Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if Honda made a VTEC icon in the dash that lit up when VTEC engaged. Just like the ABS or VSA lights. Anyone else ever have this idea? Someone call Honda ASAP.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
I like that idea alot.

Another suggestion I would like to make is; in addition to the VTEC light, there should be another light for a shift light. Maybe a red light that comes on when VTEC is on, and then that same red light starts blinking when its time to shift.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not quite the same as a proper dash icon but you can fit an indicator (i.e. LED) quite easily if you can find out which wire on the ECU is linked to the VTEC. A couple of the lads have done it with their Type-R's and all you need is an LED, some wire, a resistor and a connector for the VTEC wire when you splice onto it.

If you can get hold of a service manual or speak to your local technician at the dealership then you'll be able to find out what wire it is and do the work. Should only take an hour or so but could take longer if you decide to go all out and stick the LED behind the dials and produce a logo/icon.

Hope this helps

Darren

P.S. S2000 starter buttons are also popular here and as easy to fit as the VTEC light. Not sure where you would stick it though

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
I have not yet gotten my i-VTEC orgasm that I paid good $ for :mecry: gotta drive the bish harder....

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
lol, my friends have that intergrated into to their gage cluster, on the CD5 accord it's beside the abs light, the V icone gose amber when the v-tech kicks in, it's is so [email protected]!

·
Registered
42 Posts
good suggestion! i was impressed a few weeks ago when we got a big snow storm and the vsa light went on. i usually baby my car and never drive it out in adverse weather conditions but was outside for most of the day and it snowed. don't know about you but i wouldn't know vsa was on if the light didn't turn on. bet the same on i-vtec!

·
Hondatafied
134 Posts
They've had that around for years. You can buy it off ebay or through some other online shops.

But yeah....not for me. :donno:

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
MAn, i still need to break in my car. ****, so wut RPM does vtec kicks in?

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
feels like it kicks in around 5-6000 rpms.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
An external shift lamp can be wired to do exactly the same thing for the bling factor if required instead of being a shift change indicator and it takes the signal off the cigarette lighter port as well, which means no wiring is required. Perhaps a cheaper and easier option than go splicing the instrument cluster.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
spyguy said:
feels like it kicks in around 5-6000 rpms.

Thanks, now i just have to wait until my engine hits 1000 mile

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
i waited till i hit the 500 mile mark...only once in a while tho.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i got a vtec light that lights red when i hit vtec... and im thinking about making a shift lightt.. simple to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
VorteC said:
hhmm. i thought you have a 5at
At least it looks cool.....

I know a dude who put a 11000RPM tachometer (those huge ones with a huge shift light that you put on a dash) on his stock Automatic Accord. Now that is :slap:

But hey, if you're happy with it, that is all that matters.......

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Daffunda said:
At least it looks cool.....

I know a dude who put a 11000RPM tachometer (those huge ones with a huge shift light that you put on a dash) on his stock Automatic Accord. Now that is :slap:

But hey, if you're happy with it, that is all that matters.......
lol yea exactly it looks good... plus when i run it i use sportsshift cuz the auto is slower.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts