Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most popular intake systems for the TSX/Euro on the market, this design is a well improved change over the restrictive OEM design. But having driven and used this for awhile now, there could be one aspect to improve this already well made product. The subject here lies with "air flow restriction".

The filter supplied with the Mugen intake is over oiled from factory, now this is good when preventing/capturing dust particles but when it comes to performance, it only brings a slight increase in power gains when compared with the OEM design much restricted by the filter (unfortunately).

You can do one of the following 2 options to rectify and restore the Mugen intake to it's maximum performing potential by either replacing the filter or re-cleaning/oiling the supplied piece by Mugen.

- Replace with a Trust/Greddy yellow foam filter, this is of fairly identical size with the Prelude Type S version.

- Buy a K&N filter cleaning kit and wash/clean out the Mugen intake removing all the original oiling, this time when it comes to re-oiling, do it sparingly instead.

Both methods of shown consistent improvements while increasing throttle/acceleration torque across the entire powerband. It's simply which option you'd prefer to take.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
how would you compare that to an Injen CAI?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Mugen intake shows strong improvement gains from low to mid while the Injen displays a mid to high bias instead. A different powerband style much specific to how the way it's driven. I personally prefer the mid to high end powerband bias. Out of the 3 intakes tested, 2 showed similar characteristics.

Mugen - Low to mid powerband strong torque gains.
Injen & Gruppe M - Mid to high powerband strong hp gains.

The Mugen is still a very conservative, factory OEM style design. Just further reduced restrictions IMO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Mugen does not look much different fromt he Comptech version.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I wonder who is the inspirator and who is the copier ... :loser:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust/GReddy didn't or hasn't made an OEM replacement filter for the TSX/Euro. The only reason why the Mugen one's got one is because the airbox happens to be identical in size with the BB6 Prelude Type S.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apologies ... I wasn't thinking correctly ... You're right on the filter style/type.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Noel said:
The Mugen intake shows strong improvement gains from low to mid while the Injen displays a mid to high bias instead. A different powerband style much specific to how the way it's driven. I personally prefer the mid to high end powerband bias. Out of the 3 intakes tested, 2 showed similar characteristics.

Mugen - Low to mid powerband strong torque gains.
Injen & Gruppe M - Mid to high powerband strong hp gains.

The Mugen is still a very conservative, factory OEM style design. Just further reduced restrictions IMO.
do you have actually dynos? Independent not from the makers that is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Comptech Icebox -which as we know is a similar design to the Mugen airbox. That is, save for the horn on the icebox - see below. Do you think removing the horn is worth doing? In theory the horn is creating a restriction that only limits the flow of air that can enter the box. If I remove the horn - the entry into the air box is not restricted. It is drawing the same air from under the car as the air from the horn - just at a higher level. The air will enter the rubber part of the photo without going through bends.

It isn't hot engine bay air in this area either.

What do you think? I think of the horn as just like sucking air through a long straw - it is harder to suck air through a long straw than a short straw right? So why make a long pipe (with bends) when a short will do?

What do you think? Or should I keep off the crack. :laugh: Maybe Mugen got it right with their box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts