Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Honda to get my check engine light code read and they informed me that I will need to replace all four ignition coils. They quoted me 144 + tax each. That seem awfully high. So all together including install was 740 plus tax. Is there a reputable place online to get the coils a lot cheaper?
Thanks in advance.

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
all four need replacing? that seems very odd that all four went out at the same time. i recently had a bad one replaced that was causing a cylinder misfire - P0304 if i remember correctly. the code would tell you what cylinders are misfiring. did the dealership give you the code(s)?

try curry acura for good pricing (+ shipping though, sometimes local dealers will match prices)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Amazon has it cheaper or check rock auto. Btw P0300 is a random misfire. Could be spark plugs or a leak in the vacuum system. It's hard to believe all coils would go at once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah I know it is hard to believe but we checked for a vacuum leak and I the changed spark plugs and still nothing changed. It was when I was sitting idle the Rpm's would bounce around and cause the check engine light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I replaced all the coil packs and checked the spark plugs before putting everything back a couple of days ago and they looked fine. I have a scan tool so I cleared the check engine light and it seemed to be running fine. Today the check engine light came back on and it was a cylinder 1 misfire. My question is what else could be happening?
I originally brought the car into Honda complaining of a rough idle. The rpm's would jump from 500-900 and the engine felt like it would stall from time to time. I told them it goes away once I am driving. They said to replace the coil pack which I did but it is back.
Some advice would be a great help. Car has 177000 kms by the way.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Did you change the spark plugs? They are supposed to be changed every 100k miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here is what you do. Turn on the car and leave it running. Plug out the coil from each cylinder one at a time and note if the engine dies out. Maybe one of the coils you bought is defective. Did you go with OEM coils?

·
Registered
834 Posts
So I replaced all the coil packs and checked the spark plugs before putting everything back a couple of days ago and they looked fine. I have a scan tool so I cleared the check engine light and it seemed to be running fine. Today the check engine light came back on and it was a cylinder 1 misfire. My question is what else could be happening?
I originally brought the car into Honda complaining of a rough idle. The rpm's would jump from 500-900 and the engine felt like it would stall from time to time. I told them it goes away once I am driving. They said to replace the coil pack which I did but it is back.
Some advice would be a great help. Car has 177000 kms by the way.
Could be your O2 sensor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I changed the plugs before the coil pack hoping for a cheaper fix to the problem. I will give that a shot when I get off next.
Would a bad o2 sensor give a misfire code?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its now saying a misfire in cylinder cylinder and shift solenoid valve B misfunction. Any idea's on what the hell is going on with this damn car? When at idle it bounces from 600-900rpm and then goes away once I start driving. By the way it an Auto.

·
Registered
427 Posts
you have electrical issues... your ecu may be shorted * compromised*. Try pulling your negative terminal for a full battery reset. As for the idle, try doing a IDLE relearn on the car, you may need to google it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any recommendations to ignition coils these days, or is "from the dealer" the ONLY right answer? I'm finding used sets of 4 Denso's for about 90usd.
At the dealers locally, Acura part # 30520 rwc a01, price for each is about 90usd. Based on findings of others on this/other boards, "all k series ignition coils are interchangeable".

Did my spark plugs on the k24a2 this weekend, found one of the Denso 099700-070 ignition coils cracked (in the rubber boot area up top), sourced a cheap "TEC tc-28a" locally for use temporarily.
No complaints, I like the Denso, had no issues, pulled strong for the tuned 7600rpm limit, and the bonus is that it uses the same ignition coil as my weekend toy VFR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would never buy a used coil from any brand. Dealer is not necessary but $90 is a good price so I would go with that. I replaced mine with a set of duralast from autozone and have had no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would never buy a used coil from any brand. Dealer is not necessary but $90 is a good price so I would go with that. I replaced mine with a set of duralast from autozone and have had no problems.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if the Denso's lasted 150k since the swap by the previous owner, runs and was tuned to good numbers for most of that duty, I'm inclined to repeat their success.
In either case, I found a set with only 10,000 miles on them from a local fella with the same VFR bike, so I got a set of 4 low mileage denso for a steal and a song. Happy camper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts