Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should have been Honda :(

Nissan's Infiniti division this year will be the first U.S. company to offer lane departure warning systems, which use technology that could dramatically cut down on one of the leading causes of highway traffic accidents and could offset the growing concern that drivers have too many distractions from cell phones and entertainment systems.

The device, which warns the driver if the vehicle leaves a lane without engaging the turn signal, is part of a growing number of systems, supported by a mandate by the Department of Transportation project, expected to hit the market this decade aimed at helping or forcing drivers to perform better behind the wheel and avoid crashes.

The system, developed by Iteris Inc. uses a small camera mounted to the backside of the rearview mirror that tracks the white lines on the road. It is designed to work only at highway speeds above 45 miles per hour. If the vehicle changes lanes and the turn signal is not on, a lighted icon appears on the instrument panel and a loud beep signals the driver.

The Department of Transportation says 55 percent of fatal accidents are caused by unintended lane departure. In 2002, the most recent year of statistics available, there were more than six million vehicle crashes in the U.S., causing over 42,000 fatalities, nearly three million injuries and more than $230 million in property damage.

Driver distraction, inattention, and drowsiness lead the causes of such accidents.

The Department of Transportation has supported development of the Iteris system through its "Intelligent Vehicle Initiative," a series of studies seeking improvements in technology, regulation and transportation infrastructure. A study examining lane departure and driver distraction will conclude this year. Most carmakers, including Ford, DaimlerChrysler, and Honda are all looking at such lane departure warning systems, but they haven't announced launch plans yet.

Infiniti, as well as Jaguar, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz on some models offer "adaptive cruise control" that automatically controls braking and acceleration to maintain a safe gap between the vehicle and the one ahead.

Other, more intrusive systems are in the works. Nissan, Ford, and other manufacturers, for example, are even testing in-cabin cameras that monitor a driver's eye movement and position to help determine if the driver is attentive when an event like an unintended lane departure takes place. In such a case of lane departure, torque and brake pressure would be applied to the wheels to get the car back in the correct lane if, for example, the driver is dozing.

While the intent of all the new technology seems noble, scientists studying the effect on the driver say going slower is better. Some critics say in-vehicle multi-tasking on cell-phones, DVD players, voice-activated e-mail and Internet services are all distracting drivers from focusing on the job of driving a two-ton vehicle.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6994&sid=173&n=156

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hip said:

Some critics say in-vehicle multi-tasking on cell-phones, DVD players, voice-activated e-mail and Internet services are all distracting drivers from focusing on the job of driving a two-ton vehicle.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6994&sid=173&n=156
Hard to believe isn't it? It's always interesting to me how few in government or the auto industry will take repsonsiblity for the real problem... us.

How about stricter laws (similar to Europe) in order to get a license and frequent testing to keep it? Naaah, why would anyone want that? :rolleyes:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Thats something that would make it safer for other people on the roads. Also, new for '04 in Hondas is the seat belt reminders that beep and flash on the instro cluster. My TSX and CR-V don't have this reminder thank goodness! I don't like being told to do things and would find that annoying...

Always buckle up!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I would absolutely hate this.

First off, I always signal when I change lanes UNLESS THERE'S NOBODY ANYWHERE AROUND (see below), so I don't need this to make me do that.

And second, I don't know about any of y'all, but occasionally I purposely straddle the lines or cross them, IF THERE'S NOBODY ANYWHERE NEAR ME. Like, on curves, I'll "cut the corners," sometimes going back and forth across 2 or 3 or 4 lanes. Or, when the road is snowy or very wet, sometimes it's the edges of the road that are the worst, and if nobody else is anywhere near, I just find the clearest straightaway area, which often involves straddling two lanes.

This is one feature that I'd go out of my way to avoid. If it were an option, I wouldn't get it. And if it were a standard feature that couldn't be disabled, I'd look hard for a different car to get.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
larchmont said:
I don't know about any of y'all, but occasionally I purposely straddle the lines or cross them, IF THERE'S NOBODY ANYWHERE NEAR ME. Like, on curves, I'll "cut the corners," sometimes going back and forth across 2 or 3 or 4 lanes. Or, when the road is snowy or very wet, sometimes it's the edges of the road that are the worst, and if nobody else is anywhere near, I just find the clearest straightaway area, which often involves straddling two lanes.

Wow, I sure wouldn't go braggin' about this kinda driving. Even if there's no nobody anywhere near you.

First you never know who is watching especially with video surveillance on almost all major roads. Plus, unmarked cars could be the police. In this day of heightened security, the last thing you need to be doing is exhibiting erratic behavior.

And second, on snowy or wet conditions you are really jeopordizing your safety.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
hip said:
Wow, I sure wouldn't go braggin' about this kinda driving. Even if there's no nobody anywhere near you.

First you never know who is watching especially with video surveillance on almost all major roads. Plus, unmarked cars could be the police. In this day of heightened security, the last thing you need to be doing is exhibiting erratic behavior.

And second, on snowy or wet conditions you are really jeopordizing your safety.
Yeah, I wouldn't brag about it, but I'm not self-conscious or worried about it either.

If I ever got stopped or notified or anything because of that, I'd explain, and if they didn't like my explanation I'd shrug, accept the penalty, and go on like I did before. In any event I think this is so unlikely that I can't let myself worry about it.

About jeopardizing my safety on snowy or wet conditions: It's just the opposite -- as I said up there, safety is THE REASON for doing it.

Makes me wonder if you just misunderstood what I was saying, maybe because you were so taken by my lawlessness. :D

Not to mention disdain for technological "progress." :D

But I'll bet you -- big-time -- that I'm going to be far from alone on this, and maybe even (gulp) in the majority. It might be like what Bob S. said on the Antilock thread about that thing where briefly in 1974 new cars couldn't start unless you had the seat belt on -- "Congress killed this law within 6 months when they were swamped with letters from their annoyed constituents."

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11737#post11737

You heard it here first. :D

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
hip said:
Ummm, what major roads would they be... in the east? I'm not aware of this

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jcg878 said:
Ummm, what major roads would they be... in the east? I'm not aware of this
Not sure if there is a definitive website for this, but if you do a "google" on traffic cams or cameras, you;re bound to find some for your state.

·
in search of PW threads
301 Posts
hip said:
Not sure if there is a definitive website for this, but if you do a "google" on traffic cams or cameras, you;re bound to find some for your state.
Hmmm. I thought those traffic cams were used primarily to estimate traffic density; I don't think they have resolution sufficient to identify vehicles and read license plates.

For Boston area traffic camera views, see http://www.boston.com/traffic/

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
I guess I would be okay with it as long as the default setting was "off". I wouldn't mind having this available if I were driving at night, very late, and would like the option to turn the feature on.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ferg said:
I guess I would be okay with it as long as the default setting was "off".....
Don't know if you're kidding, Ferg? Probably kidding and serious at the same time.

I didn't see anything that suggested you could disable it or turn it off. I'd be totally fine with it also if you could.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
See Larch, new innovation / technology, how cost effective will it be to implement? How much will most pay for it? I know you don't like it, but many will. Insurance companies will probably embrace it with discounts.

Too bad, we all just don't drive better and without distractions, maybe this would be unnecessary?

Bet I see several of these at SEMA this year along with TPMS?

http://www.iteris.com/news/101403.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts