Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Today I got oil change done on my 04 TSX at Honda dealership. I usually go to Acura dealership but this place is convenient and no appointment is needed. I asked them if they service other brands and they said Honda and Acura only. So I figured Honda/Acura close enough so I went for the service.

After getting oil changed and coming home I noticed two things: 1) the oil they've use is very clear, (my old oil was kinda dark so i got it replaced even though I only drove 4K miles since my last oil change at acura dealership). This new oil has very light golden color and doesnt appear that viscous. Should I be concerned with this? On the paperwork they havent mentioned what oil they used. But if they put, say 5w20 instead of 5w30, is it OK? What should be the normal color/density of fresh oil?

2) they put a comment on the paper that "oil plug cover is worn / broken". Is that a concern? They didnt mention anything to me verbally, i guess they dont stock that part. Is this something I can get on my own and replace it? Any one know the part #?

Would appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks in advance.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Neither is a major concern. The plug cover is just a plastic door. Mine broke a long time ago. The lighter oil won't harm the engine

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
138 Posts
yea, the oil being a lighter color is a good thing. Means its fresh. Also the plastic oil drain door being broken is no big deal. I don't even have one anymore because it makes oil changes easier.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Regional (United States)
1,204 Posts
5W/30 is the recommended for the car, and it's a light golden color when it's fresh.

Call the dealer and get a quote for the drain plug flap door. It's not a necessity, but depending on where you live/drive, it may help keep gunk/dirt/mud from accumulating on the drain plug area.

·
Registered
130 Posts
yeah 5w30 is what you suppose to run...the thinner oil is supposed to increase gas mielage which is why newer engine are designed to tighter tolerances to use it...also i really woundnt ever worry about going to a honda dealership opsed to a acura one...for the most part, when they send their techs to school to be honda or acura certified...its the same exact school...because ultimately its the same shit THE END lol i worked at a honda dealership and my best friend worked at acura and now works at honda....its all interchangeable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts