Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I have some fun and try installing pro-kit springs myself? My father owns a garage with a hydrolic lift and all... Or should I just pay and have some shop around town throw them on for me?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you ever installed springs in a car before? Does your father have a spring compressor? Impact wrench? If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you should be able to do the install. However, it can be dangerous b/c the spring is compressed on the strut assembly and if you are not careful, you can seriously injure yourself when removing it. If this is your very first time working on a car, I would suggest a more basic project before doing this install.

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts
yea if you dont know what your doing.... id suggest having a mechanic do it

but if you do decide to diy... then be careful

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a little bit of car experience. My dad and I rebuild muscle cars every now and then - we've done two so far. I'm not sure if he has a spring compressor (if he doesn't I'm wasting my breathe), but he has all the other necessary tools, that I'm sure of. Anyway, I decided against the springs. I'm just gonna pitch in the extra cash and buy the A-Spec set up. I'm not willing to dish out a grand on something that isn't too extremely important to me. I'm not all that into super performance - I just want something that handles decent (stock is good enough for me) and looks sharp (A-spec drops an inch, so I've heard)

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can read more on the Aspec set up in a couple of other threads. 1" drop is about right. Since it comes as a complete preassembled spring/strut unit, it is a relatively easy and basic installation and does not require a spring compressor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of the A-Spec... I've read a few other posts around here regarding it but still have a question. I have a 2005 TSX and I called the dealer yesterday asking about their A-Spec... They said that they actually didn't make it for the 05 TSX yet and that the 04 model won't bolt on the same way. I've read that the 04 and 05 tsx are the same set up so the 04 A-Spec kit will work on both. This mechanic at Acura told me otherwise. I still think he's thinking of the RSX (different in 04 than in 05). Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Acumen said:
Speaking of the A-Spec... I've read a few other posts around here regarding it but still have a question. I have a 2005 TSX and I called the dealer yesterday asking about their A-Spec... They said that they actually didn't make it for the 05 TSX yet and that the 04 model won't bolt on the same way. I've read that the 04 and 05 tsx are the same set up so the 04 A-Spec kit will work on both. This mechanic at Acura told me otherwise. I still think he's thinking of the RSX (different in 04 than in 05). Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks! :)
I haven't installed either, but I honestly don't think there is any significant difference btw the 04 and 05 suspension. In fact, this Acura dealer who advertises on ebay lists the same A-spec suspension part number for 04 and 05 models:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7927253948&category=33590&sspagename=WD1V

1 - 8 of 8 Posts