Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying an Acura TSX in 2-3 years.. how much do you think it'll be by then? Is it wiser to just get a new one?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Welcome to the site! Get the new one while nobody has it and in 2-3 years get something else :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Alli said:
I'm thinking of buying an Acura TSX in 2-3 years.. how much do you think it'll be by then? Is it wiser to just get a new one?
Well, if the TSX hold its price as well as the 4-door GSR, then I'd say that you're looking at paying anywhere from $20,000 to $22,000 at a used dealership.

It depends on what you mean by "wiser". It almost never "wise" to get a brand new car... especially one that is as reliable as a Honda/Acura.

If you feel that having a brand new car with a full warranty is worth the few extra thousand over a slightly used one, then you should get a new one.

I would wait, if I were you, at least a year for them to get all the bugs worked out of the car before ever considering buying a new one. True, more of them will be out there at that time, but you won't have to worry about the little bugs that they uncover. In addition... you never know... a Type S might be available by then.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Alli said:
It'd "wiser" to buy a NEW 4 cylinder/5 speed Accord LX or EX @/near dealer invoice and invest the cost delta into an SP500 index fund.;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Re: In 2-3 years..

harddrivin1le said:
It'd "wiser" to buy a NEW 4 cylinder/5 speed Accord LX or EX @/near dealer invoice and invest the cost delta into an SP500 index fund.;)
Yeah, investing in a S&P500 index fund has been great lately....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: In 2-3 years..

harddrivin1le said:
Yes, it is. It's up ~ 22% in the last 3 months.:D

And a low(er) market is THE BEST TIME to invest! ;)
Three months?! The brief increase has made little headway into the drop over the past couple years.

Investing when the market is low is ONLY good when the market is about to go back up.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In 2-3 years..

sjlee said:
Three months?! The brief increase has made little headway into the drop over the past couple years.

Investing when the market is low is ONLY good when the market is about to go back up.
I'm not suggesting that he invest "over the past couple of years."

I'm suggesting that he do so now or, better yet, 3 months ago.

NOW is not "the past couple of years." You know that, right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In 2-3 years..

harddrivin1le said:
I'm not suggesting that he invest "over the past couple of years."

I'm suggesting that he do so now or, better yet, 3 months ago.

NOW is not "the past couple of years." You know that, right?:rolleyes:
3 months ago? Do you think he has a time machine? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

You cannot tell anyone that if they invest in any given mutual fund, that they will not lose money or see a appreciable gain. Well, actually, you can "tell" people, but it doesn't mean it will actually happen.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In 2-3 years..

sjlee said:
3 months ago? Do you think he has a time machine? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

You cannot tell anyone that if they invest in any given mutual fund, that they will not lose money or see a appreciable gain. Well, actually, you can "tell" people, but it doesn't mean it will actually happen.
Don't invest in stocks.

And buy the TSX (vs an Accord EX/5 speed/leather @ invoice).

That sounds like the smart move to me.;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
It really isn't a bad move. The TSX is a much nicer looking car than the accord (subjective), and it's on a stiffer chassis. It has a better engine and a ton of extra features. If you added everything the TSX had onto an accord EX, it would cost nearly the same anyway, except the TSX is factory built (which is always better than aftermarket build quality)

·
Banned
478 Posts
TeC said:
It really isn't a bad move. The TSX is a much nicer looking car than the accord (subjective), and it's on a stiffer chassis. It has a better engine and a ton of extra features. If you added everything the TSX had onto an accord EX, it would cost nearly the same anyway, except the TSX is factory built (which is always better than aftermarket build quality)
Factory built is "always better than aftermarket build quality?"

So a nice Kenwood Stereo (head unit and amp) with Infinity Kappas all around and Koni shocks @ all 4 corners would WORSEN the TSX?:confused: :rolleyes:

Prove that the TSX's BASIC STRUCTURE (torsional and bending rigidity) is "much stiffer" than the Accords. The TSX's SUSPENSION is stiffer.

If it has a "better engine" then why does it require PREMIUM fuel to get ~ 18% FEWER MPGs out of the same displacement?

·
Registered
954 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
Factory built is "always better than aftermarket build quality?"

So a nice Kenwood Stereo (head unit and amp) with Infinity Kappas all around and Koni shocks @ all 4 corners would WORSEN the TSX?:confused: :rolleyes:

Prove that the TSX's BASIC STRUCTURE (torsional and bending rigidity) is "much stiffer" than the Accords. The TSX's SUSPENSION is stiffer.

If it has a "better engine" then why does it require PREMIUM fuel to get ~ 18% FEWER MPGs out of the same displacement?
It requires premium fuel because it has a higher compression ratio.

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:
It requires premium fuel because it has a higher compression ratio.
I know that...

And a higher compression ratio INCREASES THERMODYNAMIC EFFICIENCY, which should IMPROVE gas mileage (along with POWER).

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/octane.html

"A high compression motor, however, needs more octane to reduce knock. In such a case, switching to a higher octane fuel would reduce the effects of knock, leading to a more efficient combustion process. This creates more power and better fuel economy."

And the TSX's "low restriction exhaust" and "tuned intake plenum" should INCREASE VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY, which should also IMPROVE mileage (along with POWER).

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-1F08-45719F59-3A4BD447-prod3

Additionally, the TSX has SIX (6) gears to play with vs the Accord's 5...That's yet ANOTHER advantage that SHOULD improve both MPG (@ least on the highway) and PERFORMANCE (Slightly lower and tighter ratios 1 -5, plus a dedictated "economy/cruising" 6th).

Despite all those advantages (plus other hype like "throttle by wire"), the TSX it LOSES 5 mpg city and 5 mpg highway (vs Accord 4 cyl/5 speed/leather with NAV,which is just 121 pounds lighter).

Why is that? :confused:

·
Registered
954 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
I know that...

And a higher compression ratio INCREASES THERMODYNAMIC EFFICIENCY, which should IMPROVE gas mileage (along with POWER).

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/octane.html

"A high compression motor, however, needs more octane to reduce knock. In such a case, switching to a higher octane fuel would reduce the effects of knock, leading to a more efficient combustion process. This creates more power and better fuel economy."

And the TSX's "low restriction exhaust" and "tuned intake plenum" should INCREASE VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY, which should also IMPROVE mileage (along with POWER).

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-1F08-45719F59-3A4BD447-prod3

Additionally, the TSX has SIX (6) gears to play with vs the Accord's 5...That's yet ANOTHER advantage that SHOULD improve both MPG (@ least on the highway) and PERFORMANCE (Slightly lower and tighter ratios 1 -5, plus a dedictated "economy/cruising" 6th).

Despite all those advantages (plus other hype like "throttle by wire") it LOSES 5 mpg city and 5 mpg highway (vs Accord 4 cyl/5 speed).

Why is that? :confused:
We've already gone over this... why do you keep on asking the same questions?

Having a 6th gear will only improve mileage if the first five gears had the same ratios on both cars. The TSX's transmission is geared differently than the Accord.

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:
We've already gone over this... why do you keep on asking the same questions?

Having a 6th gear will only improve mileage if the first five gears had the same ratios on both cars. The TSX's transmission is geared differently than the Accord.
But the TSX has SIX gears while the Accord has but 5....

Why isn't the TSX's 6th geared @ least as high (numerically as low or lower) as the Accord's 5th?

Why doesn't the TSX's higher CR, lower backpressure exhaust and "tuned intake" help fuel economy?

What good is "throttle by wire" when a simple cable (as the Accord uses) obviously does the job at least as well and won't fail if electronic gremlins decide to rear their ugly little heads?

·
Registered
954 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
But the TSX has SIX gears while the Accord has but 5....

Why isn't the TSX's 6th geared @ least as high (numerically as low or lower) as the Accord's 5th?

Why doesn't the TSX's higher CR, lower backpressure exhaust and "tuned intake" help fuel economy?

What good is "throttle by wire" when a simple cable (as the Accord uses) obviously does the job at least as well and won't fail if electronic gremlins decide to rear their ugly little heads?
What kind of questions are those to ask anyone here? Why don't you direct them to someone who can actually answer that... like a Honda/Acura engineer? Any of them on this board?

·
Banned
478 Posts
sjlee said:
What kind of questions are those to ask anyone here? Why don't you direct them to someone who can actually answer that... like a Honda/Acura engineer? Any of them on this board?
They're not on here...

They're still trying to figure out how a "low tech" 2 valve/cyl, pushrod, all iron (block and heads), 3.8 liter V6 makes 205 HP, 230 LB-FT and still yields 20 city/29 highway in a 3,800 pound car using 87 octane fuel. ;)

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/bui...ml?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..8.Buick*

1 - 20 of 23 Posts