Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just found out about this this past weekend. They really need to find a better way of letting us know new laws being passed..sheesh!!

Anyways, IL passed a left lane law. What do ya'll think of it?

HB 1574-Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Prohibits excessive use of the left lane of controlled access and other multilane highways except when certain conditions exist. Provides that a vehicle may not be driven to the left of another vehicle on those highways for a distance exceeding one-half mile. Provides that the prohibition does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles while using emergency lighting or to law enforcement vehicles engaged in official duties.

Edit: I think this may be old news, I remember hearing about it, but found about it this week.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Its just another way they can use to help balance the state's budget woes.:rolleyes:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I hope they don't abuse it. :(

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
I am not sure I understand this. Is it saying that you can only use the fast lane (lane all the way to the left) to pass, and you cannot stay in it?
Here, especially in L.A., we need every lane we can get.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
......Provides that a vehicle may not be driven to the left of another vehicle on those highways for a distance exceeding one-half mile.....
I swear I don't understand what this means.
"To the left of another vehicle" is the problem part. I'm not kidding, I have no idea whatsoever.
You mean, immediately next to it? People who do that should be shot anyway. But I assume that's not it.

Anyway, I breathed a sigh of relief when I read the post. At first I was afraid you meant that now cars have to drive "on the left" in Illinois, a la England etc.

That would really present a problem when you cross the state borders. :D

Edit: Thanks Joker! So, I'm not the only genius who's stupid. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving. You can stay in the fast lane as long as there isn't a cop behind or in front. Thats how I look at it....if I see a cop I'll just move to the right.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
That would never fly here. There are just too many people (cars) jamming the freeways at all times. We have an emergency lane to the left, that is not used for traffic on most highways, but the fast lane is the most used lane on the road. The only time you need to get out of it here, is to yield to someone who is coming up on you going much faster. Move over, let him pass, and back in. It makes so sense to me why IL would waste a lane like that :confused:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
The formula to this new Illinois law:

Left Lane Law = Revenue to help with State's budget woes.

Pretty much makes for another reason ISP can pull you over and more money for the State.....like this.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Sure! But I think IL should amend the law so that if the driver blocking the left lane is in an SUV, he or she should not just be fined, but be neutered.

:D

FWIW I believe this is THE LAW in the State of New Jersey and that it is never, ever enforced!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob shiftright said:
Sure! But I think IL should amend the law so that if the driver blocking the left lane is in an SUV, he or she should not just be fined, but be neutered.

:D

FWIW I believe this is THE LAW in the State of New Jersey and that it is never, ever enforced!
YEAH!! I swear SUV drivers are the worst.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Actually, you may surprised how many states have this law to begin with. I remember distinctly in my drivers-ed classes that you should not drive in the left lane -- it's for passing only.

That being said, most of these laws have provisions where in heavy traffic, all bets are off and any lane can be used.

It's quite common to see this behavior on 2 lane roads in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, when there is little traffic. Everyone rides in the right lane, and the left lane is used to pass. It's a little alien to me because no one drives like that here in Maryland, but when I'm in those situations, I do the same thing.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Ferg said:
That being said, most of these laws have provisions where in heavy traffic, all bets are off and any lane can be used.
That makes more sense, but I am still not understanding the logic to this law :confused:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
And I understand the logic, but I still don't understand IT!!!

What exactly can't you do? :donno:
You mean, basically, you can't "drive" there, you can only use it to pass?

I guess that's basically it -- but how they define it, I totally don't get. And the definition is important.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
YEAH!! I swear SUV drivers are the worst.
My only objections about SUVs are that they're slow, in front of me, and impossible to see around. If somebody wants to keep an SUV in the privacy of his or her own garage I have no problem with that. It's (still) a free country, after all. :D

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
And I understand the logic, but I still don't understand IT!!!

What exactly can't you do? :donno:
You mean, basically, you can't "drive" there, you can only use it to pass?

I guess that's basically it -- but how they define it, I totally don't get. And the definition is important.
I'll go waaaay out on a limb and say IMO it means you can't block the left lane, larch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This law went into effect beginning of this year.

There is no way this can possibly be enforced in the Chicago area.
On the 2 lane rual highways I always thought this was the rule anyway. Now it just means you can get ticketed for it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Anyways, IL passed a left lane law. What do ya'll think of it?

HB 1574-Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Prohibits excessive use of the left lane of controlled access and other multilane highways except when certain conditions exist. Provides that a vehicle may not be driven to the left of another vehicle on those highways for a distance exceeding one-half mile. Provides that the prohibition does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles while using emergency lighting or to law enforcement vehicles engaged in official duties.

Edit: I think this may be old news, I remember hearing about it, but found about it this week.
That law is worded very badly and will be next to impossible to enforce consistently.

"Left of another vehicle"? It doesn't say the left lane... so in other words, it's basically saying that they want everyone to be driving in the right lane at all times. Talk about causing confusion on the roads. Everyone will be constantly changing lanes... causing more chances for accidents.

*Edit: Actually, I see that the second sentence says the left lane, but the third sentence says "left of another vehicle". Like I said... badly worded and next to impossible to enforce. If anything, it should address people impeding traffic in the left lane.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Cool, this mean you guys now pass on the right side shoulder? :rolleyes:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Nobody else is coming right out and saying it, but I swear it looks like I'm right that it's not well defined. Actually I guess SJLee really said the same thing.

We do know basically what they mean, of course. But I don't think anybody knows EXACTLY, SPECIFICALLY what they're saying. And I guess I put more emphasis on that than most people do, and although it is a bit anal, I think it's justified, because when it comes to something like this, if it's not clear EXACTLY SPECIFICALLY what's being said, it's completely worthless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts