Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that our 2005 TSX gets crap for gas mileage now. It is down to about 15-17 miles per gallon. Our TSX is used for my commuting to working 3.5 miles away. Since we live so close, I usually get about 3 more round trips (home-work) after the fuel light comes on. I had to fill up after 268 miles on the last full tank of gas. I am nearing a 3/4 tank in this tank of gas and I am just at 45 miles on the trip counter.

I am open to suggestions on how to improve our fuel mileage with both major and minor maintenance projects.

Please help!

Thanks,
Javier

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
1) Get your foot out of it. I have 180,000 miles on my car, a couple of power mods etc. I get no less than 24mpg and I'm getting 32mpg. I average 28.6 and get 400+ miles to a tank. I drive in sport shift mode. I have an 2005.

2) Change spark-plugs, set proper gap.

3) Change air filter.

4) Change the oil/oil filter.

5) Change your fuel filter.

6) Inflate your tires to the proper PSI.

All these can increase the efficiency of the engine.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow something doesn't seem right. I keep hearing of people with TSXs getting bad gas mileage while others are getting good. I have about a 60mile commute daily and its a 50/50 of highway and stop and go traffic on the way home. I'm averaging 30mpg on my fill ups and it isn't like I'm hypermiling in neutral, which in fact I am always in gear unless I'm at a stop.

Besides maintenance things like oil changes, filters, and checking your tire pressure, your driving habits are your best bet for improving mileage. Since you work so close I'm guessing you are mainly doing city driving. Accelerate slowly and be in the tallest gear (if you have a manual transmission) to keep your revs down with out lugging the engine. This is a hardest concept for people to understand that drive manual. If you don't need to accelerate quickly, then there is no need to be in the higher rpms that have more power. This is what I love most about our close ratio manual transmissions. There is always a proper gear for city putting without being in excessive rpms. I'm usually shifting between 2500-3000rpms depending on the situation.

Also try to catch the greenlights. If I see a traffic ahead of me waiting for a greenlight, I usually slow down early in hopes of the light turning green and traffic starting to flow by the time I get there. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. Hope these tips help. Also use premium. The end.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
If you perform regular maintenance on the car, you shouldn't have a problem with mileage.

How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is all city driving. I am aware of my driving habits and I honestly think I am pretty easy on the throttle. I got 69K miles on it now. I just checked my tire pressures and didn't need to adjust (all four at 30psi).

When we first got the car the mpgs were beautiful, OKC to South Austin on 1 tank of gas. When we lived in Mansfield tx, I commuted 110 miles (roundtrip) to work, and mpgs were still about right (DFW traffic from North Dallas to SE Fort Worth). Now I am commuting about 7 miles round trip, through subdivisions and speeds from 35-40 mph here in the Vancouver WA. Although we have been on time with regular mileage maintenance, we have excluded some items in the past due to monetary constraints. ( i can already hear the groans). couldn't always afford the full work up. Lesson learned(ing). Thank you for you guys feedback. I will consult with the family CFO and get caught up on the maintenance. Hopefully, we can prevent worse problems from occuring, I hope we are not too late.

thanks again

Javier

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
a note on driving habits:

pretty much all I see people post about driving habits are how heavy they are on the
throttle. that's the wrong way to analyze your driving if you ask me. backwards as I
see it. what you should focus on is your brake pedal, not your gas pedal.

how often do you brake, and how hard? do you speed up just so you can slow right down
at the next light or turn? you don't have to drive fast to suck at driving. I know several
people that will touch their brakes going around gentle turns and such. actually, when
I'm out driving, about 1/4 of the time I see someone's brake lights come on, they never
needed to be touched in the first place.

hitting your brake pedal too much, or at the wrong times is probably the single worst habit
you can have if you're concerned with gas mileage or with wear and tear on your vehicle.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
This seems WAY low. I drive almost entirely around the city. In traffic, it can take you an hour to go 2 miles. Even so, I haven't seen anything worse than 17mpg. On the weekends if I get to take her out of town, I've gotten as good as 27mpg. I consider myself to be heavy on the accelerator too.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
a note on driving habits:

pretty much all I see people post about driving habits are how heavy they are on the
throttle. that's the wrong way to analyze your driving if you ask me. backwards as I
see it. what you should focus on is your brake pedal, not your gas pedal.

how often do you brake, and how hard? do you speed up just so you can slow right down
at the next light or turn? you don't have to drive fast to suck at driving. I know several
people that will touch their brakes going around gentle turns and such. actually, when
I'm out driving, about 1/4 of the time I see someone's brake lights come on, they never
needed to be touched in the first place.

hitting your brake pedal too much, or at the wrong times is probably the single worst habit
you can have if you're concerned with gas mileage or with wear and tear on your vehicle.
Good point I forgot to mention. I try mostly to allow the car to do most of the slowing down by itself. On highways I hardly ever touch my brakes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have you changed tires? I drive on dedicated winters (Michelin ice X2) and then switch over to my dedicated summers (Hankook evo 12). Both tires reduced my mileage significantly. More resistance I guess. They were never designed like the stock Michelin's for mileage.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
just a suggestion-take it on a nice highway drive for at least 20+miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a newby to the Acura world- always had Honda accords. I too am really disappointed that my 2005 TSX at best makes 21 mpg city and my 1998 V6 Accord can make 25 mpg or better same driving in the city. I will start looking at each of the suggestions and see what happens. My wife is tired of me complaining- especially when I see the ads for the new TSX with even better mileage quoted. Otherwise- I get tons of compliments on Black TSX looks great and a blast to drive!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts