice amongst dealers?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The spring spacers should look like something in grey color, fairly close to the suspension coloring thus hard to spot without proper lighting and full visibility.

It is a set of rubbery blocks that would sit in between each row of springs and they prevent springs contact when the car is being shipped from Japan. Dealerships are served to remove them at vehicle delivery for full suspension travel, the continual use of spacers is dangerous as it does not allow the suspension to properly work as it's designed to. This was more commonly found on S2000s than any make but I've seen them in just about every other model.

My S2000 photo album is done as the site is down - S2ki.com, when it is fully restored I can show you how it exactly looks like. Hope this explanation helps in the meantime until I can show you some pictures.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
CL9 K24a said:
The spring spacers should look like something in grey color, fairly close to the suspension coloring thus hard to spot without proper lighting and full visibility.

It is a set of rubbery blocks that would sit in between each row of springs and they prevent springs contact when the car is being shipped from Japan. Dealerships are served to remove them at vehicle delivery for full suspension travel, the continual use of spacers is dangerous as it does not allow the suspension to properly work as it's designed to. This was more commonly found on S2000s than any make but I've seen them in just about every other model.

My S2000 photo album is done as the site is down - S2ki.com, when it is fully restored I can show you how it exactly looks like. Hope this explanation helps in the meantime until I can show you some pictures.
Ok thanks for the info and heads up :)

Update! :

The problem seems to be gone now, my Fiance took the car over a few speedhumps at her work and there seems to be no twang noise now? Maybe it was just an alignment issue that has corrected itself? The car is literally only a few weeks old, the factory date was the 15th of June :) Now that is what I call a NEW car, off the factory, onto a ship and into my garage ! :mardi:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
....Update! :

The problem seems to be gone now, my Fiance took the car over a few speedhumps at her work and there seems to be no twang noise now? Maybe it was just an alignment issue that has corrected itself?.....
Maybe just the woman's touch? :donno:

Larchmont, who hopes his lady sees this post. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
larchmont said:
Maybe just the woman's touch? :donno:

Larchmont, who hopes his lady sees this post. :D
It might just be :) Either that or it helped when my Fat A$$ wasn't in the car, easier on the suspension you see? ;)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Alignment wouldn't affect noise, it's a handling aspect change. But as all parts and components are new, some of them do need time to "run-in" up to proper performing specifications. I wouldn't worry too much, about 1000KMs would be a good time to evaluate whatever concerns you have and raise them with your local dealership to have them addressed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just found something amazing folks, there is a compartment up above the front windscreen for your sunglasses! Have they infact thaught of everything at Honda? :cool:

I am pretty positive that the suspension noise is gone now, I haven't heard it since the day we brought it home ! :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
Ok thanks for the info and heads up :)

Update! :

The problem seems to be gone now, my Fiance took the car over a few speedhumps at her work and there seems to be no twang noise now? Maybe it was just an alignment issue that has corrected itself? The car is literally only a few weeks old, the factory date was the 15th of June :) Now that is what I call a NEW car, off the factory, onto a ship and into my garage ! :mardi:
Perhaps she hit those speedbumps a little fast and knocked out those nasty suspension spacers? :eek:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
I just found something amazing folks, there is a compartment up above the front windscreen for your sunglasses! Have they infact thaught of everything at Honda? :cool:

I am pretty positive that the suspension noise is gone now, I haven't heard it since the day we brought it home ! :thumbsup:
It's sort of funny, you'll be "discovering" all new kinds of neat little features you never realized existed for weeks to come.

Do you have the Home Link system (integrated garage door openers)?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hip said:
It's sort of funny, you'll be "discovering" all new kinds of neat little features you never realized existed for weeks to come.

Do you have the Home Link system (integrated garage door openers)?
Not sure about the Home Link system, I guess I will have to do some reading through the 3 inch thick manuall ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.