Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a weird issue on my instrument cluster with the temp gauge. The temp gauge does not move at all. It looks like it is stuck 5/8ths way up, even when the car is on or off.

I checked my fuses, had a blown fuse for cooling fan (yellow fuse), so I replaced that.

If I turn on the a/c, both fans turn on properly and everything works.

I am not sure that the cooling fan works alone though. I dont drive the car in traffic alot, usually the car is moving and havent heard it turn on. I need to know what to diagnose to fix this issue? The gauge is on 5/8ths and does not move at all. (Is it a thermostat, cooling temp sensor?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still need help. Where should I start?

I can also add my radiator top hose is hot, the bottom hose is cold. The heat and cooling both work properly in the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The hot upper hose and cold lower hose sounds like a problem with a stuck closed thermostat. If you are due to change the coolant, get a new thermostat from the dealership.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving?

I found this test in my shop manual the other day. It tests the gauges.

1. Push and hold hte trip/reset button
2. Turn the headlights ON.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4. Within 5 seconds, turn the headlights OFF, then ON, then OFF again.

5. Within 5 seconds, release the trip/reset button, and then push and release the button three times repeatedly.

Once it goes through the tests, the odometer will either show all 8s (normal) or give an error 1, error 2, or error 3.

·
still plays with cars
328 Posts
Your problem is either the gauge itself or the circuit that controls it. Forget the other comments, it should go to "cold" when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not 100% sure if the engine cooling fan turns on when the a/c is off, I have never heard it so I am going to asume that it does not turn on. (could this be the coolant temp switch? or thermostat? or coolant temp sensor?) Again, I have perfect a/c and perfect heat. Both fans turn on when the a/c is on.

My gauge does not work at all, it stays 5/8ths all the time, day and night, on or off, just stays there, never moves at all. The gas gauge moves, starts at E when the car is off and moves to the correct level of fuel when turned on.

Car also has no CEL codes, nothing wrong with it, no smoking, no weird noises, burns some oil (its an 04) burns about 1 qt every 1500 miles.

I am going to try the gauge test posted above and see if that works and update my post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I tried the gauge reset method, took a couple tries but finally got them to swivel. The temp gauge is not moving at all, all the other gauges are functional. So thus I think it is either the gauge or circuit which controls it for sure. So I am relieved that I know its the gauge and that the car is not overheating.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
I would purchase the factory service manual and follow the trouble shooting charts. I can post it this weekend when I get some time but it will help you elminate anything mechanical and track down the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts